• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 697 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Is he just becoming the Michael Scott of the Pro peloton or what? How long will he drag his "numbers are improving" or "I'm getting where I want to be" BS and is his team or people around him really buying it?

his team likely knows (as he does) he won't be a top-20 GT contender anymore, but perhaps his image/name brings ISN profits

If he is getting that much rub he needs a new mechanic. Granted I don't come down mountain passes, but all of my riding is in the dirt (dust on everything). After a quick cleaning and adjustment I can usually go about 30 rides before I need another quick cleaning and adjustment. When one piston does hang up, I don't get rub, I get less breaking power. Sometimes a quick squirt from the water bottle can be enough to fix a slightly sticky piston.
Let's be honest, Froome is only trolling for clickbaits now

Chris Froome is featuring pretty heavily in Tour of the Alps marketing.
He will be at the start of the five-day stage race on April 18.
He says all his injury niggles are behind him and there is no reason he cannot ramp up the intensity.
Will be interesting to see how this translates to the roads.
I bet his rivals are trembling.

Chris Froome is featuring pretty heavily in Tour of the Alps marketing.
He will be at the start of the five-day stage race on April 18.
He says all his injury niggles are behind him and there is no reason he cannot ramp up the intensity.
Will be interesting to see how this translates to the roads.
I bet his rivals are trembling.
Well, it is an important race for his future in pro cycling.

Of course is normal to be pesimisstic and to be sure he is done as a big GC contender, because he has been always in the last 2 and a half years at a low or medium level, with any important result, quite bad for a world tour level rider.

His last part of the last season gave the hope, for the optimistic like me, to show this year a competitive level. But according his first race, not a World Tour race, where he was one of the worst riders, it looks like any progress is done, and time pass by.

But, there are some points to doubt and to have hope about this season for him:

- This race with several short climbs and quite short kilometres long is not the best for him especially after 5 month out of competition.

- He was doing base so far in Gran Canaria, after his knee problem at the new year. this race was just thinking in the future.

- He finished the race, and he was clearly better in the last stage than he did in the first, in a group with Bettiol, Kangert, Galloping,... with 2 groups more behind.

- He has 2 kilos still to lose.

- And he did 2 days ago an impressive training of more than 8 hours...His global numbers are good, but maybe no so impressive to take conclusions...234 km 3800 m gained...29,4 km/h...but if you see in detail...onto a such long training, he did KOM in 2 km sector the main climb of the day(second in the hole climb)...above the best times of people as Pinot or Barguil there...in a longer training...

And that is something to take into account and to wait to an important progression for Tour of the Alps.

The race will have an important startlist, and his team will be strong, with people stronger than him this 2 last years, so in theory, maybe he has to work...

But I don't role out the possibility lot of people surprise about his level. Of course he is not going to be to fight for the podium now...but a top 20 if he don't have to work, or something similar to that level, will be surprising and of course a big progression from last race, and it would open the possibility to see him at his best level again this year.

I am not saying that is going to happen, but, after to be quite pesimistic his first day in Coppi Bartali, now I am moderately optimistic, and more after to ear from him he is now out of phisical problem first time in 3 years and the training he put on strava

Our Chris has just dropped a new video reviewing his performance at the second-rate Coppi e Bartali, which he admitted finding very intense and challenging.
He is remarkably close, he claims, to his all-time perfect racing weight from his glory years and only needs to lose two kilos (4.4 pounds) to match it.
He compares his current weight to being the equivalent of permanently carrying four full bidons on his back throughout a race.
If you remember part of his 2011 transformation was his ability, after years in the pro ranks with all the training and nutrition demands that brings to finally "lose the fat".
Chris also says he is now turning his attention to the high-intensity ten-minute or so efforts vital to a pro cyclist's success.
Will this, coupled with the weight loss, see him finally flying up those climbs?
We will see at the upcoming Tour of the Alps.

It does somewhat beggar belief that losing 2 kg would be that transformational. Froome is 1.86 m tall so that's hardly even worth mentioning. I think the crash just messed up his physiognomy too much. If you look at other riders who haven't really come back to their previous levels from far less-serious injuries (Buchmann, Dumoulin) it's actually not surprising.

Obligatory disclaimer: I could be proven wrong, of course.

Our Chris has just dropped a new video reviewing his performance at the second-rate Coppi e Bartali, which he admitted finding very intense and challenging.
He is remarkably close, he claims, to his all-time perfect racing weight from his glory years and only needs to lose two kilos (4.4 pounds) to match it.
He compares his current weight to being the equivalent of permanently carrying four full bidons on his back throughout a race.
If you remember part of his 2011 transformation was his ability, after years in the pro ranks with all the training and nutrition demands that brings to finally "lose the fat".
Chris also says he is now turning his attention to the high-intensity ten-minute or so efforts vital to a pro cyclist's success.
Will this, coupled with the weight loss, see him finally flying up those climbs?
We will see at the upcoming Tour of the Alps.
I'm reminded of the young Monica in Friends......our hapless hero was in a fat suit and nobody told him...not even SDB :D

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, it is an important race for his future in pro cycling.

Of course is normal to be pesimisstic and to be sure he is done as a big GC contender, because he has been always in the last 2 and a half years at a low or medium level, with any important result, quite bad for a world tour level rider.

His last part of the last season gave the hope, for the optimistic like me, to show this year a competitive level. But according his first race, not a World Tour race, where he was one of the worst riders, it looks like any progress is done, and time pass by.

But, there are some points to doubt and to have hope about this season for him:

- This race with several short climbs and quite short kilometres long is not the best for him especially after 5 month out of competition.

- He was doing base so far in Gran Canaria, after his knee problem at the new year. this race was just thinking in the future.

- He finished the race, and he was clearly better in the last stage than he did in the first, in a group with Bettiol, Kangert, Galloping,... with 2 groups more behind.

- He has 2 kilos still to lose.

- And he did 2 days ago an impressive training of more than 8 hours...His global numbers are good, but maybe no so impressive to take conclusions...234 km 3800 m gained...29,4 km/h...but if you see in detail...onto a such long training, he did KOM in 2 km sector the main climb of the day(second in the hole climb)...above the best times of people as Pinot or Barguil there...in a longer training...

And that is something to take into account and to wait to an important progression for Tour of the Alps.

The race will have an important startlist, and his team will be strong, with people stronger than him this 2 last years, so in theory, maybe he has to work...

But I don't role out the possibility lot of people surprise about his level. Of course he is not going to be to fight for the podium now...but a top 20 if he don't have to work, or something similar to that level, will be surprising and of course a big progression from last race, and it would open the possibility to see him at his best level again this year.

I am not saying that is going to happen, but, after to be quite pesimistic his first day in Coppi Bartali, now I am moderately optimistic, and more after to ear from him he is now out of phisical problem first time in 3 years and the training he put on strava
The weird thing is that he didn't train at altitude yet..

Peña Cabarga, La Toussuire, the Vuelta 2012 interview where he called it a goldmine od experience and that he's very confident he would one day get there. And the crushing domination that followed...

All feel like only weeks ago, time passes quickly and here we are witnessing Chris - the man of the 2010s - trying to prevent the sun from setting, while grand tours landscape is dominated by Rabobank and Lampre.

Peña Cabarga, La Toussuire, the Vuelta 2012 interview where he called it a goldmine od experience and that he's very confident he would one day get there. And the crushing domination that followed...

All feel like only weeks ago, time passes quickly and here we are witnessing Chris - the man of the 2010s - trying to prevent the sun from setting, while grand tours landscape is dominated by Rabobank and Lampre.

Pog & Rog are just transient anomalies.
Chris is eternal.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The five-stage Tour of the Alps begins on April 18 and Chris Froome is expected to be there.
During these five days Froome and the peloton will have to contend with three Category 1 climbs and five Category 2 climbs.
Once a demon in the mountains Froome is now a liability.
Is this going to be painful to watch? Or is there anybody here who believes we are going to see huge improvements to match the optimism Froome himself has communicated in his recent videos?
Will the two kilos extra weight be dropped by next week? Will his new high-intensity training achieve a huge turnaround?
I can't wait to see..............

The five-stage Tour of the Alps begins on April 18 and Chris Froome is expected to be there.
During these five days Froome and the peloton will have to contend with three Category 1 climbs and five Category 2 climbs.
Once a demon in the mountains Froome is now a liability.
Is this going to be painful to watch? Or is there anybody here who believes we are going to see huge improvements to match the optimism Froome himself has communicated in his recent videos?
Will the two kilos extra weight be dropped by next week? Will his new high-intensity training achieve a huge turnaround?
I can't wait to see..............

I expect a strong Chris Froome, even better than he was in Coppi&Bartali.

The plan is to improve from race to race. After Tour of the Alps, he‘ll be doing Romandie, then Dauphine and TdF. He should and will be at 100% at the TdF. Everything beforehand is just preparation.

Goal is still to win a fifth TdF, although this won‘t be easy against riders like Pogacar and Roglic (if Roglic will be healthy in July).

I expect a strong Chris Froome, even better than he was in Coppi&Bartali.

The plan is to improve from race to race. After Tour of the Alps, he‘ll be doing Romandie, then Dauphine and TdF. He should and will be at 100% at the TdF. Everything beforehand is just preparation.

Goal is still to win a fifth TdF, although this won‘t be easy against riders like Pogacar and Roglic (if Roglic will be healthy in July).

'Won't be easy'! 'Won't be easy'! You can say that again. 'Won't be easy' to win a fifth TdF?
On current form it 'won't be easy' for our Froome to even stay with the peloton.
We don't even know if Israel will even pick him for the race.
He is absolutely miles away from being remotely competitive in one single stage of the Tdf.

'Won't be easy'! 'Won't be easy'! You can say that again. 'Won't be easy' to win a fifth TdF?
On current form it 'won't be easy' for our Froome to even stay with the peloton.
We don't even know if Israel will even pick him for the race.
He is absolutely miles away from being remotely competitive in one single stage of the Tdf.

Yeah, but he will improve. He still has half of April, full May and June.

He says the numbers he does in training don‘t lie. The contract he has with Israel gives him the chance to build up step-by-step towards TdF victory #5. Could be 2022, could be later… :)

TRENDING THREADS