• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 470 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Lv426 said:
Like I said . Any hard GT and Froome always has a bad day . I do think he will be strong enough to hang though .
Once again giving a sound beating by Bertie a rider who his riding great but not the rider of old.
He will be missed next year . It will be back to robot racing.
What did you Froome fans think of his post interview. He kept repeating the same thing "bounce back"
Is it a bluff and he's blown it or do you think he will bounce back ?
Do you fear one of Bertie's long range attacks ?
Nibs looks a real threat ....
As someone like to repeat...who knows

tomorrow I think you will have the answer: if it was a bad day he will come alright with the others in the finale .... but if he loses a few seconds it will be a very bad sign looking for the Angliru

Matteo. said:
Lv426 said:
Like I said . Any hard GT and Froome always has a bad day . I do think he will be strong enough to hang though .
Once again giving a sound beating by Bertie a rider who his riding great but not the rider of old.
What did you Froome fans think of his post interview. He kept repeating the same thing "bounce back"

tomorrow I think you will have the answer: if it was a bad day he will come alright with the others in the finale .... but if he loses a few seconds it will be a very bad sign looking for the Angliru

I agree mate.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Probably lost time on purpose again to make him appear human. He won't lose time again on other stages.

wow, he should take up acting once he retires. does it looks like a face who is faking?

froomi-machucos.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
El Pistolero said:
Probably lost time on purpose again to make him appear human. He won't lose time again on other stages.

wow, he should take up acting once he retires. does it looks like a face who is faking?

froomi-machucos.jpg

Yes.

He already said he's not worried in the slightest that he'll lose time on the Angliru.

All this *** is calculated. He's a terrible actor. He does this literally every single time. His arrogant remarks afterwards always bust him.

El Pistolero said:
pastronef said:
El Pistolero said:

froomi-machucos.jpg

Yes.

He already said he's not worried in the slightest that he'll lose time on the Angliru.

All this **** is calculated. He's a terrible actor. He does this literally every single time. His arrogant remarks afterwards always bust him.

I wouldn't call those remarks arrogant. I would call his remarks (before today and the rest of the Vuelta so far) a calculated way of ensuring his opponents think he is stronger than he really is.

I don't know why he does it though. No-one falls for it. Certainly Contador and Nibs don't.

Lv426 said:
I cant speak for all of Froome's fans but for me personally Froome could come in last place it doesnt matter to me as this is just a prep race to maintain excellent form into the next season. The real excitement in Madrid for me personally is the end of Alberto of Pinto the most overhyped overrated rider of all time. Vete Alberto.

Matteo. said:
Lv426 said:

Who knows :) .

In a finish like tomorrow, Froome can actually take a handful of seconds on his main rivals. He sure looked bad today. But not that bad considering his cushion. How tired are the other guys?

Tomorrow's stage doesn't look like a monster to me, not enough to set the Vuelta on fire. Keep the pressure on Sky? Who's going to do it? But the other teams need to pull the Sky elastic. Or at least Nivali's and Contador's teams (the other go for placings).

The Angliru may break the elastic. Isolated, you can lose 2 minutes.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It was clear quite quickly that he wasn't doing the yoyo and was in trouble. He still minimised his losses well, because when a rider is weaker than his own domestiques on a very hard climb where everyone is going to war, it's easy to lose minutes.

No yo yo more like "yo wait up !" He has had some problems with the steep stuff this year.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Matteo. said:
in spite of everything, I think he will attack.
on the final climb will try to put down its 400 watts( as He did in the first week)
We will see if the legs are agree

Not sure he will risk it especially if the attack doesn't work and he can't sustain it. Then he's in more trouble.
i remember la camperona last year he try to attack at 1300 km to the finish and then lost 33 seconds in a km to Quintana and lose 7 to a crashed Contador , so he will not attack

For all the **** Froome and Sky get, I must say the way he grinds it out to limit losses on bad days is a really impressive skill. I don't really remember him ever completely blowing up when in contention in GC on a GT? Yesterday was another prime example only losing 41 secs when looking awful for pretty much the entire climb, same for Alpe d'Huez (2013?) when Quintana attacked him and he ground his way up the entire ascent to limit losses well when ill.

Re:

jarvo said:
For all the **** Froome and Sky get, I must say the way he grinds it out to limit losses on bad days is a really impressive skill. I don't really remember him ever completely blowing up when in contention in GC on a GT? Yesterday was another prime example only losing 41 secs when looking awful for pretty much the entire climb, same for Alpe d'Huez (2013?) when Quintana attacked him and he ground his way up the entire ascent to limit losses well when ill.
I remember one time when he really mistimed his effort which led to him blowing up and that was the La Camperona stage @telencefalus just mentioned. He lost over half a minute on one kilometer and got caught by Contador who already dropped earlier. That kind of stuff usually never happens to him but in this case it wasn't that catastrophic since his own attack was quite close to the finish. If he had blown himself up like this already on the bottom of the climb he could have lost over a minute though

Lv426 said:

I think there's something like a 10-20% chance Froome loses the race today or tomorrow. It's possible if his form is cracking, but it's unlikely with the strength of his team, he'll hang on, or maybe even take back a few seconds today.

But the decision will come on Angliru.

Re:

Red Rick said:
If he's to lose time today or tomorrow, I really think he can lose a minute on the Angliru alone.

I totally agree.
If he shows signs of weakness again today, it means that yesterday was not just a bad day or consequence of pushing too hard on Tue ITT, but that he is fading. So Angliru could really be a problem.

At the moment Nibali has got a bit of a psycological boost.
I think he really believes he can pull this out. While he was pessimistic about it on Tue eve.

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
I cant speak for all of Froome's fans but for me personally Froome could come in last place it doesnt matter to me as this is just a prep race to maintain excellent form into the next season. The real excitement in Madrid for me personally is the end of Alberto of Pinto the most overhyped overrated rider of all time. Vete Alberto.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHHAHA

I don't even know where to begin. Prep race for next season? That honestly has NO relevance for next year's Tour. If anything it might actually be more detrimental to put your body through a GT instead of just going into winter training. Plus he stated EXPLICITLY that he is targeting this Vuelta, it's not just an afterthought.

Whatever you think of Contador he is a million times more exciting as a rider than Froome has ever and will ever be and has won 7(9) GTs while Froome has 4, on his way to 5. I fail to see how he is overhyped. Maybe in the past few seasons with people thinking he could genuinely challenge Froome in the TdF, but that's just his fandom. Most overhyped rider of all time? Elaborate please.

Lv426 said:

What a load of bs. Here's wishing that this is the beginning of the decline of Froome's dominance and as a consequence we won't be exposed to bs posts like the above. Have a good day. :)

jsem94 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHHAHA

I don't even know where to begin. Prep race for next season? That honestly has NO relevance for next year's Tour. If anything it might actually be more detrimental to put your body through a GT instead of just going into winter training. Plus he stated EXPLICITLY that he is targeting this Vuelta, it's not just an afterthought.

Whatever you think of Contador he is a million times more exciting as a rider than Froome has ever and will ever be and has won 7(9) GTs while Froome has 4, on his way to 5. I fail to see how he is overhyped. Maybe in the past few seasons with people thinking he could genuinely challenge Froome in the TdF, but that's just his fandom. Most overhyped rider of all time? Elaborate please.

Allow me to translate as he is very likely to continue with the same level of bs in his response: That post is a cover for the chance that Froome continues to struggle, loses his lead to Nibali and once again loses the Vuelta. It is this individual's coping mechanism to deal with potential disappointment. May his rusty steel bike disintegrate as he transports it in his similarly rusting El Camino from one of his retro-wool-attired rides. :p

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

huge said:
Red Rick said:
If he's to lose time today or tomorrow, I really think he can lose a minute on the Angliru alone.

I totally agree.
If he shows signs of weakness again today, it means that yesterday was not just a bad day or consequence of pushing too hard on Tue ITT, but that he is fading. So Angliru could really be a problem.

At the moment Nibali has got a bit of a psycological boost.
I think he really believes he can pull this out. While he was pessimistic about it on Tue eve.

Indeed, today is a Froome finish so if he loses more time to Nibbles then that's a very bad sign. He seems surprisingly optimistic though, could be for his rivals benefit or it could be that he knows he *** something up (for example refueling, bad sleep) that he won't get wrong again.

telencefalus said:
movingtarget said:
Matteo. said:
in spite of everything, I think he will attack.
on the final climb will try to put down its 400 watts( as He did in the first week)
We will see if the legs are agree

Not sure he will risk it especially if the attack doesn't work and he can't sustain it. Then he's in more trouble.
i remember la camperona last year he try to attack at 1300 km to the finish and then lost 33 seconds in a km to Quintana and lose 7 to a crashed Contador , so he will not attack
Now that is a proper long-range attack!

Re:

del1962 said:
Last time Froome and Nibali did Angrilu together, Froome led by 1:20 prior to stage, by the end of the stage he was over three minutes ahead of Nibali.
Interestingly Poels was up there with Froome.
Nibali was off form in tha Vuelta. He was gettting dropped by Sergey Lagutin on Angliru. :rolleyes:
Not that I think Nibali will win though, Froome will be fine in the remaining stages and win the Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS