• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 579 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Ripper said:
I truly hope he has a full recovery and gets his health back.

I also really wish he would just go away.

I also, also think it might be a bit early to put a video together on his "road back", so to speak. Perhaps for the autumn?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. I’m glad they waited until after the Tour, and he does seem confident that he’ll be back racing next year, Whether he remains at the same level is another matter.
I expect him to be on a marginally better or significantly worse level at the TdF2020.

Re: Re:

glassmoon said:
Pricey_sky said:
Ripper said:
I truly hope he has a full recovery and gets his health back.

I also really wish he would just go away.

I also, also think it might be a bit early to put a video together on his "road back", so to speak. Perhaps for the autumn?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. I’m glad they waited until after the Tour, and he does seem confident that he’ll be back racing next year, Whether he remains at the same level is another matter.
I expect him to be on a marginally better or significantly worse level at the TdF2020.
Ya, that's about it, isn't it? I think the additional marketing that Ineos is spinning this for is a bit over the top (a reason why I think the video being created is too soon), but that's part of the game, isn't it? By the time next year rolls around, the interest will likely be crazy high, so there will be a ton vested in a full recovery of form, if not a step forward in form.

All the bones should be healed at this points (usually takes about 6 weeks for bones to heal). So if the neck was just a fracture or crack it should be healed by now. If he's still keeping weight off the one leg as much as possible and only able to complete a few track sessions, it would suggest he still has a very, very long rehab road ahead of him.

Thankfully, Sir James is not a big fan of what we could call "the European method" of dealing with everything from injuries to illness to lack of form and has already sent staff from some of his various sporting interests to the best international sports injury and rehabilitation conferences to stay abreast of the newest and best protocols for recovery from athletic trauma. Hopefully The Great One will benefit from this and return from his horrific injuries at a level comparable to his 2017/2018 form.

Thankfully, Sir James is not a big fan of what we could call "the European method" of dealing with everything from injuries to illness to lack of form and has already sent staff from some of his various sporting interests to the best international sports injury and rehabilitation conferences to stay abreast of the newest and best protocols for recovery from athletic trauma. Hopefully The Great One will benefit from this and return from his horrific injuries at a level comparable to his 2017/2018 form.

Yes but Froome needs to take his time ...he has until next July afterall
The last thing he needs it to go fast too soon and put pressure on body

@HelloDolly: We know Sir Dave is a true genius and Sir James is a very, very rich man. I think we can assume they both understand the concept of taking good care of your assets and also know the benefits of playing the long game. Throw in the fact that INEOS has the most powerful super-computer in all of cycling and I am very confident the INEOS brain trust are aware that the "best" recovery protocols for The Great One are not necessarily the "fastest."

A recent edition of Kilometre 0 from the Cycling Podcast was very interesting indeed.

It was titled "Sliding Doors", and the subject was the 2011 that Cobo won on the road from Froome, but then recently awarded to Froome after Cobo got busted for gear.

The majority of the content is made up of interviews with Froome and Wiggins, both conducted in the last week or so. A few interesting things from the episode:

1. Wiggins said he really felt uncomfortable about operating under a dual leadership structure. He said that Sky/Ineos do it to keep their leaders on their toes, and he feels it works, but he said it really made him feel uncomfortable.
  2. Froome genuinely seemed to have no idea that he was in good form as he wasn't feeling well before the race.
  3. Similarly, Wiggins was not really focused on GC until the two of them did well in the early mountain stages.
  4. Froome and Wiggins roomed together during the Vuelta up until the last 5 days or so. Froome then roomed alone (apparently he had a cold), and said he felt both of them were glad to have their own space.
  5. Wiggins said that Froome was extremely disciplined in training, If the plan is 350 watts for 3 hours, Froome will do that; Wiggo says he and others end up trying to do 360w and it was probably not beneficial.
I got the impression that Wiggins and Froome both have a lot of respect for each other, particularly Wiggins seems to really respect Froome. I always thought Froome was a nice guy and Wiggins a big baddie, but I am revisiting my opinion recently.

Clearly two very different personalities, but while being very outspoken I never had the impression Wiggo disrespected Froome, or any other rider for that matter.

Thanks for the insight anyway.
If you listen to any of the podcasts or other media work Wiggins has been doing this year, it's clear that he has huge respect for Froome as an athlete...he's also been happy to admit that when he was riding, particularly in the pressure environment of grand tours he was a bit of an a*#e...... i've actually grown to like Wiggins more since he retired than i ever did when he was riding.

If you listen to any of the podcasts or other media work Wiggins has been doing this year, it's clear that he has huge respect for Froome as an athlete...he's also been happy to admit that when he was riding, particularly in the pressure environment of grand tours he was a bit of an a*#e...... i've actually grown to like Wiggins more since he retired than i ever did when he was riding.
I've been following his work on eurosport and, generally speaking, he sounds like a guy with huge respect for cycling and all the pros involved in the sport.

I liked him as a rider because he provided some trash talking, which is virtually non existent in this sport, but I bet he has gained a lot of fans since starting his media work.

Wiggins has admitted its took therapy to change him, looking back now he can see how much of an arse he was...his podcasts are good

He had fracture of a neck vertebra. Given that it wasn't listed by doctors in the initial injury report and only picked up later.suggests that it was just a minor crack . "Broken Neck" is just journalist hyperbole.
There's no technical difference between a break or a fracture so it's not really 'hyperbole' . But also the case that a broken neck / fractured vertebra varies massively in outcome and if it was stable then it's not a big deal at all. I broke one in a crash (c1 so theoretically more dangerous than Froome's), it scares the *** out of you as a diagnosis but I just had to lie at a funny angle for a couple of nights while they checked it was stable then they discharged me without even a brace and basically forgot about it.

Clearly two very different personalities, but while being very outspoken I never had the impression Wiggo disrespected Froome, or any other rider for that matter.

Thanks for the insight anyway.

I never thought he disrespected him either. But in common with some others above, I found Wiggins unlikeable and I am changing my opinion. He is very articulate and honest and the KM 0 episode is very good primarily because he is in it..

TRENDING THREADS