• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 635 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
That's all fine, but surely you don't suggest that they're happy with the contract...

I think everyone involved would have expected Froome to be better than this. This is grabbing onto the motor bike, paper-boy up the climb stuff. Worse, really.

Happy, no - that would be overstating the case for sure. I was thinking more 'not absolutely devastated', since a large part of their intent when signing Froome was clearly the increased profile it gave them as a team. A lot of the value to a signing like Froome to a team like ISN was saying 'look everybody, we're a team who can throw a 5m contract out there.' Could they have spent the 5m better? If we're talking about performances on the road then yes, undoubtedly.

I don’t think ISN will select him for TDF team. He has about 6 weeks to show something for the Dauphine, otherwise I’d be very surprised if he goes TDF, as others have said, he has regressed from last year. At Occitanie last year he was actually alright, was one of last 7/8 in peloton on few stages working for Bernal. This year, he has been worse in my opinion, obviously it is mainly because of injury and time off bike, muscle problems etc. But also the fact that he is now closer to 40 than 30.

Reactions: ppanther92
I don’t think ISN will select him for TDF team. He has about 6 weeks to show something for the Dauphine, otherwise I’d be very surprised if he goes TDF, as others have said, he has regressed from last year. At Occitanie last year he was actually alright, was one of last 7/8 in peloton on few stages working for Bernal. This year, he has been worse in my opinion, obviously it is mainly because of injury and time off bike, muscle problems etc. But also the fact that he is now closer to 40 than 30.
He was better in uae tour this year. It's getting worse.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Since the crash:

-71st Overall UAE tour 2020
-37th overall Occitanie 2020
-41st overall L'ain 2020
-71st overall dauphine 2020
-91st overall tirreno 2020
-DNF liege 2020
-98th Overall vuelta 2020
-47th overall UAE tour 2021
-81st overall catalunya 2021
-93rd overall tour of the alpes 2021

he did manage to get 22nd on a sprint stage of UAE tour this year, best result since crash.

But it seems like he starts a racing block better off than he finishes it, his results slowly get worse over a couple of months. Decent at occitanie, decent at UAE this year, then it slips.

Today in the second group of four. Considing the rain, not too bad, but as he use to do the last year. I have seen now his breakaway in Tour of the Alps. He was pulling very often in the flat, but he had some problems on the climb to follow Luis Leon pace. I think his main problem now is weight. He looks like when he rides for Barloworld, He need as least to lose 2 kilos, and I think that when he lose it he will be at a good level. But I am not sure if he dont want to lose it yet or if he is no able for some reason,

Reactions: Poursuivant
Today in the second group of four. Considing the rain, not too bad, but as he use to do the last year. I have seen now his breakaway in Tour of the Alps. He was pulling very often in the flat, but he had some problems on the climb to follow Luis Leon pace. I think his main problem now is weight. He looks like when he rides for Barloworld, He need as least to lose 2 kilos, and I think that when he lose it he will be at a good level. But I am not sure if he dont want to lose it yet or if he is no able for some reason,
I think he does not look good even if he loses weight. Too often he loses contact on flat parts in the end of stages, too bad are his TTs. So I clearly think he is also missing quite some watts. But I agree that he also has some wight to lose. But that might actually be a sensible strategy if he is looking to rebuild his injured leg (but then again - how long does it take or is his current level not rather permanent).

That he starts off better after training cycles and then becomes apparently weaker after racing more is interesting though.

Reactions: Taxus4a
I think he does not look good even if he loses weight. Too often he loses contact on flat parts in the end of stages, too bad are his TTs. So I clearly think he is also missing quite some watts. But I agree that he also has some wight to lose. But that might actually be a sensible strategy if he is looking to rebuild his injured leg (but then again - how long does it take or is his current level not rather permanent).

That he starts off better after training cycles and then becomes apparently weaker after racing more is interesting though.
Os course he has lose watts, but at the end of flat stages he has been ok. He lost time on the echelons in the desert, but one stage he was 22 th. https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=37868 and the rest of the stages he did this year, there were climbs, and I think he lost time on the climbs.

Unless he chooses not to himself then he is going to the tour.

Sponsors pay the bill. They want the coverage.

Comparing current-form Porte to current-form Froome is not a fair comparison. Porte has done really well in one week stage races and seems to be injury-free.

Its a fair comparison. How long ago was Froome injured - June 2019. It is now almost 2 years later, he is riding grupetto and amongst the last in ITTs - when did that ever happen pre crash? As I have said before Froome was already showing signs of age related decline before his crash. The miracle isn't going to happen sorry

Reactions: Koronin
Its a fair comparison. How long ago was Froome injured - June 2019. It is now almost 2 years later, he is riding grupetto and amongst the last in ITTs - when did that ever happen pre crash? As I have said before Froome was already showing signs of age related decline before his crash. The miracle isn't going to happen sorry

Even with age and without his crash, Froome could still do Top 5 on GC. Yes, it is probably harder to recover to his previous level because of his age but he's giving it a right go.

TRENDING THREADS