• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 756 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
thats just called the off season on the Womens world tour, there was only one womens race post Worlds in 2018, the Tour of Guangxi, which she didnt need to go to as she'd already taken the WWT leaders jersey, and none of her rivals for it raced, so didnt have to race again till Omloop Het Nieuwsblad the next year in March, week later she wins Strada Bianche
Just because her time off the bike happened to coincide with the off season, doesn't mean she didn't have an injury... I don't really see your point here. She's had multiple winters where she had to recover from fractures. Maybe not as serious as Chris Froome's, although there were several career threatening injuries as well. And since when is this a competition anyway.

Reactions: IndianCyclist
Just because her time off the bike happened to coincide with the off season, doesn't mean she didn't have an injury... I don't really see your point here. She's had multiple winters where she had to recover from fractures. Maybe not as serious as Chris Froome's, although there were several career threatening injuries as well. And since when is this a competition anyway.

Bonimenier raised the point that AvV was out for 5 months after the Worlds in Innsbruck to recover from injury, to counter the claim that she hasnt ever been out for more than a few weeks after a crash.

I was pointing out that 5months coincided with a period where there were no races she needed to ride, so we dont know what her recovery period actually was from injury in that instance, it could have been 5months, it could have been 5 days, she doesnt go around posting on social media pictures of her riding off season,or uploading rides to strava, she just quietly gets on with it, so we dont know what the recovery period was, all we know is once racing commenced again she was strong enough when she came back she podium'd her first race and won the next which was the first WWT race of the next season, so she wasnt off the bike for 5 whole months I guarantee you that much.

ultimately the point Im making is you cant use AvV to compare with Froome, they have vastly different race calendars and demands on them, and vastly different fields of riders to compete against, even before you attempt to compare the physiological recovery rates and their injuries which are different, she maybe a complete outlier.

Froome cant come back and be as good as he was, because you cant ride the mens calendar against the strongest male riders and not be 100% and he probably wont ever be 100% again, its like every time van der Poels back twinges, he basically cant compete against van Aert, only a fully fit van der Poel can beat a fully fit van Aert, if van Aert wasnt there though a 90% van der Poel would win against most other riders.

and AvV raced the Imola worlds with a broken wrist, when I broke my wrist I couldnt even hold the handle bars properly for months, and she finished 2nd, she raced the Wollongong worlds with fractured elbow and won, she may simply be able to do that because the womens peloton isnt as strong in depth as the mens.

Bonimenier raised the point that AvV was out for 5 months after the Worlds in Innsbruck to recover from injury, to counter the claim that she hasnt ever been out for more than a few weeks after a crash.

I was pointing out that 5months coincided with a period where there were no races she needed to ride, so we dont know what her recovery period actually was from injury in that instance, it could have been 5months, it could have been 5 days, she doesnt go around posting on social media pictures of her riding off season,or uploading rides to strava, she just quietly gets on with it, so we dont know what the recovery period was, all we know is once racing commenced again she was strong enough when she came back she podium'd her first race and won the next which was the first WWT race of the next season, so she wasnt off the bike for 5 whole months I guarantee you that much.

ultimately the point Im making is you cant use AvV to compare with Froome, they have vastly different race calendars and demands on them, and vastly different fields of riders to compete against, even before you attempt to compare the physiological recovery rates and their injuries which are different, she maybe a complete outlier.

Froome cant come back and be as good as he was, because you cant ride the mens calendar against the strongest male riders and not be 100% and he probably wont ever be 100% again, its like every time van der Poels back twinges, he basically cant compete against van Aert, only a fully fit van der Poel can beat a fully fit van Aert, if van Aert wasnt there though a 90% van der Poel would win against most other riders.

and AvV raced the Imola worlds with a broken wrist, when I broke my wrist I couldnt even hold the handle bars properly for months, and she finished 2nd, she raced the Wollongong worlds with fractured elbow and won, she may simply be able to do that because the womens peloton isnt as strong in depth as the mens.
Doubtless as to the last statement, but Froome in the wake of his sambuterol case, even before the accident (can you imagine the French press and the mass media had he won the 2019 Tour without the crash), was in a precarious position. And then after the accident and having left Sky-Ineos, suddenly he want back to his anonymous state. Very odd indeed, such that one unavoidably thinks badly of the entire affair. But, as is said, it's not nice to think badly, but sometimes thinking badly you hit the mark.

Chris Froome fans may have been looking forward to him being competitive at the upcoming Tour Down Under.
However, the man himself says a second bout of Covid before Christmas has ruled this out!
C'mon Chris, when are you going to start delivering on all the promises you make every year?
It’s weird how much bad luck he’s had in recent years. Without it, I don’t think he would still be kicking butt. Youngsters are getting too good. But man his setbacks haven’t helped….

Reactions: Sandisfan
When Froome joined Israel-Premier Tech in 2021, details on the length of his contract were not revealed but team owner Sylvan Adams suggested Froome would end his career with the team.
Adams has said Froome has a rolling contract, while Cyclingnews understands Froome inked a five-year deal, that will run until the end of 2025 when Froome will be more than 40.

Sounds like Froome might be racing for another 3 years after this one. I wonder if each year on that contract is for $5M?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no...oome-as-he-kicks-off-2023-at-tour-down-under/

Apparently, he wants to ride the World Championships, in Rwanda! Dude... you gotta be selected first. The UK isn't exactly short on talented riders. They're not gonna need selecting a 40-year-old whose glory days are long over.
The problem is, at this point in his career it's gotten hard to tell what the genuine ambitions are and what is the usual bluster coming from post-injury Froome about his level, getting back to his best and so on.

If he genuinely wants to ride the World Championships in Rwanda and feels that ending his career there, it being the first UCI Road Worlds in Africa, would be a good swansong for him and so wants to ride on to that end, then good on him, fair play to him and I wish him the best in achieving that. I do wonder if, in order to ride it, he may need to revert if that is possible to representing Kenya as he did back at the start of his career because of the depth of the British talent pool at this stage meaning that unless he drastically improves on where he has been in the last few seasons he would be being carried as nothing more than a charity case. However, obviously if he does represent Kenya, he would need to qualify individually; if CN are right and he's still at Israel-PT (or whatever sponsors may be on board by then), the team helping get 39-year-old Kenyan-representing Froome the qualification points necessary to have his career end at least where, if not how, he wants might become an interesting subplot to the year's racing - but as that would also be the third year of the UCI's division/points cycle, it may also become a case where Adams has to choose between the pursuit of long term stability for his team and the romanticism of helping Froome go out on his own terms.

The problem is, at this point in his career it's gotten hard to tell what the genuine ambitions are and what is the usual bluster coming from post-injury Froome about his level, getting back to his best and so on.

If he genuinely wants to ride the World Championships in Rwanda and feels that ending his career there, it being the first UCI Road Worlds in Africa, would be a good swansong for him and so wants to ride on to that end, then good on him, fair play to him and I wish him the best in achieving that. I do wonder if, in order to ride it, he may need to revert if that is possible to representing Kenya as he did back at the start of his career because of the depth of the British talent pool at this stage meaning that unless he drastically improves on where he has been in the last few seasons he would be being carried as nothing more than a charity case. However, obviously if he does represent Kenya, he would need to qualify individually; if CN are right and he's still at Israel-PT (or whatever sponsors may be on board by then), the team helping get 39-year-old Kenyan-representing Froome the qualification points necessary to have his career end at least where, if not how, he wants might become an interesting subplot to the year's racing - but as that would also be the third year of the UCI's division/points cycle, it may also become a case where Adams has to choose between the pursuit of long term stability for his team and the romanticism of helping Froome go out on his own terms.

The British team have a habit of tanking Worlds and select horrible teams anyway. In 2020, for example, the team consisted of Carthy, Hayter, Pidcock, Knox, Rowe and Shaw...

• Wow
Apparently, he wants to ride the World Championships, in Rwanda! Dude... you gotta be selected first. The UK isn't exactly short on talented riders. They're not gonna need selecting a 40-year-old whose glory days are long over.
Jeez he’s so full of himself.

what exactly did he say? There's nothing at all about the World Championships in the linked article.

Because their season would already be a success with a TDU win, while Chris has his eyes on something much bigger, like doing multiple breakaways in TdF stages.
125 riders' seasons would be a success with a TDU prologue win? I think we can safely say no. 120 of those riders had no chance at a win, and there's no way a majority of them would have a season made with a TDU prologue win.

Look, I get that he likely didn't go full on and there was heavy rain. But 126 out of 140 or whatever...there's no way that's about rain. If he soft-pedaled it, why would we assume others didn't? Come on folks.

125 riders' seasons would be a success with a TDU prologue win? I think we can safely say no. 120 of those riders had no chance at a win, and there's no way a majority of them would have a season made with a TDU prologue win.

Look, I get that he likely didn't go full on and there was heavy rain. But 126 out of 140 or whatever...there's no way that's about rain. If he soft-pedaled it, why would we assume others didn't? Come on folks.

In Romandie he was 10th last in the prologue, this is a significant improvement.

Maybe he thought he was doing a recon, then at the end he realised it was the actual race and thought, oh f**k! He is getting on a bit now and his brain may not be his best organ at the moment. lol

TRENDING THREADS