• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 502 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:
It'll be fun if he starts the Giro next year and wins it but is then DQ'ed. Wonder how many GTs different people would say he's won?

He's not good enough to win the Giro anyway.
What's the logic behind that? The best GT rider in the world by far isn't good enough to win a GT?
That the Giro suits him less than the Tour, in almost every sense of the way. Weather, less controllable, usually less ITTing, etc.

I think that there's truth to it, to the point that if Froome waits until clearly done at the Tour that he won't be able to win the Giro either.

In this case, if he's going to the 2018 Giro healthy he's the big favorite, and I think he'll very likely win.

Red Rick said:
Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:
It'll be fun if he starts the Giro next year and wins it but is then DQ'ed. Wonder how many GTs different people would say he's won?

What's the logic behind that? The best GT rider in the world by far isn't good enough to win a GT?
That the Giro suits him less than the Tour, in almost every sense of the way. Weather, less controllable, usually less ITTing, etc.

I think that there's truth to it, to the point that if Froome waits until clearly done at the Tour that he won't be able to win the Giro either.

In this case, if he's going to the 2018 Giro healthy he's the big favorite, and I think he'll very likely win.
I dont get the weather thing. IIRC Froome used to destroy Romandie year after year. Rainy May Romandie, with pretty much the same weather you get at the GIro.

The Hitch said:
Red Rick said:
Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:

I dont get the weather thing. IIRC Froome used to destroy Romandie year after year. Rainy May Romandie, with pretty much the same weather you get at the GIro.
He won it twice. I do think there's a trend that Froome's best climbing days in GTs have all been in the scorching heat.

I fully expect that the Froome AAF will still be undetermined until the second half of the year - I will go out on a limb and predict Froome won't ride the TDF - French are very strong with anti-doping so Froome will receive a terrible reception - Whereas the Italians/Spanish are more relaxed about doping so he'll receive a warmer welcome in the Giro and the Vuelta - So it could be the the Giro and the Vuelta.

Re:

yaco said:
I fully expect that the Froome AAF will still be undetermined until the second half of the year - I will go out on a limb and predict Froome won't ride the TDF - French are very strong with anti-doping so Froome will receive a terrible reception - Whereas the Italians/Spanish are more relaxed about doping so he'll receive a warmer welcome in the Giro and the Vuelta - So it could be the the Giro and the Vuelta.
Sky are gonna want to win the Tour. There's no doubt about that. Froome is the only Sky rider capable to win it.

You would think they would be able to sort out all this mess pretty quickly. If he rides and wins races, only to get a backdated ban, he gets the wins taken away (waste of time and effort). If he doesn't race and waits to see the outcome only to not get a ban, he could have raced and won. So the only way he could go about it, is race and maybe win in the hope he gets away with it. It's about time the UCI sorted their crap out and either ban him or let him go, all this hush hush is not doing them or SKY/Froome any good whatsoever.

Red Rick said:
yaco said:
Sky are gonna want to win the Tour. There's no doubt about that. Froome is the only Sky rider capable to win it.

Sky always want to win the TDF, though getting Froome to ride the Giro puts that at peril - The French dislike of 'Sky' which can only be worse with recent news will make it a challenging race for Froome - Sometimes public pressure is over-bearing.

Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:

To be fair, he's had a ridiculously strong team full of GC men for lesser teams looking after him, so saying the best in the world by far isn't really fair.

If he's sacked by Team Sky and joins a new team it'll be interesting how good he really is on a lesser team.

wheresmybrakes said:
You would think they would be able to sort out all this mess pretty quickly. If he rides and wins races, only to get a backdated ban, he gets the wins taken away (waste of time and effort). If he doesn't race and waits to see the outcome only to not get a ban, he could have raced and won. So the only way he could go about it, is race and maybe win in the hope he gets away with it. It's about time the UCI sorted their crap out and either ban him or let him go, all this hush hush is not doing them or SKY/Froome any good whatsoever.

They could sort it out quickly if Froome admitted to the transgression and didnt defend the case . But he is all lawyered up and has set out to defend himself

So if you wanna blame anyone as to why it will take so long then blame Froome/SKY
And in the end there is no defense as there wasmtt with Ulissi and even Petacchi ..SKY shoukd suspend Froome and await the verdict

But when Froome rides again seems to be the only issue on here :eek:

silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Just in case he gets banned, Sky has a no tolerance policy.

Sky says they have a no tolerance policy. But we've seen plenty of times there's a great discrepancy between what Sky says and what Sky does.

IMO Sky will sack him.
He has to look for a new team. Just in case. :razz:

I agree, if he stays they lose all credibility, goes and they get another life.
If only Landa had stayed.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
elfed68 said:
silvergrenade said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Just in case he gets banned, Sky has a no tolerance policy.

Sky says they have a no tolerance policy. But we've seen plenty of times there's a great discrepancy between what Sky says and what Sky does.

IMO Sky will sack him.
He has to look for a new team. Just in case. :razz:

I agree, if he stays they lose all credibility, goes and they get another life.
If only Landa had stayed.

Sky doesn't give a damn about how they're viewed , they'd punt him because he'd go back to being a nothing rider [edited by mod] and his salary would attract an actual top rider.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if Froome is sanctioned, would sky fire him? If he got fired by Sky, I wonder if he can be as great as he is now with another team. I would love to see that.

TRENDING THREADS