• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 775 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
I'd say he looks about the same. Losing 3:36 to the winner instead of 3:58 is not much of an improvement.
I am not sure but maybe this year the race had more level. Carapaz is a great leader. And the rain was short but heavy, and he hate rain. He was quite similar to last year, worse position, but he passed more people at the end....he did a great finish, and less time to the winer. If this is his level, noch much to say, a man to work for his team, but if he continue progressing in June he could be a great surprise for lot of people

Last edited:
Mikel Bizkarra is a decent climber that use to show a similar level all year. He is a good thermometer to measure where is Froome. At Rwanda Mikel was better than him (acording overall standing clearly better), and now he was a little bit worse, so Froome is clearly better.

The unknow is how much he can progress in June, and acording to we could especulate his role at Tour de France. Burt looking today that Fulgsang is not super, maybe he could have people to work for him in July. But for that he has to show a better level. No so big as some people think, becouse he has finisedh quite well today. The problem is that moment in with race start to be hard (last year Pinot rythm, today Padum one) that he prefer to go on at his pace, and to keep that high spin (in spanish we say molinillo) when he is at about 150 bpm and he could keep that moment 160 (his maximum is 172), instead to keep the pace and to be more time with draft and finishing better even if that means to be worse at the end...it is always better to be in a group of 20 than alone...But he even sometimes in a group keep one meter to the next wheel, when the rest are well closed....

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
I just watch a little tha previous year and Froome was using about 80 spin on the climbs, or maybe less, and this year about 100. I think it has some meaning. sometimes he dproped a little and he just has to change to a harder sping and take the previous wheel, but he didnt...so, if he didnt take wheel properly, he drops finally, it is normal.
Whenever I get dropped by someone it's also just because I can't be bothered to follow the wheels in front of me.

Whenever I get dropped by someone it's also just because I can't be bothered to follow the wheels in front of me.

The very first rider who I watched when I was a kid 'get dropped' because he couldn't be bothered to follow wheels in front of him was Indurain at Les Arcs in 1996. He was saving his legs for the Atlanta Olympic games. And his retirement as well.

I think it's sad when sportsmen retire with tired legs. I think Froome agrees.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Not in his case. At least not days like today. Most of pros are very atentives to be very close to the wheels...No Froome.
It looks like if he is more attentive to dont pass any number...of to keep his spin....Sometimes he is at 1 or 2 meters during 1 km in a climb...finally droped, but he doesnt lose a lot, Except the days he was working, he doenst mind his position and he just let it go...it is quite strange and interesting for me..Becouse if he improve just a little and he doent drop at the begining of the last climb he will give a big step in term of classifica, and he will be close to the best.

I mean most of riders give a little bit more to keep a group the maximun, becpouse that means more time drafting wheels, but it looks like if he was riding alone, at his own...But it was similar when he won races in the sky train.,, sometimes he lost the wheel of his team mates or even droped, and later won the race.

Not in his case. At least not days like today. Most of pros are very atentives to be very close to the wheels...No Froome.
It looks like if he is more attentive to dont pass any number...of to keep his spin....Sometimes he is at 1 or 2 meters during 1 km in a climb...finally droped, but he doesnt lose a lot, Except the days he was working, he doenst mind his position and he just let it go...it is quite strange and interesting for me..Becouse if he improve just a little and he doent drop at the begining of the last climb he will give a big step in term of classifica, and he will be close to the best.

I mean most of riders give a little bit more to keep a group the maximun, becpouse that means more time drafting wheels, but it looks like if he was riding alone, at his own...But it was similar when he won races in the sky train.,, sometimes he lost the wheel of his team mates or even droped, and later won the race.
Maybe just a training effort for froome today? Part of training camp before duapine or Suisse and then le tdf?

I was watching the race live.
Chris Froome, I felt, was struggling at points to hold the wheel in front as he swung around the rear of the peloton in the final 30KM.
The Israel riders did not ride as a real team in the final leading group, even though there was three of them, because Froome could not contribute to the joint effort and was just hanging on.
Remarkably he caught up with some of those leading riders after being dropped off as baggage at the start of the climb and surprisingly surpassed his team leader Fuglsang.
However, let's be honest. He was still over three minutes slower than the best on that final climb.
Unfortunately, still way off the pace.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dualipa?, Good vocals and catchy but slightly bland music. I'm not sure about her stage prescence. She dances and doesnt look like she want to be there, i feel sorry for her.
anyway. Proof that posh and pretty Albanian girls can go far in this world. Maybe one day I will make music with her
I didn't know you made your own music. Is this your Soundcloud page by any chance?

View: https://soundcloud.com/fausto-m-994509473