• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 633 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
I think his Vuelta showing was pure grit, determination and wanting to give something back to the team. I think those efforts took a lot out of him as I don't think his body was properly adjusted post-injury to those hard efforts and ultimately, it set his rehabilitation back a bit.

''Chris Froome says that "unexplainable pain” and problems with his right quad have hindered his comeback from his nasty crash in 2019.''

“I went to have some scans done straight after the Vuelta and we found that one of the screws was actually piercing through the bone and potentially causing a bit of a grating sensation on the muscle as I was cycling.”

''Chris Froome says that "unexplainable pain” and problems with his right quad have hindered his comeback from his nasty crash in 2019.''

“I went to have some scans done straight after the Vuelta and we found that one of the screws was actually piercing through the bone and potentially causing a bit of a grating sensation on the muscle as I was cycling.”

Ouch!

Did you see what was removed, it wasn't just a few screws, it was a piece of metal 6 to 8 inches long with multiple screws protruding from it. I remember him saying post surgery that the surgeon who operated on him said there was no reason why he couldn't return to his former level, and thought at the time I'd take that with a large pinch of salt ... I don't understand why he didn't have any metal work that could be removed, removed as soon as he could, i.e once fractures was completely healed, not doing so would only limit and slow his recovery. In fact if those screws were rubbing on his muscle it's probably done more damage if anything. It sounds like some of medical advice has not been the best, when it needs to be on point to maximise his chances of a full recovery.

Reactions: jmdirt

He got those screws and plates removed. See 1:10 of the video I posted above.

My current assessment, after Alps. His head is in the right place. Realistically knowing where he is and the determination isn't lacking, he knows where he wants to be. In addition he is prepared to do the work to get to there. In short he is being realistic and mentally strong. As for his body. I feel that the pain is likely not a key factor anymore. Body is ready now, to take more stress. This isn't about being at the bottom anymore, bounce back has started. Just don't force it and it will come. Races like Tour de Romandie, he likely just uses them as an endurance training. Adding ever so slightly.

That's the problem with today world, isn't it? People are generally speaking just so impatient. Not prepared to invest in anything more lengthy to reach some goal anymore. Like instant or surely it doesn't have any value.

P.S. People should i guess look up to people like Froome more.

That's the problem with today world, isn't it? People are generally speaking just so impatient. Not prepared to invest in anything more lengthy to reach some goal anymore. Like instant or surely it doesn't have any value.

this surely can’t be the case of fans being impatient. It‘s almost two years since the accident now and Froome’s curve of recovery seems to have plateaued one year ago. So this means virtually zero improvement last 12 month - a timeframe that would typically represent 10% of one’s career.

On top of that - in today’s field with all the young guys emerging and records being smashed on regular basis even if Froome achieved his former levels, would that have been enough to compete for the win? It’s what he’s been claiming he would do this year and it’s what ISN signed him up for.

No this is not the case of anyone being impatient - it’s just that by now pretty much everyone realised it’s not gonna happen for him. Kudos for trying though. The only mistake he made in my opinion is having this ridiculous salary. It just looks bad. In mean of course he has the right to earn as much as he can but then again, his legacy is his responsibility...

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
The good news is Chris Froome is participating in the Tour de Romandie, which starts this Tuesday.

That's a quick turnaround and will give this site plenty of more headlines about his struggles/improvements/breakaway prowess/recovery/race rhythm/ condition/determination/salary/legacy/power numbers etc...

Which gives us loads of stuff to write about here.

Bring it on!

this surely can’t be the case of fans being impatient. It‘s almost two years since the accident now and Froome’s curve of recovery seems to have plateaued one year ago. So this means virtually zero improvement last 12 month - a timeframe that would typically represent 10% of one’s career.

On top of that - in today’s field with all the young guys emerging and records being smashed on regular basis even if Froome achieved his former levels, would that have been enough to compete for the win? It’s what he’s been claiming he would do this year and it’s what ISN signed him up for.

No this is not the case of anyone being impatient - it’s just that by now pretty much everyone realised it’s not gonna happen for him. Kudos for trying though. The only mistake he made in my opinion is having this ridiculous salary. It just looks bad. In mean of course he has the right to earn as much as he can but then again, his legacy is his responsibility...

I agree with a fair amount of your post, but not this last bit. His only mistake is his salary? Pretty sure that would be the mistake of his team, not Froome.

I’d imagine most people would happily accept a huge payday for several years to do the job they do now but somewhere else.

Convincing an employer to fork out millions on a multi-year deal for him is a masterstroke, not a mistake.

I agree with a fair amount of your post, but not this last bit. His only mistake is his salary? Pretty sure that would be the mistake of his team, not Froome.

I’d imagine most people would happily accept a huge payday for several years to do the job they do now but somewhere else.

Convincing an employer to fork out millions on a multi-year deal for him is a masterstroke, not a mistake.
I mean sure it’s a fantanstic achievement for him from the business POV but it could tarnish his legacy. That remains to be seen but he may regret taking this salary in the end because there’s no real exit strategy for him now...

I mean sure it’s a fantanstic achievement for him from the business POV but it could tarnish his legacy. That remains to be seen but he may regret taking this salary in the end because there’s no real exit strategy for him now...

I think the legacy argument is just purely down to opinion. To be fair there have been people on here and on social media who were anti-Froome but have softened a little and respect that he wants to try and come back from a pretty horrific accident.

The people who dislike him and the people that like him aren’t going to alter their views on his legacy either way depending on where you stand. As for the exit strategy, he can still bow out when he wants to, plenty of athletes call it day when they still have a lucrative contract to run.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

There are a few examples in this sport which Froome should have been aware of, i.e. if Miguel Indurain had gone to ONCE & accepted the contract (pretty large sum as well) offered by Manolo Saiz in 1996, he would have undeniably hurt his image after a few years of riding around getting thrown out of the back of the peloton as soon as the road went up. That's just a fact, i.e. it looks bad.

Cycling is one of those sports where former stars on the way down face brutal humiliation with the TV cameras zooming in on the dropped rider. Indurain had his at Les Arcs in 1996 & noped out of repeat scenarios, even when he could have made more money.

What do you think the French TV cameras will do in the Tour this year when Froome gets spat out the back? Zoom in of course, i.e. on a rider who's making more money than the stars who're winning at the business end of the race (& of course more money than his own teammates who're performing way better).

I wouldn't call it a "masterstroke" when people see the guy on the highest wage performing like a continental pro rider.

Reactions: Koronin
There are a few examples in this sport which Froome should have been aware of, i.e. if Miguel Indurain had gone to ONCE & accepted the contract (pretty large sum as well) offered by Manolo Saiz in 1996, he would have undeniably hurt his image after a few years of riding around getting thrown out of the back of the peloton as soon as the road went up. That's just a fact, i.e. it looks bad.

Cycling is one of those sports where former stars on the way down face brutal humiliation with the TV cameras zooming in on the dropped rider. Indurain had his at Les Arcs in 1996 & noped out of repeat scenarios, even when he could have made more money.

What do you think the French TV cameras will do in the Tour this year when Froome gets spat out the back? Zoom in of course, i.e. on a rider who's making more money than the stars who're winning at the business end of the race (& of course more money than his own teammates who're performing way better).

I wouldn't call it a "masterstroke" when people see the guy on the highest wage performing like a continental pro rider.

If he fails in the Tour and gets dropped repeatedly then my thoughts are with ISN for offering him a stupid contract, not with Froome for taking it.

He’s been committed to trying to come back and win again after his accident and that’s his right. It won’t effect his legacy of GT wins at his peak at all.

For what it’s worth I don’t think he’ll go on past this season anyway if he can’t get back to anywhere near his best.

someone here suggested he will probably be a DNS early in Tour to avoid humiliation, but otherwise it will be a painful Tour for him in more than one way. He is maybe just barely good enough now to make it to Paris in the time cuts.

And the cameras will be present always. Noblesse oblige.

someone here suggested he will probably be a DNS early in Tour to avoid humiliation, but otherwise it will be a painful Tour for him in more than one way. He is maybe just barely good enough now to make it to Paris in the time cuts.

And the cameras will be present always. Noblesse oblige.
I don't think he'll be OOT

Don't think he'll be climbing worse than pure sprinters + route is too shitty for OTL

I don't think he'll be OOT

Don't think he'll be climbing worse than pure sprinters + route is too shitty for OTL
Lets hope so. He is still one of the legends and coming back to racing after this injury is already quite amazing. He might never find his old form, but does not deserve to be completely ridden away at the tour, but I fear for it. The route might indeed be in his favour.

This shouldn't tarnish his legacy, nor can you ridicule him for taking the money. He is coming back from a terrible injury and trying to find success. If anything that adds to his legacy. Sure, he'll face comments if he isn't up to par but that's the same in any sport with the big names. You can't blame someone for taking money offered to them. That rests on whoever's idea it was to offer it.

This shouldn't tarnish his legacy, nor can you ridicule him for taking the money. He is coming back from a terrible injury and trying to find success. If anything that adds to his legacy. Sure, he'll face comments if he isn't up to par but that's the same in any sport with the big names. You can't blame someone for taking money offered to them. That rests on whoever's idea it was to offer it.
I wouldn't blame him for taking the money lol, but I'm also not gonna pretend it adds to his legacy, though I'd say it doesn't tarnish it.

But he's just not at a level where there's anything to enjoy even for his fans, so the real comeback is the memes we made along the way if this continues.

Impatience factors in here, how? Froome suffered an injury that took him from being pro tour cyclist to a continental cyclist. Nobody was critiquing on this but it’s been two years and he keeps getting older and he’s not really getting any better.

It’s unfortunate but a reality of life. Hanging onto some hope that he’s going to magically become an upper echelon rider again is only putting yourself in a spot to be disappointed.

There are so many exciting young talents to follow in the sport and they are diverse in their skill sets and talents. We’re going through another golden age of cycling like the 60s and 70s.

I wouldn't blame him for taking the money lol, but I'm also not gonna pretend it adds to his legacy, though I'd say it doesn't tarnish it.

But he's just not at a level where there's anything to enjoy even for his fans, so the real comeback is the memes we made along the way if this continues.
I would think it adds to his character that he came back and tried returning to winning form. Once someone reaches his status, it can only be added to unless a big scandal happens. Which taking the money is not part of.

I would think it adds to his character that he came back and tried returning to winning form. Once someone reaches his status, it can only be added to unless a big scandal happens. Which taking the money is not part of.
Cavendish, who noone would hire and who only got a spot after a private sponsor stepped in , yes.

Froome, who's at meme level and still making millions? Nah not really . It's neutral.

Froome is very fortunate to have secured "retirement money" out of the Israel Start-Up Nation project contract, well knowing his career ended after the crash. Whatever PR is used to justify his invisible performance during this year will not hide what is evident.
Once again - Good on him for cashing out when the opportunity was there for the taken, but believing he's coming back to a pre-accident form & performance is daydreaming TBH

TRENDING THREADS