• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 382 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

thehog said:
IndianCyclist said:
Based on Stage 15 and Froome's comments after that about DSQ, none are going to get renewed.

Sky's hiring policy mean means they are now going to have a lot of riders getting poor race selection who are not so happy riding for Froome. These guys won't have a hope in hell matching their Sky's salary so they have to show all they can for a contract that might just get there. Boswell will probably get to stay on though, he was training with Froome in South Africa and rode the Giro.

:rolleyes: They already have contracts for 2017.

To be fair to the team, aside from the stage 15 disaster they've ridden pretty well. Won the team time trial, ridden pretty well on the flat and Konig, Lopez and Kennaugh have been strong on the climbs.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I like Sagan a lot, but Froome is such a great rider. What a season.

He could be on vacation after an awesome tour, but still went and won a medal at Rio, and here he is, doing a terrific Vuelta.

It's clear that if he wasn't burned, he could smoke everyone of the favorites on any single little hill, hill, mountain.

"From our side, it's business as usual, now that we're behind, we're not necessarily going to be trying any crazy sort of tactics to try and make up that time. We've got a way of racing and an approach and we'll stick to that for now and we'll focus on the time trial."

Re:

MacBAir said:

He could be on vacation after an awesome tour, but still went and won a medal at Rio, and here he is, doing a terrific Vuelta.

It's clear that if he wasn't burned, he could smoke everyone of the favorites on any single little hill, hill, mountain.
Contador and Quintana have made it known they would ride veulta if they win the tour. Froome is not special.

Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Contador and Quintana have made it known they would ride veulta if they win the tour. Froome is not special.

Yeah, and Valverde and Nibali were going to ride de Ronde van Vlaanderen. Froome deserves big credit.

Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Getting a 1st and 2nd (if he holds on) in back-to-back GT's is pretty special, been a while since someone did that.

Pricey_sky said:
Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Getting a 1st and 2nd (if he holds on) in back-to-back GT's is pretty special, been a while since someone did that.

The fact that someone got a 3rd and 1st in the exact same year does diminish that achievement somewhat, as it seriously suggests a lack of competition (I'm guessing it wouldn't have been a 3rd if Ventoux hadn't been a) cut short and b) neutralised, but oh well, he podiumed nonetheless)

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Poursuivant said:
"From our side, it's business as usual, now that we're behind, we're not necessarily going to be trying any crazy sort of tactics to try and make up that time. We've got a way of racing and an approach and we'll stick to that for now and we'll focus on the time trial."

:lol: Please tell me that's not a real quote. I hope that Froome is simply too tired to try something and that Froome doesn't actually believe that.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Contador and Quintana never did the Vuelta after winning the tour, so compared to them, Froome is really really special.

MacBAir said:
Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Contador and Quintana never did the Vuelta after winning the tour, so compared to them, Froome is really really special.

Why does that make him special? Genuine question

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

StryderHells said:
MacBAir said:
Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Because it's a rare, hard, tough, noble thing to do and he is the only active rider to have done it. So, special.
He also isn't racing the Vuelta with a wheelsucking attitude, despite already racing so much and having awesome results this year.

Special.

StryderHells said:
MacBAir said:
Scarponi said:
MacBAir said:

Because he has actually done it, and nearly pulled it off (assuming no major changes over last 4 days), while they have only stated that they would.

Hypothetical, If Chavez attacks on Saturday, to put more time between himself and Contador, if you were Froome, would you just sit on Contadors wheel and sacrifice 2nd, just to stop Contador having any chance on the podium?

Froome I think is saving it all for the ITT. He has around a 30W advantage not wearing the official Le Coq Sportive standard skinsuit Quintana will wear (Unless Movistar do a deal with ASO to wear a Bioracer branded as Le Coq) and I notice Sky who used to use the Bioracer skinsuits which were said to be fastest are now using the even faster Rapha skinsuit which is wind tunnel tested to 15-30 seconds faster over 30 mins compared to the Bioracer, so Froome could be seeing 2 minutes for free over the hours ride just from the skinsuit alone because he's not in red. If he can ride 2 minutes faster which is expected as well, it might get him back within touching distance in the TT leaving a big showdown on Saturday to gain the rest. Gonna be fascinating either way.

Re:

samhocking said:
Froome I think is saving it all for the ITT. He has around a 30W advantage not wearing the official Le Coq Sportive standard skinsuit Quintana will wear (Unless Movistar do a deal with ASO to wear a Bioracer branded as Le Coq) and I notice Sky who used to use the Bioracer skinsuits which were said to be fastest are now using the even faster Rapha skinsuit which is wind tunnel tested to 15-30 seconds faster over 30 mins compared to the Bioracer, so Froome could be seeing 2 minutes for free over the hours ride just from the skinsuit alone because he's not in red. If he can ride 2 minutes faster which is expected as well, it might get him back within touching distance in the TT leaving a big showdown on Saturday to gain the rest. Gonna be fascinating either way.
Aboslute nonsense. Perhaps 2-3 watts. 30 watts, at the speeds they will be going, would be the difference between a rider wearing the best skinsuit and one wearing a poorly fitting normal jersey.

TT route between Moraira and Cala Fustera is quite narrow and twisty that it's not completely aerodynamics in this route but rythm and good lines in and out of turns. Pity they didn't route it up along that nice punch through Fanadix, down to Parc Cometa and then back to shoreline road. More play like that ;)

DFA123 said:
samhocking said:
Aboslute nonsense. Perhaps 2-3 watts. 30 watts, at the speeds they will be going, would be the difference between a rider wearing the best skinsuit and one wearing a poorly fitting normal jersey.

3 Watts you can get just using a nopinz speedpocket. It's been measured in Wolfson. Why do you think British Cycling & Sky spend so much money there? The Bioracer speedsuit gains around 30s per 30mins over a standard skinsuit at around 30mph and measured to about a 30W difference. Why do you think Cancellera, Wiggins & Martin always wore Bioracer or others speedsuits even though they were sponsored by other clothing manufacturers. Crikey, Sky even have a clause in their clothing sponsorship that the only item of clothing they didn't have to wear was the skinsuits because they wore Bioracer and other custom suits. Why do you think Sky made all that fuss during Wiggins Tour de France refusing to wear Le Coq Sportive skinsuits and then ASO changed the rules saying you must wear Le Coq Sportive?

samhocking said:
DFA123 said:
samhocking said:

3 Watts you can get just using a nopinz speedpocket. It's been measured in Wolfson. Why do you think British Cycling & Sky spend so much money there? The Bioracer speedsuit gains around 30s per 30mins over a standard skinsuit at around 30mph and measured to about a 30W difference. Why do you think Cancellera, Wiggins & Martin always wore Bioracer or others speedsuits even though they were sponsored by other clothing manufacturers. Crikey, Sky even have a clause in their clothing sponsorship that the only item of clothing they didn't have to wear was the skinsuits because they wore Bioracer and other custom suits. Why do you think Sky made all that fuss during Wiggins Tour de France refusing to wear Le Coq Sportive skinsuits and then ASO changed the rules saying you must wear Le Coq Sportive?

you got a link?

Re:

samhocking said:
LOL.

We need to be serious! :D

He has an advantage because he is bigger and has more total power than Quintana for the TT.

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site

DFA123 said:
samhocking said:

way more than 2-3 watts. If you have 2 skinsuits that are both fitting really well, a castelli skinsuit will save around 15 watts, which is a lot. Bioracer will probably save even a few watts more.

scurrrr said:
DFA123 said:
samhocking said:

way more than 2-3 watts. If you have 2 skinsuits that are both fitting really well, a castelli skinsuit will save around 15 watts, which is a lot. Bioracer will probably save even a few watts more.
lol, no. Do you think that the Vuelta's leaders skin suit is just going to be picked up from bargin basement at Wiggle? It might lose a couple of watts compared with Quintana's latest Endura skinsuit, but to suggest any more is ridiculous. Teams would be up in arms and point blank refuse to wear it if it cost them 30 watts.

Re:

samhocking said:

Suddenly one realizes that he's wearing white jersey...

TRENDING THREADS