• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 392 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

ferryman said:
MatParker117 said:
Winner of the 100th Tour
Winner of the 100th Giro

Would be unique to say the least
Indeed, but we all know it won't happen. Contador called him out in 2015 after toying with him in the Vuelta (no show), Nibs has just called him out for 2017 (no show again I bet).

He calls out anybody to come to the Tour to come beat him there. From what I've seen, from 2012, there has been no one who's been able to beat him(Please dont start the 2014 Tour debate).
Why would Djokovic play Masters 500 tournament if it hampers his ability to win Grand Slams? Its ludicrous thinking he should go just because Nick Kyrgios called him out.

What GT has Nibali actually beaten Froome in since 2012?

Re:

Red Rick said:
I don't really know. I find it hard to get an idea of what Froome genuinely thinks of the Giro. He talks more about the Vuelta and wanting to win that than about the Giro. But then the Vuelta doesn't jeopardize any Tour attempt at all. But maybe that's more Sky talking than Froome talking. There's 2 things at play here. One is what Froome wants, the other is what Sky wants. Sky seem very invested in winning as many Tours as possible, as US-Postal was, and Sky ultimately get to decide. I don't think Sky will allow Froome to jeopardize their Tour chances for a very slim chance at the double. But then if there's any year to do it, it's 2017, with the Giro being Il Centesimo, and the parcourses as they are.

Personally I don't believe Froome can win the double if he isn't incredibly lucky. I have a hard time believing
- he'll recover from a Giro like he did from a Tour in which he wasn't attacked at all.
- He'll get through a Tour on a 2nd peak as well as through an unipuerto heavy Vuelta.

I don't think Froome has the base level that Quintana has or Contador had at his peak. I also don't believe he'll manage to reach absolute peak in the Tour after racing the Giro. And I don't believe both Quintana and Contador* will **** up again

All in all, still very slim.

*depends on how you still rate him.

Froome got closer to doing a Tour/Vuelta double than I thought he would. One stage was all it took and he has a better chance of doing some sort of double than Contador has of winning another GT. But I agree that as the biggest race being the Tour and Froome has won three why change a winning formula ? The Giro is an excellent course for Froome but I can't see him doing it. I think it's a good course for Steven K and Porte as well. This course makes Bardet's decision much easier. You would also think that other riders like Uran and Dumoulin like the look of the Giro. Aru will probably do the Tour and I think Nibali will as well. Chaves won't do the Giro either for obvious reasons.

as of today, froome is the only rider who has an individual and team (which is very important as well) resource to win the giro in energy-saving mode like he did with the tour this year. yes, prospect of winning the tour instantly gets difficult, but... all in all a single gt cannot be won without luck, so for sure you should have lots of luck to make any two consecutive grand tours double. either way all of us realize the chance of froome starting the giro is very slim.

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
If Froome did ride this route, other than a crash is there anyway he doesn't win (i'm assuming he gets the A-team)?
If Nibali gets back to 2013/2014 we'd be in for one helluva fight, where Froome has the TT's and the train, and were Nibali has the descents.

Agree with this, he'd have to take lots of risks and get Froome out of his comfort zone but that is possible. However If he cant climb like he did in 13/14 then Froome will see him off even without the TT advantage.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

Red Rick said:
hazaran said:
Right, because there has been a single race with Froome going for GC where Nibali was any kind of factor. Not.
Is that how you want to discuss things?

The claim is just silly. It may look fast when Nibali drops Peraud on a climb but rest assured, compared to an on-form Froome or Quintana, it just isn't. That's why in every race with Nibali and Froome once the road reared upwards, he was promptly dispatched. He couldn't even get a single second when Froome was on Bradley watch, and the past years have seen more climbing meltdowns than front-group performances.

And for descents.. there isn't actually much time you will pull out when someone is in your draft. Not to mention you kind of have to climb with the top to start the descent ahead of them..

Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
If Froome did ride this route, other than a crash is there anyway he doesn't win (i'm assuming he gets the A-team)?
If Nibali gets back to 2013/2014 we'd be in for one helluva fight, where Froome has the TT's and the train, and were Nibali has the descents.

Agree with this, he'd have to take lots of risks and get Froome out of his comfort zone but that is possible. However If he cant climb like he did in 13/14 then Froome will see him off even without the TT advantage.
Nibali in Italy is different to Nibali in France. Nibali will try everything to win, and ambush him on every single stage. If Nibali is in the form of the last two Giro stages this year then I expect Nibali to really try hard and I think on quite a few stages Froome will be in trouble. Nibali is also excellent, apparently according to this year, at high altitude, of which there is a bit.

Brullnux said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:

Nibali in Italy is different to Nibali in France. Nibali will try everything to win, and ambush him on every single stage. If Nibali is in the form of the last two Giro stages this year then I expect Nibali to really try hard and I think on quite a few stages Froome will be in trouble. Nibali is also excellent, apparently according to this year, at high altitude, of which there is a bit.

It would be a great battle, no question about. That route is so good for Froome though, single climb or close to single climb stages of Blockhaus and Oropa, only 2 hard multi-mountain stages, and nearly 70k's of flattish TT.

I won't hold my breathe, but id love to see Froome try to win the Giro instead of focusing on the Tour each year.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Kind of interesting. To see if Froome goes to Giro for the win. He is paid to win the Tour. However if he really wants to be a Legend IMHO. He should try to be a member of the 3 GT win Club. It would also give Landa his shot at LeTour.

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:

I hope the Olympics hasn't affected his downhill confidence.

TRENDING THREADS