• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 670 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Yesterday he did good numbers in his training. hope to see him better at Tour of Slovakia, Maybe he has not to work for anybody and the weather is good.
At Germany he didnt show any progress. But he was working and with that terrible weather just to finish was no bad.
No, the numbers in the training were weak, and it's to many excuses, i'm a big fan of froome but there is some limits to the fanaticism.

No, the numbers in the training were weak, and it's to many excuses, i'm a big fan of froome but there is some limits to the fanaticism.
I ewas comparing with similar trianings he did 4 years ago and it was similar, He was KOm at the main climb at strava, above other pro cyclist. It is difficult to evaluate the numbers becouse I dont know wich intensity he did, but anyway, it wanst bad to be alone with those climbs.

I said he was bad ar Germany and I just show my wish he is better at Slovakia. No more.

Reactions: Froome
The mythical froome 'numbers in training'

It's like the mythical contador 'good sensations'
I think is just my poor english, haha.

l like anyway his determination. In Burgos one of his spanisgh director told me he is an amazing sufferer.

In Deutchland Tour he was one stage cut by echelons....he was one of the last one to come back to the group, but 2 minutes later he was in the front part of the peloton close to Greipel helping the team. 5 minutes later he dissapeared and finally he lost several minutes. That is nice for me for any rider, but more if he has won 4 Tours

8 sept.
Some training days just hit different! Sunshine, good tunes & strong legs

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Today training with the team in Slovakia, he was the second stronger of the climbs after Friedick Hagen. That is not to be very optimistic. The team has a decent sprinter, Einhorn, so maybe he has to work for him.
Who knows what form freidrik hagen has after 2 years without good results. I don't understand really what froome is doing at this point in his career other than collecting some nice money.

Slovakia Tour is quite flat. Israel will go for Einhorn you are right.

Who knows what form freidrik hagen has after 2 years without good results. I don't understand really what froome is doing at this point in his career other than collecting some nice money.

Slovakia Tour is quite flat. Israel will go for Einhorn you are right.

difficult to have good results in 2021 when Hagen have had an injury in March and only back in August.

and for Froome, at least , he's reinvesting his "some nice money" in business related to cycling....

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was just a training....for the same climbs he will do tomorrow in the race...Hagen did KOM of strava, and he did an average of 180 VPM, so he was at maximun I think. Froome was more than 1 minute behind and Einhorn more than 3 minutes. Difficult to take conclusions if we dont know wich intensity did Froome. Varthra was similar to him at 160 VPM...but if Hagen is the one who was top ten at the Vuelta and Froome wanst at full gas, he would be improving.

I think he will help the team, specially to try sprint wirh Einhorn.and he will lost time to finish among the last 30 riders in GC at the end.... But maybe I am wrong and he is in a break or attacking aat the end or among the top 30 at GC.

Edit. Acording he did on the prologue, he will be in the last 50 riders on GC. although a short prologue like this, with a corner at the middle, so explosive, is the worst race for him..but the field was not a Tour de France level...motovated people ,. but lot of them slovakian people far from Worl Tour level. He should have been at the middle of the clasification to be optimistic with his performance here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Last edited:
In his most recent big sit-down interview Chris claims all that he is missing now is the "hard miles in the legs."
Really? How many more miles can he do? He is constantly out pedalling isn't he? Has been for almost the last two years.
Chris's only real admission is that he lacks power in bursts (like staying with the peloton on a Cat.2 climb although he doesn't put it like that).
Can this really be solved by more "hard miles"?
Surely Chris will have to come up with something more than that to achieve a second unprecedented transformation.

In his most recent big sit-down interview Chris claims all that he is missing now is the "hard miles in the legs."
Really? How many more miles can he do? He is constantly out pedalling isn't he? Has been for almost the last two years.
Chris's only real admission is that he lacks power in bursts (like staying with the peloton on a Cat.2 climb although he doesn't put it like that).
Can this really be solved by more "hard miles"?
Surely Chris will have to come up with something more than that to achieve a second unprecedented transformation.

I'm going to assume the way most people approach the Chris Froome situation is to assume his team doesn't actually believe the stuff he's saying & both parties are just in it for the sake of 'mutually beneficial' publicity or whatnot.

Because "if" he's actually on that wage he's reported to be on (5 million a year or thereabouts for many more years) & "if" he's actually trying to seriously make the world (& his team) believe he's progressing & can get back to his best (when he's going to be 37 next year)... then maybe Israel Start-Up Nation should hire Patrick Lefevere as their manager.

TRENDING THREADS