• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 594 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Ice-cold, what a humiliation if true, the 4x champion...

Probably pretty much unprecedented in this sport.

Sounds cruel, yes, but what if they see numbers that are totally not convincing and Froome nonetheless refuses to ride as a domestique, thinking he can make it until then. Would they want to risk having him in the team in the Tour? Not only not supporting Bernal, but maybe also bringing in conflicts? If that would be the case I would not bring him to the Tour either.

But it's probably just rumours. At this point it looks like it is a fight for power and money behind the scenes. Slight provocations, little threats, looking for alternatives.

Reactions: Koronin
Sounds cruel, yes, but what if they see numbers that are totally not convincing and Froome nonetheless refuses to ride as a domestique, thinking he can make it until then. Would they want to risk having him in the team in the Tour? Not only not supporting Bernal, but maybe also bringing in conflicts? If that would be the case I would not bring him to the Tour either.

But it's probably just rumours. At this point it looks like it is a fight for power and money behind the scenes. Slight provocations, little threats, looking for alternatives.

Yeah, if I'm INEOS I'm not sure I want to take him either. Don't know what he really brings to the squad other than drama, even if he's 95%+ fit (and he looks extremely fit).

But still, he's the 4 times champion, that used to mean something in cycling. I think he earned the right to ride whichever race he wants.

Would probably just be a pragmatic decision, really.
The 23-year-old up-and-coming defending Tour champion, vs. the 35-year-old at-the-end-of-his-prime guy who hasn't won a major race for over two years.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1276415050719408130

Reading this thread makes me think Froome will not be at the Tour.

Ineos like to have two leaders, they have never went in with three, and they could just swap Froome out for Amador.

I love Bernal...but judging by Froome latest photos on Instagram I think he will be out for blood in TdF if selected.

He looks in extremly good shape. My only concern is about his power. Physically he looks as best as ever but maybe he can't push the some watts as in the past. If he can do that he will be hard to stop. The parcours actually suits him very well(I think his biggest challenge will be the stage with Madeleine and Meribel). The climbs aren't extremely long or at immense altitude.

Ineos has a situation that could turn into a bigger circus that Movistar was the last two years. Ineos knows what the numbers look like and if they aren't sold on his recovery and think they'll be more of a problem by not riding for Bernal and/or Thomas the best option is to not take him.

If froome recovers he should be the leader at the tour, and bernal, thomas should work for him. If froome not recovers, ineos should not take him for the tour, and go with bernal as the leader.
No way you alienate a 23 year old defending Tour champ. He's the future. You don't want to do anything to jeopardize that relationship. Now, if Froome clearly shows he's stronger than Bernal in the mountains, that's another story.

Froome will likely prepare the best he can and will start TDF with the sole goal to win. In first week we will therefore likely see an internal battle in between Froome and Bernal, Thomas likely taking the neutral stand, being prepared to profit from the spat.
Good point on Geraint. That's how he won his last Tour.
If such a rivalry was to rear it's head how long do you think before someone would be disciplined by Ineos? They're not in the race solely for publicity so I'd doubt they'd risk the potential humiliation unless they have some serious faith that everyone will play fair for this year. Froome would have no upside to wreck Ineos' chances and fail at it.
It's like Cyclist Abi posed, except it could take more than a week to shake out weaknesses.

No way you alienate a 23 year old defending Tour champ. He's the future. You don't want to do anything to jeopardize that relationship. Now, if Froome clearly shows he's stronger than Bernal in the mountains, that's another story.
If ineos before the tour sees that froome is in his top shape and recovered, they should go with froome as a leader and bernal a superdomestique, he is a seven grand tour champion, and at his best,bernal or anybody as no chance against froome.

TRENDING THREADS