• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 728 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
I don't really think Froome doesn't deserve one more Tour, lots of worst riders rode the Tour anyway. It's nothing too exciting.

I just can't wait for the fun of reading "he's making amazing progress", "he looks ready to top 10 the MTF" etc. after every stage, then the excuses and bewilderment that will follow, and of course the social media posts from the man himself saying the same things over and over again and we can all be happy like it's 2013.

Reactions: Fuente De
Well I’m not paying his salary so good luck to Froome. Just hope he finishes the Tour anything better is a bonus.

Whatever you think of him, his awkward climbing style or Skyneos, Froome’s story post crash is quite sad. But at the end of the day he has 4 TdF victories, 2 Vuelta and 1 Giro win and was at his peak arguably the best GC rider in the world. Nobody can take that record away from him.

Israel Startup Nation did a deal to sign Chris for €15 million, his Palmares are unchallengeable, he had a terrible accident that brought him close to death, and resulted in him having to learn how to walk again, he then had to learn how to ride a bike again!

Yet he still finishes ahead of other riders in UCI world tour riders sure he is not in the top ten but I wonder how many of those on here being so critical of the man could achieve that?

Chris knows how SKY trained and won,what systems they had in place to support their incredible success and from what I read he seems to lift those around him.

So given that professional cycling is a business, can anyone give a good reason as to WHY, the Israel Startup Nation team would not attempt to recoup some of the investment they have in Chris by NOT taking him to the Tour?

I am not a huge fan of the manner in which he won but I cannot deny his victories INCLUDING his fight back against near-death give the man a break it is too easy sitting on the couch typing smug nonsense and YES I am sure there will be some that say this piece falls into that category.

Imagine someone has been in hospital or in jail since summer 2019, leaves in summer 2022, and gets told that Froome starts the Tour 2022, but will be a domestique for Fuglsang… I think no one would believe that… ;)

But Chris still has what is needed, and still is one of the 200 best of his profession. He was the best in the world for a few years, and still is good. He obviously still likes what he does, and the number of his supporters and fans might even have increased since 2019. Glad that he‘s still around… :)

Reactions: cantpedal
Israel Startup Nation did a deal to sign Chris for €15 million, his Palmares are unchallengeable, he had a terrible accident that brought him close to death, and resulted in him having to learn how to walk again, he then had to learn how to ride a bike again!

Yet he still finishes ahead of other riders in UCI world tour riders sure he is not in the top ten but I wonder how many of those on here being so critical of the man could achieve that?

Chris knows how SKY trained and won,what systems they had in place to support their incredible success and from what I read he seems to lift those around him.

So given that professional cycling is a business, can anyone give a good reason as to WHY, the Israel Startup Nation team would not attempt to recoup some of the investment they have in Chris by NOT taking him to the Tour?

I am not a huge fan of the manner in which he won but I cannot deny his victories INCLUDING his fight back against near-death give the man a break it is too easy sitting on the couch typing smug nonsense and YES I am sure there will be some that say this piece falls into that category.

he didn’t break his head, didn’t have brain trauma where he had to relearn basic things.

Bradley Wiggins says Chris Froome will "surprise us all": Bradley Wiggins says Mark Cavendish deserves Tour de France spot and backs Chris Froome to ‘surprise us all’ - Eurosport

Of four-time winner Froome, who will line-up for Israel Premier Tech, Wiggins said: “He may surprise us all. GC may be beyond him, but it would be nice to see him up the road in a break and pull off a stage win.”

I doubt it. But strange things have happened before in the TdF.

he didn’t break his head, didn’t have brain trauma where he had to relearn basic things.

It is known Froome was dismembered, decapitated, suffered third degree burns over 99% of his body, lost 5 litres of blood (all of it, basically), was half-eaten by a wild boar & worst of all, broke his TT bike (they're very expensive & Dave Brailsford was mega unhappy about it). He also lost his handkerchief as well.

He was basically rebuilt from his hair samples, with his iconic riding style being all that remains of former Froome.

What for example?

Open the TdF history books & take your pick. It's a race often filled with the most unlikely comebacks, resurrections & stage wins/performances which defy physics, science & reality. I once as a kid sat gobsmacked at the sight of Richard Virenque holding off prime 2002 Lance on the Ventoux. I once watched Voeckler turn into a GC climber because "reasons" (or how about old man Lance out of retirement getting a podium in 2009? Insane, but before the eventual revelations, people had cheered it, i.e. for example a "Chapeau, le Texan" headline in L'Equipe at the time). Cavendish last year was already 'crazy' but now it all seems accepted as normal. There's way more & everyone will remember weirdness to varying degrees. 7 days before the Tour the notion a completely washed-up Chris Froome could win a stage seems like a joke. But, this isn't just sport, it's also showbusiness.

I say Froome has 99% more chance of a DNF than winning a stage but history tells us that 1% of potential "OMG what the hell am I watching?" does exist. For what it's worth, Froome would become the oldest stage winner since 1976 if he does indeed nab a stage: Oldest stage winners | ProCyclingStats

Judging by his non-existent form & the data, he really has absolutely no business going to the TdF to target a stage because the odds are astronomically slim. In fact it's the very fact he's going which I find perturbing, i.e. because if sport & even his image were the primary concerns, he'd be retired already. Riding around gruppetto, getting dropped like a stone & failing to have any impact on the race (or help his teammates) doesn't look good.

I can hear the stampede of his defense force already, i.e. "he's so brave ur such a filthy hater shut up!". Yeah, he's also taking someone else's spot at the TdF.