• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 731 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Unfortunately 2013 Froome gets crushed by Pogacar. Then his biggest rival was a young Quintana, who put him in difficulty on the last mountain. But can we really imagine that a young Quintana troubles Tadej?
The Quintana from that tour was actually very good, albeit inexperienced (judging by his too early attacks) Froome smoked him up Ax-3-domaines though (he smoked everyone that day). Later in the tour he started to fade and Quintanita could trouble him.

Reactions: Extinction
Unfortunately 2013 Froome gets crushed by Pogacar. Then his biggest rival was a young Quintana, who put him in difficulty on the last mountain. But can we really imagine that a young Quintana troubles Tadej?
Didnt Pog get dropped by some kid last year or year before on the mega long MTF, Quintana Huez performance was more impressive than Vingaards

Froome: "I finally managed to get down to my race weight. (...) If I can trust these numbers, I guess within 10, 15 watts of where I've been previously. What was interesting this time is I went further in comparison to other tests I've done... which means I'm moving faster, moving fast uphill. That's evidence to show that losing weight and doing hill climbs go hand in hand."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkloSCvFlLo

Within 10-15W of Tour de France winning level... must mean he can podium? Let the hype commence. This is like 2011 all over again.

10-15 to little, which is already a lot at top level. But the problem with Froome is and will be that he will only be able to use his wattages on the first part of the climb. In addition, he is already an elderly rider who has already missed almost three seasons at the highest level. I can see him lasting one or two stages in the low mountain ranges for a while. But on a succession of tougher climbs it will be blown away. I don't even see him making it to the top 30 in general.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He is 10-15 Watts down on his goal level, but that was for a single twenty-minute effort.
What about spending hours in the saddle climbing multiple mountains day after day at TourdeFrance pace?
Compared to where he's been 10-15 Watts off his traditional level seems to encourage Froome, but that is a big drop off at WT level, where a small % advantage can be exploited into big time gaps.
He is capable of finishing the tour due to his tremendous cycling stamina (maintained with 30hrs of training rides per week).
However, when the power hits the pedals he will be wanting for speed on the climbs and will be dropped.
The opening TT will give us a good indication of how efficient the legendary "big engine" is.
He needs to finish top twenty (very unlikely) for his fans to receive any encouragement whatsoever.

He is 10-15 Watts down on his goal level, but that was for a single twenty-minute effort.
What about spending hours in the saddle climbing multiple mountains day after day at TourdeFrance pace?
Compared to where he's been 10-15 Watts off his traditional level seems to encourage Froome, but that is a big drop off at WT level, where a small % advantage can be exploited into big time gaps.
He is capable of finishing the tour due to his tremendous cycling stamina (maintained with 30hrs of training rides per week).
However, when the power hits the pedals he will be wanting for speed on the climbs and will be dropped.
The opening TT will give us a good indication of how efficient the legendary "big engine" is.
He needs to finish top twenty (very unlikely) for his fans to receive any encouragement whatsoever.

This while he has performed very poorly in all past time trials.

Even on Ventoux his power was varying from 300-450W. If he can put 30s into Quintana at 400W then surely he would at least still be able to follow him at 390W. Now replace Quintana by Pogacar.

For some real numbers, based on 68kg 10W is about 0.15 W/kg. So he would be closer to 5.8 W/kg, but that's still Pogacar level. Proof: https://www.chronoswatts.com/watts/21/.

"Has Pogacar been dropped yet" will be the new "has Froome been dropped yet". :cool:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18bpG1qW4aY

• Sad
Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Froome: "I finally managed to get down to my race weight. (...) If I can trust these numbers, I guess within 10, 15 watts of where I've been previously. What was interesting this time is I went further in comparison to other tests I've done... which means I'm moving faster, moving fast uphill. That's evidence to show that losing weight and doing hill climbs go hand in hand."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkloSCvFlLo

Within 10-15W of Tour de France winning level... must mean he can podium? Let the hype commence. This is like 2011 all over again.

10-15W is not much however this is just a 20 minute effort and we don't know what he means by "previously", that could potentially mean last week or last year or his GT winning level. He still lacks most in 5 min power.

Nah, you are underestimating peak Froomey, who had great performances in that race (both mountains and TTs). Let's have fun and try to analyse their potential duel.

Ax-3-Domaines: Froomey was flying out there gapping the rest easily and was supported by super-strong Porte. Pog could have climbed that mountain very fast too, maybe even faster than Chris. I think this would be close: whoever is the weaker one would be able to hold the wheel of the stronger one. Pog gains bonus seconds at the end.

Ventoux: Froomey was very strong there dropping Quintana, who already was a great climber. Pog actually showed some weakness on the biggest climbs of his Tours so Froomey puts 30 seconds into Pog.

Mont-Saint-Michel TT: another superb performance by Froome. He puts some time on Pog again but not much (under 30 seconds I guess).

Chorges mountainous TT: Froome strong again edging Contador there but Pog is strong on this course too and puts some time into him here (but is still behind in the GC).

Semnoz: Pog has to drop a watt bomb at some point, right? And this is a perfect climb for him. He smokes the mountain achieving 1800 of VAM for half an hour, puts over a minute into ailing Froome and wins the race at the end (but by less than a minute).

Nah, you are underestimating peak Froomey, who had great performances in that race (both mountains and TTs). Let's have fun and try to analyse their potential duel.

Ax-3-Domaines: Froomey was flying out there gapping the rest easily and was supported by super-strong Porte. Pog could have climbed that mountain very fast too, maybe even faster than Chris. I think this would be close: whoever is the weaker one would be able to hold the wheel of the stronger one. Pog gains bonus seconds at the end.

Ventoux: Froomey was very strong there dropping Quintana, who already was a great climber. Pog actually showed some weakness on the biggest climbs of his Tours so Froomey puts 30 seconds into Pog.

Mont-Saint-Michel TT: another superb performance by Froome. He puts some time on Pog again but not much (under 30 seconds I guess).

Chorges mountainous TT: Froome strong again edging Contador there but Pog is strong on this course too and puts some time into him here (but is still behind in the GC).

Semnoz: Pog has to drop a watt bomb at some point, right? And this is a perfect climb for him. He smokes the mountain achieving 1800 of VAM for half an hour, puts over a minute into ailing Froome and wins the race at the end (but by less than a minute).

This has got me fired up for next week!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Krzysztof_O
Froome has struggled much more with short explosive efforts more than anything else and I doubt he even does much ITT practice so a 15km ITT will not be a good indication of much at all.
It will indicate the level of delusion being experienced by anyone thinking he'll be remotely relevant.

Still amazed that anyone would take anything he says at face value.

Reactions: gunara
It will indicate the level of delusion being experienced by anyone thinking he'll be remotely relevant.

Still amazed that anyone would take anything he says at face value.
I noticed he didn’t give an actual reference point, just “previously,” so maybe he’s giving an honest assessment of his form compared to last year, or 2020, or 2011. He doesn’t actually say compared to his Tour winning form. I’d put my money on Froome being a withholder of information and user of vague language to generate a false impression rather than an outright liar. His messaging is often so imprecise and banal that it actually doesn’t clearly state what it’s designed to create the impression of.

Reactions: FroomeWagon
I noticed he didn’t give an actual reference point, just “previously,” so maybe he’s giving an honest assessment of his form compared to last year, or 2020, or 2011. He doesn’t actually say compared to his Tour winning form. I’d put my money on Froome being a withholder of information and user of vague language to generate a false impression rather than an outright liar. His messaging is often so imprecise and banal that it actually doesn’t clearly state what it’s designed to create the impression of.
Yes, this. Not sure how it doesn’t make him a liar (for the millionth time) but yeah, he’s giving false hope to the faithful.

I would like to see him get into the top 30, maybe top 20 (but doubt it). At least he can then say he's back, but not in the sense of winning a GT. The odd stage win in the next few GT's and slight improvement in GC standing, I think would satisfy him. We all know he's never gonna win a GT, but for him and Taxus, I hope he does well and justifies his pick in the team.
I wonder how many on here would have thought he would be in this position a day after his crash.

I would like to see him get into the top 30, maybe top 20 (but doubt it). At least he can then say he's back, but not in the sense of winning a GT. The odd stage win in the next few GT's and slight improvement in GC standing, I think would satisfy him. We all know he's never gonna win a GT, but for him and Taxus, I hope he does well and justifies his pick in the team.
I wonder how many on here would have thought he would be in this position a day after his crash.
I was thinking top 30 as well but after the Dauphine I'm not convinced he will even finish the race.

Christ, if Valverde can still top 10 these races at his age then I would expect Froom to as well.
Valverde never had to recover from such a crash late in his career. Mid thirties is when GC riders generally decline if not a few years before for some re Quintana and to a lesser extent Contador. Valverde has been incredibly consistent in all forms of racing and luckier than many with crashes, illness and injuries. I think without the crash, Froome would be matching Valverde in stage races, probably a bit better. Would have been interesting watching a fully fit Froome riding against the best of the younger riders such as Pogacar. Interestingly the biggest decline for Valverde has been his sprinting which is usually the last thing to go for older riders. He was never a great TT rider. His climbing only declined in recent times which is probably more age related.