• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 607 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
I'd have thought winning a 5th Tour with Froome would be very appealing but maybe they don't really give a ***
It is very appealing, even more with the comeback story after his accident. The only reason not to bring him to the Tour de France would be is if they think they have more chance winning the Tour if Froome doesn't go to the Tour. That includes that Ineos/Brailsford would think he's (physically) not capable of winning.

It is very appealing, even more with the comeback story after his accident. The only reason not to bring him to the Tour de France would be is if they think they have more chance winning the Tour if Froome doesn't go to the Tour. That includes that Ineos/Brailsford would think he's (physically) not capable of winning.
He has a lot of tactical value even if he's only there as a domsestique in leader's clothes. He's only a liability if he's too sh*te to even be a domestique, or if he would *** up team tactics.

I can't see any point in him going as a domestique. Ineo$ have plenty of riders who have proven to be good at that job, want to do it, and have a future with the team
We haven't seen a willing domestique attitude from him. Rewatched the Wiggins "call back" stage and he still accelerated at the end at a time that could be risky. Then there's the 2018 stage where Geraint sat on Dumolin and Froome came back in the last km....GT knew he should go or he'd be on the back foot. That Froome faded after that stage didn't change my opinion on his willingness to work for GT.

Can't tell much re. Froome today in domestique mode for Sivakov today. Remember Tour of Alpes 2019 pre-crash, he was domestique for Sivakov shedding time on every stage to him. Ober 4 minutes in fact, but still leader for Dauphine and Tour. No reason in World for Froome to step in Sivakovs way here, he doesn't need a small race he's never even ridden and only in it because of lockdown. He knows how to prepare, Dauphine is where it matters and where it will be him, Bernal & Thomas all together as the Tour team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Can't tell much re. Froome today in domestique mode for Sivakov today. Remember Tour of Alpes 2019 pre-crash, he was domestique for Sivakov shedding time on every stage to him. Ober 4 minutes in fact, but still leader for Dauphine and Tour. No reason in World for Froome to step in Sivakovs way here, he doesn't need a small race he's never even ridden and only in it because of lockdown. He knows how to prepare, Dauphine is where it matters and where it will be him, Bernal & Thomas all together as the Tour team.
Don't you mean Bernal? Order of last workers was Castro, Froome, TGH, Sivakov, then Bernal to finish it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Sivakov wasn't domestique for Bernal, he's joint leader, Ineos already said that and from what I watched last 3 days Sivakov nor Bernal have been on the front, Froome has and Ineos have pretty much stayed o nthe front the entire stage too! Sivakov was second remember, he dropped the Astana rider and finished just 10s behind Bernal.

Sivakov wasn't domestique for Bernal, he's joint leader, Ineos already said that and from what I watched last 3 days Sivakov nor Bernal have been on the front, Froome has and Ineos have pretty much stayed o nthe front the entire stage too! Sivakov was second remember, he dropped the Astana rider and finished just 10s behind Bernal.
Did you actually watch the stage because that's exactly what he did. I'm sure Sivakov was 2nd leader but there wasn't much doubt that Egan was main guy for yesterday.

Froome:
"We did everything to set it up for Egan in the last couple of kilometres. The team rode fantastically today from the start took control straight away, basically we rode on the front all the way to the finish. It's fantastic."

Of course I watched it. Sivakov has been protected rider all 3 stages that I've watched. He would be doing through and off with Froome if a domestique. He's second leader, the team confirmed that, but there still has to be 1 and 2 hierarchy, just like there will be 1, 2 and 3 hierarchy in Dauphine next.

Of course I watched it. Sivakov has been protected rider all 3 stages that I've watched. He would be doing through and off with Froome if a domestique. He's second leader, the team confirmed that, but there still has to be 1 and 2 hierarchy, just like there will be 1, 2 and 3 hierarchy in Dauphine next.
Sounds like we're in agreement then. Bernal was #1 and Sivakov worked for him while everyone else worked for those two.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Porte also shipped 12 mins. He was pretty good at Ventoux 3 days ago.. What is going on?

Maybe Porte wanted to see if the Israelis would stump up more cash before he re-signs with Ineos?
No, am more surprised by Porte and Thomas actually (lost 5 mins). Think Thomas blew himself up following a Bennet move, but Froome just got dropped like a stone when Dumoulin did a relatively short but very strong pull.

Reactions: dutchdescent
Given the stellar performance of Ineos, from just a few days back, getting outclassed by TJV today, on stage 2 of Tour de l'Ain, likely Froome (and Thomas), came for stage 3. They likely didn't came to Tour de l'Ain to win overall, but for the ticket for the Tour. Doing well on Grand Colombier, that likely is that ticket. We'll see tomorrow. Tomorrow it likely comes down to make or break, at least for Froome.

Reactions: dutchdescent
it's officially over, the legend has spoken.

Bauke Mollema does not think Chris Froome will be able to win the Tour de France this year. “I don't actually include Froome anymore. You can see that he is not at the level where he will just win the Tour, I think

TRENDING THREADS