• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 569 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Nasty injury. The footage of him putting his jacket on during the recon and taking risks, madness. A bit silly of him but it could have happened at any other time.

Brailsfraud very shaken which is understanding.

Get well soon Dawg. Be with your family and rest up.

Yeah, Beloki was never the same or even close to the same. He went on to become a pretty mediocre domestique at Liberty Seguros and we never heard more from him after Operacíon Puerto which wasn't so good to the old ONCE-team. I think I remember him being in the break and helping Heras win the Vuelta that horrible and rainy day along with Michele Scarponi tho, so he did something at least. It was literally on the next day after of his best performance in the mountains putting huge pressure on Lance Armstrong on Alpe d' Huez in 2003 he crashed on that extremely hot day in the Alps, I think around 40 degrees. That really, really sucked, but if I remember correctly, the media was much more interested in Armstrong and his pretty amazing safe.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, Beloki was never the same or even close to the same. He went on to become a pretty mediocre domestique at Liberty Seguros and we never heard more from him after Operacíon Puerto which wasn't so good to the old ONCE-team. I think I remember him being in the break and helping Heras win the Vuelta that horrible and rainy day along with Michele Scarponi tho, so he did something at least. It was literally on the next day after of his best performance in the mountains putting huge pressure on Lance Armstrong on Alpe d' Huez in 2003 he crashed on that extremely hot day in the Alps, I think around 40 degrees. That really, really sucked, but if I remember correctly, the media was much more of Armstrong and his pretty amazing safe.

Of course it was less consequential but that save certainly elevated that crash to the most famous crash in cycling history.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, Beloki was never the same or even close to the same. He went on to become a pretty mediocre domestique at Liberty Seguros and we never heard more from him after Operacíon Puerto which wasn't so good to the old ONCE-team. I think I remember him being in the break and helping Heras win the Vuelta that horrible and rainy day along with Michele Scarponi tho, so he did something at least. It was literally on the next day after of his best performance in the mountains putting huge pressure on Lance Armstrong on Alpe d' Huez in 2003 he crashed on that extremely hot day in the Alps, I think around 40 degrees. That really, really sucked, but if I remember correctly, the media was much more of Armstrong and his pretty amazing safe.

Of course it was less consequential but that save certainly elevated that crash to the most famous crash in cycling history.
In recent times, maybe. Ocaña's crash in 1971 had far more impact in the race than Beloki's, but there was no live TV back then.

ice&fire said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

In recent times, maybe. Ocaña's crash in 1971 had far more impact in the race than Beloki's, but there was no live TV back then.

That's true, but I'm thinking famous more like iconic than race-impacting.

Re:

Scarponi said:
Froome fans laughing at Contador when he crashed standing up in the 2014 Tour now understand **** happens in the most unexpected way. These riders have ridden 100 thousand jks and pulled the same stunts millions of times but it takes one second of mishap

Which explains everything. Something we should all keep in mind no matter how skilled or experienced we become. Always leave a margin for error particularly when not racing since there is no excuse. The biggest risk is over confidence which can lead to momentary lapses in concentration, unexpected wind gusts, road debris or imperfections.

If it is indeed a compound fracture of the femur then, at age 34, it's almost certainly a career-ender.

New Zealand's top jockey Lance O'Sullivan suffered a similar injury in 1997, also at age 34. He was out for 18 months but did eventually come back to resume winning premierships.

But cycling is different - obviously.

The Barb said:
If it is indeed a compound fracture of the femur then, at age 34, it's almost certainly a career-ender.

New Zealand's top jockey Lance O'Sullivan suffered a similar injury in 1997, also at age 34. He was out for 18 months but did eventually come back to resume winning premierships.

Is it 'official' that it is a compound fracture ? I haven't seen any mention of that officially. If so, as you say a comeback looks unlikely.

Cookster15 said:
Scarponi said:
Froome fans laughing at Contador when he crashed standing up in the 2014 Tour now understand **** happens in the most unexpected way. These riders have ridden 100 thousand jks and pulled the same stunts millions of times but it takes one second of mishap

Which explains everything. Something we should all keep in mind no matter how skilled or experienced we become. Always leave a margin for error particularly when not racing since there is no excuse. The biggest risk is over confidence which can lead to momentary lapses in concentration, unexpected wind gusts, road debris or imperfections.

A very good friend of mine got hurt terribly on his motorcycle a couple corners before returning home; apparently that's very common.

Riding a hightech carbon bicycle at speed is just as dangerous if not more so I suppose.

bigcog said:
The Barb said:

Is it 'official' that it is a compound fracture ? I haven't seen any mention of that officially. If so, as you say a comeback looks unlikely.

Definitely not official, just an unnamed witness being reported on a non-major news site.
https://livenewsnow.net/sport/injured-froome-tour-de-france-horror-crash-66220026

So yes, not wishing to jump to conclusions.

spalco said:
Cookster15 said:
Scarponi said:

A very good friend of mine got hurt terribly on his motorcycle a couple corners before returning home; apparently that's very common.

Riding a hightech carbon bicycle at speed is just as dangerous if not more so I suppose.

Yeh, its easy to forget the risks. A friend of mine suffered a shattered elbow in a fall when I was riding with him. That took him maybe 9 months to get back racing from. But he didn't have a broken femur and ribs to go along with it. At 34 its not looking good for Froome.

Re:

Scarponi said:
I never seen any Froome fans laughing when Bertie crashed.... because Froome also left that race because of a crash

The Barb said:
bigcog said:
The Barb said:

Definitely not official, just an unnamed witness being reported on a non-major news site.
https://livenewsnow.net/sport/injured-froome-tour-de-france-horror-crash-66220026

They just stole the article from AFP so i would say it is as 'official' as you can get from news sites

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3955/seriously-injured-froome-out-tour-de-france-team-chief-doc-1hg2um7

markene2 said:
The Barb said:
bigcog said:
The Barb said:

They just stole the article from AFP so i would say it is as 'official' as you can get from news sites

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3955/seriously-injured-froome-out-tour-de-france-team-chief-doc-1hg2um7

Fair enough, although still just based on one unnamed witness saying it was an "open fracture". So no apparent fact checking or corroboration from anyone connected with the team, race or medical staff. Still too early to know.

rick james said:
Scarponi said:
I never seen any Froome fans laughing when Bertie crashed.... because Froome also left that race because of a crash
I saw several, but there will always be idiots

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
Scarponi said:
I saw several, but there will always be idiots

Yes, it happened, but indeed lets not go there now.

My feelings as it relates to Froome are well documented, but regardless, from one rider to another, I wish him to recover soon. Falling sucks, losing square feet of skin hurt, breaking bones and taking showers with plastic bags over the cast is misery. I don't wish that to anyone. If some of his fans are idiots (no news there), other fans don't need to prove that they are more idiots than Froome's fans by rejoicing. Not accusing anyone here, just making a point.