• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 391 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
even if it was a route that doesn't suit him perfectly, if he peaks for it, he would still win it. I don't think he will do it next year, maybe in a few years when he starts to decline, he might give it a shot.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

[/quote] Froomebwas vulnerable in the Vuelta, having a bad day or 2 and not once dropping Quintana who also did the Tour. That shape will never be enough in the Tour. [/quote]

Funny.

Stage 4 of Vuelta 2016:

Froome
+ 6s Quintana
+ 28s Contador

Stage 19 of Vuelta 2016:

Froome
+1:57 Conatdor
+2:16 Quintana

GC without Formigal stage:

Froome
+ 1:14 Quintana
+ 5:00 Contador

One helper for Froome in the last 50km of Formigal and he won this little shitty bike race. With the Dauphine win, the Tour win and an Olympic medal in the bag since June....

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Reason why Froome lost the vuelta is the reason why he'll never win the giro against the likes of Nibali unless he has an amazing team or the competition is complete ***

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
2013 wiseguy and this year he didn't win cause of his amazing team.

He forced it himself, jesus man. Think before you write something

Re:

Miburo said:
2013 wiseguy and this year he didn't win cause of his amazing team.

He forced it himself, jesus man. Think before you write something
dear gentleman, play down your ultimate truth tone please. I was saying 'without', not 'because of'. the only thing I'm offering is not to draw a fallacy about Nibs, a legendary rider who wins races because of being a 'wiseguy' and froome, a biorobot who's seems physically unable to win big races without by far the strongest team.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
And now you're even backtracking, you clearly implied that nibali needs an amazing team to win the giro which he doesn't. Froome his ability to win a GT without the sky train has yet to be proven.

Add in to the fact that the giro has crazier turns of events than the tour. Then again the giro is getting so boring

This is a Giro that, in my opinion, Rcs has designed dreaming of Froome. A lot of TT with a 28km completly flat one as final stage. No crazy climbs far from the finish instead very easy climbs in the Ortisei and Asiago stages where a strong team can control. 3 mono-climb stages (Blockhaus, Oropa, Piancavallo) extremely froome-friendly. Only problem for him will be the stelvio stage: 2 times over 2500 with possible rain, cold or blizzard, and then kms of descent,if they attack him here the robot may blink like in formigal.
So if Froome wants to ever win the Giro, that's the perfect occasion. After that he can try the double.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Eh it's still a laughable amount of ITT and Froome actually prefers the stages that are hard all day instead of a single MTF. The discussion here is one half wishful thinking and one half reading leaves from a single tweet.

I don't really know. I find it hard to get an idea of what Froome genuinely thinks of the Giro. He talks more about the Vuelta and wanting to win that than about the Giro. But then the Vuelta doesn't jeopardize any Tour attempt at all. But maybe that's more Sky talking than Froome talking. There's 2 things at play here. One is what Froome wants, the other is what Sky wants. Sky seem very invested in winning as many Tours as possible, as US-Postal was, and Sky ultimately get to decide. I don't think Sky will allow Froome to jeopardize their Tour chances for a very slim chance at the double. But then if there's any year to do it, it's 2017, with the Giro being Il Centesimo, and the parcourses as they are.

Personally I don't believe Froome can win the double if he isn't incredibly lucky. I have a hard time believing
- he'll recover from a Giro like he did from a Tour in which he wasn't attacked at all.
- He'll get through a Tour on a 2nd peak as well as through an unipuerto heavy Vuelta.

I don't think Froome has the base level that Quintana has or Contador had at his peak. I also don't believe he'll manage to reach absolute peak in the Tour after racing the Giro. And I don't believe both Quintana and Contador* will *** up again

All in all, still very slim.

*depends on how you still rate him.

Re:

hazaran said:
Eh it's still a laughable amount of ITT and Froome actually prefers the stages that are hard all day instead of a single MTF. The discussion here is one half wishful thinking and one half reading leaves from a single tweet.

All most impressive Froome performances have been on single mountain finishes after easy stages (Peña Cabarga, Ventoux, Planche des Belles Filles, La Pierre Saint-Martin) controlled perfectly by his team. Froome almost lost to Quintana in 2015 in stages with multiple climbs. He also lost the previous vueltas in complicated stages. The weakness of Froome are the unexpected situations, he is maybe the strongest wattwise but in formigal he went crazy (random attacks, asking valverde to chase, panicking). The route of the past Giri tended to favor fantasy and courage instead of raw power. 2017 is exactly the contrary, the only problematic stage for him is the Stelvio because no team can control that and the weather will be decisive. Survived the Stelvio he would win easily.

I don't know if 67 km of ITT is too little what do you want. Have you seen more ITT in some Grand Tours in the last years?. Or the tour this year with half the mount of ITT?

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
He almost lost to Quintana then because he was sick. He wasn't even keeping up with his doms. Not sure where the result of the past Giri was determined by "fantasy and courage" if we ignore that one "neutralized" stage, in fact I distinctly remember Nibali screaming "370 watts" to his dom as he's riding away on yet another MTF setpiece.

EroicaStradeBianche said:
hazaran said:

All most impressive Froome performances have been on single mountain finishes after easy stages (Peña Cabarga, Ventoux, Planche des Belles Filles, La Pierre Saint-Martin) controlled perfectly by his team. Froome almost lost to Quintana in 2015 in stages with multiple climbs. He also lost the previous vueltas in complicated stages. The weakness of Froome are the unexpected situations, he is maybe the strongest wattwise but in formigal he went crazy (random attacks, asking valverde to chase, panicking). The route of the past Giri tended to favor fantasy and courage instead of raw power. 2017 is exactly the contrary, the only problematic stage for him is the Stelvio because no team can control that and the weather will be decisive. Survived the Stelvio he would win easily.

I don't know if 67 km of ITT is too little what do you want. Have you seen more ITT in some Grand Tours in the last years?. Or the tour this year with half the mount of ITT?

There were more kms of ITT in the Giro two years ago.

Nibali called on Froome to ride the Giro, listing him amongst possible rivals, perhaps in an attempt to call his bluff. Froome rode the Giro d’Italia in 2009 and 2010 but never as an overall contender with Team Sky.

"Riders like Chaves and Kruijswijk could be big rivals, they both showed what they can do and the route suits them. I think Aru will ride too," Nibali said.

"We’ve also got to see if Froome rides. He’s got to ride the Giro once in his life, so he can discover how much passion and affection there is for cycling in Italy. The Giro d’Italia is an important race. If he rode I think everyone would be happy."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-refuses-to-confirm-if-he-will-ride-the-2017-giro-ditalia/

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I think if Froome ever targets the Giro it could be in 2018 and the main reason won't be the Giro, but Vuelta + the Innsbruck WC RR.
If Froome won't win the next Vuelta he'll have 4 2nd places on gc and at that point we could see him targeting Giro-Vuelta-WC RR in 2018.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I think if Froome ever targets the Giro it could be in 2018 and the main reason won't be the Giro, but Vuelta + the Innsbruck WC RR.
If Froome won't win the next Vuelta he'll have 4 2nd places on gc and at that point we could see him targeting Giro-Vuelta-WC RR in 2018.

I think Sky would let Froome NOT target the Tour just if they´ll have another rider able to win in July. Sky was all about July since the beginning

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

pastronef said:
Mayomaniac said:

I think Sky would let Froome NOT target the Tour just if they´ll have another rider able to win in July. Sky was all about July since the beginning
Yeah, you're probably right.

I think it would make sense for Froome to try to win the 100th Giro though I don't think he would be able to win the tour in the same season. Yeah, he also almost managed the Tour-Vuelta double this year, but Giro-Tour is generally more difficult and the guy against he lost the Vuelta also rode the Tour.

Anyway I hope that he won't ride the giro. I think he would win that race easily and the ITT's would only make the race worse. However if Froome doesn't ride the giro the ITT's might add another interesting factor because guys like Aru and Landa will lose minutes on Dumoulin in 70 km of TT'ing so they will have to attack.

TRENDING THREADS