• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 584 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Maybe Froome's right, maybe the coach is right, or they might both be - I think there's a good chance either that there's something we don't know or something lost in translation from the Cioni quote - 'he's not well' isn't a phrase usually used to talk about broken bones or a resulting lack of fitness.
Pretty much this. I guess time will tell and there is still 6 months until the Tour, but It’ll be interesting how he fares at the next camp starting Thursday.

Froome's metal plate and screws were only removed Nov 9th, so there must be 3-4 weeks for stitches and holes in bone to recover I would think + you're probably on some pretty potent pain killers still given the size of those coach screws in your bones unscrewed. Ineos's early Dec camp is really meet & greet anyway, there would be no need for Froome to do any more than the medical and stuff and get to know new team mates. The actual 'training' camps are in January anyway.

this is a good reminder of how "top level" the pros are actually at , in this time of year. I've always said the pros are super human and Chris Froome getting dropped is no surprise. Unfortunately, it could spell the beginning of the end for him. I think he'll regain form to become a super domestique
The gap between a top domestique and leader is so small these days that if Froome gets there he probably gets to be at least a back up leader anyway.

Bernal will be more than happy to ride the Giro and work for Froome in France, as was his plan already for this year, if Froome will be competitive at high level next year.

Froome will be 36 years old, past the expiration date on any real shot at winning the TdF. He’d have a better shot at La Vuelta or Giro similar to Valverde at LV (big IF he gets back to 100%).

If Bernal wins the TDF this year, it would be hilariously stupid for him to take a back seat. That would be like Fignon just working for Hinault in the 1984 when he beat him by 10 minutes.

Reactions: PlanZ
Froome will be 36 years old, past the expiration date on any real shot at winning the TdF. He’d have a better shot at La Vuelta or Giro similar to Valverde at LV (big IF he gets back to 100%).

If Bernal wins the TDF this year, it would be hilariously stupid for him to take a back seat. That would be like Fignon just working for Hinault in the 1984 when he beat him by 10 minutes.
But if he wants to ride and win the Giro, for what reason he shouldn't try? Even Froome when he decided to go to the Giro was given the chance to go with Thomas free to ride his race in France but no one said that he took a back seat and was known that he was the first one in the pecking order also after that.

Even if the Great One, recently voted Rider of the Decade, doesn't return to his decade dominating levels of strength and fitness (and I am not betting the Top Dawg won't) he will most certainly be an inspiration for his INEOS team-mates with his legendary work ethic and determination.

TRENDING THREADS