• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 737 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Yes, but you don't go from nobody, I repeat nobody, at 23-24, to then by 28 be at the top of the cycling world. And I don't believe the accident, after 3 years, is the cause of his woefully inadequite state of form. And I'll just leave it at that.

It isn't. It's a combination of age, injury and time out. Another factor of ageing is that healing is slower.

Anyway, you keep banging on and on about his rise, but we aren't talking about that.

Professional sports careers are getting longer across the board, and cycling has always been a sport where peak ages were later than in other sports. Many sports now see world class athletes extending their careers and high levels into their mid to late thirties.

In reality I think Froome is getting dropped everywhere because he's just mentally weak.

I gave you the actual stats. Not mere generalisations.

WRT Froome's motivation. I disagree. I don't know what his contract is, but I would be surprised it is 'millions'. Remember Cavendish? He was paid peanuts last year.

The reality is most millionaire riders in their late 30s would have given up after the sort of accident Froome suffered. I don't know why he bothered. He's not going to win anything, but clearly he thinks differently.

That isn't mental weakness.

Reactions: bigcog
Professional sports careers are getting longer across the board, and cycling has always been a sport where peak ages were later than in other sports. Many sports now see world class athletes extending their careers and high levels into their mid to late thirties.

In reality I think Froome is getting dropped everywhere because he's just mentally weak.
Froome is many things, but mentally weak is not one of them.

Cian Uijtdebroeks is a fan of Froome: "Respect for his character and kindness".

"I've always been a big fan of Chris Froome," Cian Uijtdebroeks told Vive le Vélo. "He might sit on his bike a bit weird, but that man has so much character and really does everything for his sport."

"It's really sad to see him like this in the peloton now because he really is a polite and correct rider. But it's nice to see how he keeps going. He is one of the riders with the most character in the whole peloton."

Although Froome is often seen as a rider with a reserved character, Uijtdebroeks has a different view of the Brit.

"I have already spoken to him during a stage and he is really very friendly and sweet. I remember when we were riding in the peloton and he wanted to ride to his team so he had to pass me. Instead of just passing me or giving me a nudge, he asked very politely if he could pass me. I thought that was great."

https://sporza.be/nl/2022/07/09/cia...jn-karakter-en-vriendelijkheid~1657356706522/

TRENDING THREADS