• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 458 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
huge said:
I think there will be zero consequences for Froome from those two crashes.

He jumped immediately back on the bike and didn't seem to have any difficulties chasing down.

This.
Froome: “I think all in all I’m just grateful I’m not more seriously injured and just lost a bit of skln."

Yeah, but it looks like his computer batteries are running out.

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
This is pretty bad for Froome. He's at the point where fading can cost him the race, and fatigue is starting to build up. The crash cost him 3 thigns

Physical harm, he may be hurt and his performance might be affected. My favorite excuse for Contador the last few years, it can happen to Froome too.

He spent a bunch of energy, at a point in the race where you don't want to spend it unnecessarily, especially in your 2nd consecutive GT

He lost time. 20 seconds is unlikely to make the difference, and it might be the least of the problems of what happened today.

But you don't want Nibali close. You don't want to look vulnerable when Alberto Contador and Vincenzo Nibali are there. The 2 riders who give no **** about 2nd places. He can't fade. Not now.
The "mental damage" could be a problem as well. Of course he won't drop on every descent because he is so afraid, but I think if Nibali attacks downhill the insecurity in his head that he crashed twice on a descent could make a little difference.

Watching Froome bombing down difficult descents this year and last makes me think he has no fear of descents. It's part of his performance that has actually improved. Nibali also falls including on descents. The fatigue factor is the main one for Froome now. Nibali didn't do the Tour like Contador and Froome but still has to do a good TT. Contador looks good. If not for his stomach problems on one stage he would be a danger and still is if he can get off the front with one or two other GC riders. If another GC rider was able to go with Contador yesterday it would have been much worse for Froome. Luckily for him Roche had trouble keeping up and Contador's team mate had already used a lot of energy. Amazingly Contador seems to have come out of the Tour pretty well. The TT will be a major stage. Sometimes Froome can still dominate in the TT even when he isn't climbing at his best. I think descents are the least of his worries.

Re:

oldcrank said:
On the rest day, Froomey led 2nd place by 36 seconds and there were 8 riders within 2 minutes.
After yesterday, he now leads 2nd place by 59 seconds and Nibali is the only one within 2 minutes.

This, exactly. I just looked at the GC again and I don't see how anyone beats Froome on the road. Mechanicals, crashes, wayward fans are another matter. To be honest I have no idea what his form is right now, but Sky look strong as ever and that will get him 90 percent of the way on even the hardest stages.

Unless he's feeling superhumanly strong I think he'll continue to ride conservatively. His rivals have either faltered massively (Contador) or just drifted slowly backward (BMC, Chaves). Only Nibali is a realistic threat at the moment and I don't rate his form above Froome's.

Bolder said:
oldcrank said:
On the rest day, Froomey led 2nd place by 36 seconds and there were 8 riders within 2 minutes.
After yesterday, he now leads 2nd place by 59 seconds and Nibali is the only one within 2 minutes.

This, exactly. I just looked at the GC again and I don't see how anyone beats Froome on the road. Mechanicals, crashes, wayward fans are another matter. To be honest I have no idea what his form is right now, but Sky look strong as ever and that will get him 90 percent of the way on even the hardest stages.

Unless he's feeling superhumanly strong I think he'll continue to ride conservatively. His rivals have either faltered massively (Contador) or just drifted slowly backward (BMC, Chaves). Only Nibali is a realistic threat at the moment and I don't rate his form above Froome's.

I think BMC faltered more heavily then Contador...

DIpXRXqXYAAFaFg.jpg

pastronef said:
Matteo. said:
The pic adds nothing of what we already know.

e invece si. it says the would is still bleeding. the knee is a delicate part. let´s see how the week end goes.
Forza Froome!
E invece no
as far as it may be superficial, the wound needs time to heal, and that blood mixed with thirst and medicament get out. . He is not a cyborg.
but if it is superficial, it only annoys.
I know for experience

Matteo. said:
pastronef said:
Matteo. said:

e invece si. it says the would is still bleeding. the knee is a delicate part. let´s see how the week end goes.
Forza Froome!
E invece no
as far as it may be superficial, the wound needs time to heal, and that blood mixed with thirst and medicament get out. . He is not a cyborg.
I know for experience

I hope it´s only superficial and the knee won´t feel too much pain

pastronef said:
Matteo. said:
pastronef said:
Matteo. said:

Forza Froome!
E invece no
I know for experience

I hope it´s only superficial and the knee won´t feel too much pain
That's another talk. If he's seriously hurt, He is almost done. But It's too difficult to say seeing a pic.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
If Froome was really bothered, he'd say he wasn't
If Froome wasn't really bothered, he'd say he wasn't

We know **** all except for foto's

Agree, tomorrow will be the test.

This. I have a feeling some of the others will put him to task just to check his condition.

GraftPunk said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:

This. I have a feeling some of the others will put him to task just to check his condition.

Absolutely, and they have to try anyway. They can't just sit there and wait as Froome still has that 42k TT next week as a buffer. If Froome puts in a performance like last years Vuelta TT they will need a lot of time in the mountains.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
GraftPunk said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:

Absolutely, and they have to try anyway. They can't just sit there and wait as Froome still has that 42k TT next week as a buffer. If Froome puts in a performance like last years Vuelta TT they will need a lot of time in the mountains.
Unfortunately they will all wait for contador (like always) to make his move and maybe katusha will follow him and help sky