• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 397 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
@Robert5091 it's the costume for the TDF winner. each guy at the Criterium of Saitama had one too. Always of lot of activities for the guys who are going to Japan.

@robin440 after Japan, he was at Seoul this week-end for L'Etape Korea by Le Tour.

Re:

hazaran said:
Nibali was outright greedy in that tour, winning what, 4 stages? It made for an unbelievably boring Armstrong-style tour, although the latter had the tact to let some token competition win sometimes. I think at one time Liggett called it "another day in the office for Astana".

Even Sky nowadays don't usually bother to chase breakaways when they have Froome in yellow, just tapping out a tempo. They learned that from the "day after tomorrow" in 2013 where they chased everything and ended up with Froome totally isolated and 100k to go.
I don't think the 2013 is a good example. They truly believed that Quintana could be a threat. Even the day after Froome won he chased down Quintana when he tried to attack.

Evans on Froome in the 08 Tour:

I remember well. This is funny. There was a stage which ended on a descent. It was the highest road in Europe – they made a little extra road to make it higher [Col de la Bonnette]. I was watching you and your positioning before the climb, then looked through the results at the finish to see where you were. That evening I told the Lotto team manager, Marc Sergeant, that you were a rider we should sign.
With your experience and what you had physically, and you being from Africa, it gave me faith in you as a rider for the future. I said that you were a rider to watch, that we should get you on the team, and that you were going to go somewhere. It’s easy to say that now but at the time I saw with you being new to the peloton… What people don’t realise is that without experience, the positioning before the climbs when you first go to race in Europe as a pro is far more difficult than they think. I thought you were pretty good!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/chris-froome-and-cadel-evans-interview-each-other-about-races-retirement-and-the-2008-tour/

Re:

TMP402 said:

I remember well. This is funny. There was a stage which ended on a descent. It was the highest road in Europe – they made a little extra road to make it higher [Col de la Bonnette]. I was watching you and your positioning before the climb, then looked through the results at the finish to see where you were. That evening I told the Lotto team manager, Marc Sergeant, that you were a rider we should sign.
With your experience and what you had physically, and you being from Africa, it gave me faith in you as a rider for the future. I said that you were a rider to watch, that we should get you on the team, and that you were going to go somewhere. It’s easy to say that now but at the time I saw with you being new to the peloton… What people don’t realise is that without experience, the positioning before the climbs when you first go to race in Europe as a pro is far more difficult than they think. I thought you were pretty good!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/chris-froome-and-cadel-evans-interview-each-other-about-races-retirement-and-the-2008-tour/
Evans is almost as clever as Taxus, who already expected that Froome will become a multiple tdf winner after the Aspin stage in the tdf 2008. The only thing I don't understand is why these people didn't tell us that they expect Froome to become succesfull before his breakthrough. :rolleyes:

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
TMP402 said:

Evans is almost as clever as Taxus, who already expected that Froome will become a multiple tdf winner after the Aspin stage in the tdf 2008. The only thing I don't understand is why these people didn't tell us that they expect Froome to become succesfull before his breakthrough. :rolleyes:

Regardless if the story is true or not, why Would they tell us? Anybody asked?

Gigs_98 said:
TMP402 said:

Of course they don't tell you! They're now basking in the millions they made from the bookies ;)

Edit: Oh, and by the way, Evans is just making up things. In the Bonnette stage Froome finished in the gruppetto at 32 minutes behind the winner, s.t. with other "pretty good" climbers such as two-time lanterne rouge Jimmy Casper and three-time lanterne rouge Wim Vansevenant.

Gigs_98 said:
TMP402 said:

How many pro riders have you heard talk about young talent that is catching their eye?

rick james said:
Gigs_98 said:
TMP402 said:

How many pro riders have you heard talk about young talent that is catching their eye?
Why is that important?

Squire said:
Edit: Oh, and by the way, Evans is just making up things. In the Bonnette stage Froome finished in the gruppetto at 32 minutes behind the winner, s.t. with other "pretty good" climbers such as two-time lanterne rouge Jimmy Casper and three-time lanterne rouge Wim Vansevenant.
Nice job Squire :) . So Cuddles doesn't pass the fact check. For a while, I thought it was Sherwen talking about Lance, actually ;) .

TRENDING THREADS