• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 592 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
If froome is really going to isu, probably he have the guarantee that they will buy some climbers. The most important thing is that froome recovers from is injurys, and returns to is best shape, that s the most difficult thing, but if that happens, no one is at their level, and a couple of climbers, like martin, navarro and maybe nivel, is the enough to win the tour, even if ineos or jumbo have better team.

It's unlikely he can fully recover physically because it's an injury that no one has and that includes people who are much younger having similar injuries. They never got back to their previous levels. This is the exact reason I don't think it makes sense to offer him a contract until he has raced to prove where his level now is. Also as mentioned somewhere ISU is currently at their max for riders. They might be able to move 1 person around this year to bring him in, but it's unlikely they could bring in anyone else this year. Next year sure. Froome hasn't raced since before the Duaphine last year, so he's had a full year off. That's also going to affect racing level.

It's unlikely he can fully recover physically because it's an injury that no one has and that includes people who are much younger having similar injuries. They never got back to their previous levels. This is the exact reason I don't think it makes sense to offer him a contract until he has raced to prove where his level now is. Also as mentioned somewhere ISU is currently at their max for riders. They might be able to move 1 person around this year to bring him in, but it's unlikely they could bring in anyone else this year. Next year sure. Froome hasn't raced since before the Duaphine last year, so he's had a full year off. That's also going to affect racing level.

Yeah, that s risky move by isu. And i agree that the most difficult thing in this situation is froome recover, because if he can do that, in my opinion, i think that he doesn t need a great team by is side to win the tour.

Reactions: Koronin

Well, he did ride UAE. :)

Rui, why would you think so? If there's one thing Skyneos has shown, it's the worth of a strong team. (And that of a team that knows what else to do to win a Tour.) Froome has never shown he can do it without them. But they have shown they can win it without him.
(I'm more in favor of Froome as a person than Ineos as a team, but that's what I make of the facts.)

Rui, why would you think so? If there's one thing Skyneos has shown, it's the worth of a strong team. (And that of a team that knows what else to do to win a Tour.) Froome has never shown he can do it without them. But they have shown they can win it without him.
(I'm more in favor of Froome as a person than Ineos as a team, but that's what I make of the facts.)

He didn't exactly show anything there. I actually forgot he even raced it. Granted the entire race being stopped at everyone stuck there for at least a week is the most memorable part of the entire race so there's that as well.

In my opinion, it s important to have a good team surrounding a leader at the tour, but at the end of day, the best rider in best shape always win, because if a rider is not on his best shape, it s irrelevant that he is surrounding by a great team.

I heard ISU wants to sign GVA. I don't see how he helps Froome. If you're already full to the point where you need to remove someone to make room for Froome, it seems to me the last thing you would want to do is sign someone who doesn't fit into a GC team, but is mostly valued for stage wins. You're paying $5 million a year for Froome, then presumably a large chunk of cash for someone who is extraneous from the point of view of building a team around Froome.

The one factor I think is in Froome's favor on a new team without the Sky train, is that he climbs, or can climb, at his own pace. We've seen that in recent years, when he seems to yo-yo off and on the back of select MTF groups, not because he slows down and speeds up, but because the group does. Froome seems comfortable riding at his own pace, confident that any riders ahead of him will burn out and be catchable. It seems to me that the most important thing ISU would need to do is ensure that Froome is completely protected on flat or hilly stages, and let him worry about the climbs.

I heard ISU wants to sign GVA. I don't see how he helps Froome. If you're already full to the point where you need to remove someone to make room for Froome, it seems to me the last thing you would want to do is sign someone who doesn't fit into a GC team, but is mostly valued for stage wins. You're paying $5 million a year for Froome, then presumably a large chunk of cash for someone who is extraneous from the point of view of building a team around Froome.

The one factor I think is in Froome's favor on a new team without the Sky train, is that he climbs, or can climb, at his own pace. We've seen that in recent years, when he seems to yo-yo off and on the back of select MTF groups, not because he slows down and speeds up, but because the group does. Froome seems comfortable riding at his own pace, confident that any riders ahead of him will burn out and be catchable. It seems to me that the most important thing ISU would need to do is ensure that Froome is completely protected on flat or hilly stages, and let him worry about the climbs.
And he doesnt need to attack in the mountains, or take the yellow jersey in the first mountain stages, he just need to follow the best climbers, and wait to take the yellow jersey in the itt.

What I don’t understand about this deal is the amount of money (reportedly) involved. Because of his age, and the accident, Froome is a gamble, surely everyone accepts that. I can understand a team thinking, OK, we’ll be able to pay a discount because of this, and maybe we’ll hit the jackpot. But 5 million euros a year is not a discount. Froome is being offered what a team would ordinarily pay a rider in his prime, late 20s, and considered the favorite to win the TDF for several years to come. I believe the only rider who makes more than five million (barely) is Sagan. Bernal makes about half of that. If you were a new team, and could sign anyone you wanted, wouldn't you easily take Bernal over Froome at this point?

To make the risk even worse, there might not even be a Tour this year, which means one year is wasted, and Froome starts all over next year, a year older.

What I don’t understand about this deal is the amount of money (reportedly) involved. Because of his age, and the accident, Froome is a gamble, surely everyone accepts that. I can understand a team thinking, OK, we’ll be able to pay a discount because of this, and maybe we’ll hit the jackpot. But 5 million euros a year is not a discount. Froome is being offered what a team would ordinarily pay a rider in his prime, late 20s, and considered the favorite to win the TDF for several years to come. I believe the only rider who makes more than five million (barely) is Sagan. Bernal makes about half of that. If you were a new team, and could sign anyone you wanted, wouldn't you easily take Bernal over Froome at this point?

To make the risk even worse, there might not even be a Tour this year, which means one year is wasted, and Froome starts all over next year, a year older.
I can only assume their reasoning is that them attracting Froome might be worth it from a marketing point of view alone, regardless of his results. It can also serve as a statement of intent, and might help interesting riders to consider joining in the future.

Reactions: Koronin
I can only assume their reasoning is that them attracting Froome might be worth it from a marketing point of view alone, regardless of his results. It can also serve as a statement of intent, and might help interesting riders to consider joining in the future.

I can't think of any other reason a team would even consider paying him that amount until he proves he's recovered from the injury AND is still capable of winning Grand Tours. Even publicity can't be fully worth that kind of money.

Gotta love Sylvan Adams, a UCI World Masters Track Cycling Champion himself, for building a world-class velodrome in Israel. And if he now wants to pay the TopDawg many millions over three years I commend him for trying to drag cycling out of the bargain basement of professional sports. Of course the fans of the low budget teams that never compensate their riders properly will try to find fault.

According to today's article, Froome is telling teammates he'll be with Ineos for the Tour this year. Now signing him for next year for ISU makes more sense. Plus as they will have riders out of contract that means they'll have room to sign him and a few mountain helpers as well.

According to today's article, Froome is telling teammates he'll be with Ineos for the Tour this year. Now signing him for next year for ISU makes more sense. Plus as they will have riders out of contract that means they'll have room to sign him and a few mountain helpers as well.
Yeah.....makes more sense. Probably nieve could go to ISU next year. Nieve and martin helping froome sounds good.

You could use 15 million Euros to buy a lot of really good talent, and still have plenty left over for marketing. Also, ISU may have dug themselves into a hole, now that it appears Froome is staying with Ineos this year. If ISU really offered him 5 million a year for three years (and I understand this is just a rumor, it hasn't been confirmed), it would hard to back down from that offer if they try to sign him for next year. But unless Froome wins the TDF this year (or comes close, as in 2018), no one is going to consider his market value anywhere close to that. In the absence of a really strong, still-in-his-prime Tour, Froome will be getting offers for much less next year. ISU, you'd think, would have second thoughts about how much to offer Froome, but he might consider that bad faith, and just rule them out.

Even if Froome were to win the TDF this year, it might not help his value that much. He'll still be a year older next year, and if he's a five-time winner at that point, his only motivation will be for no. 6. But how much longer would he try for that?

You could use 15 million Euros to buy a lot of really good talent, and still have plenty left over for marketing. Also, ISU may have dug themselves into a hole, now that it appears Froome is staying with Ineos this year. If ISU really offered him 5 million a year for three years (and I understand this is just a rumor, it hasn't been confirmed), it would hard to back down from that offer if they try to sign him for next year. But unless Froome wins the TDF this year (or comes close, as in 2018), no one is going to consider his market value anywhere close to that. In the absence of a really strong, still-in-his-prime Tour, Froome will be getting offers for much less next year. ISU, you'd think, would have second thoughts about how much to offer Froome, but he might consider that bad faith, and just rule them out.

Even if Froome were to win the TDF this year, it might not help his value that much. He'll still be a year older next year, and if he's a five-time winner at that point, his only motivation will be for no. 6. But how much longer would he try for that?

I'm still not convinced the market is that large for him to begin with. Several teams if they survive definitely don't have the money to talk to him regardless of if they may want him. Then you have the classics teams that aren't interested and a handful of GC teams that already have the riders they want. Plus 2 teams have already said not interested. I don't get why you offer that much when he hasn't proven rather or not he's recovered from the injuries.

TRENDING THREADS