• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 831 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
The first video, is a good example of how is Froome as rider. That day Contador took time, but if the climb would have been 1 Km longer, it wopuld have been the opositte, IMO, and that finaly ocurred next day.

His battle with Alberto were very interesting, becouse Contador is the opossite, He can jump at the begining of a a climb easy, take lot of time in just 1 km, but as kms are passing he is going down, slowly, but down.

Froome need some time, specially if the race werent very selective before thjat point or the weather is not hot..how to say, to warm up, and once he is hot he is a destroyer...for that reason sometimes now he drop in an intermediate climb, but he recover, catch the peloton, made his work and lose some minutes at the end...

What people see??: ou, Froome droped the second climb, at 60 km to the line, which 70 riders remaining...what a bad rider who is trolling IPT.

OK but that Froome of Hazallanas, a Froome who beated Contador, droped of his own team, droped of about 20 riders. so, if froome is in a race today helping the team, with his objetives far, and he drop of a group of 70, doenst mean that he is one of the weakers of the race, he is no so far as people could thing that his best moments (of course is quite far). Froome with a little bit more shape, didnt drop that climb, and at the end has the power to make a good job or to estay close to the best, has we saw for instance at Mercan Tour classic

I hope people understad what I meant with my poor english...Not easy for me...

Cheers!

The first video, is a good example of how is Froome as rider. That day Contador took time, but if the climb would have been 1 Km longer, it wopuld have been the opositte, IMO, and that finaly ocurred next day.

His battle with Alberto were very interesting, becouse Contador is the opossite, He can jump at the begining of a a climb easy, take lot of time in just 1 km, but as kms are passing he is going down, slowly, but down.

Froome need some time, specially if the race werent very selective before thjat point or the weather is not hot..how to say, to warm up, and once he is hot he is a destroyer...for that reason sometimes now he drop in an intermediate climb, but he recover, catch the peloton, made his work and lose some minutes at the end...

What people see??: ou, Froome droped the second climb, at 60 km to the line, which 70 riders remaining...what a bad rider who is trolling IPT.

OK but that Froome of Hazallanas, a Froome who beated Contador, droped of his own team, droped of about 20 riders. so, if froome is in a race today helping the team, with his objetives far, and he drop of a group of 70, doenst mean that he is one of the weakers of the race, he is no so far as people could thing that his best moments (of course is quite far). Froome with a little bit more shape, didnt drop that climb, and at the end has the power to make a good job or to estay close to the best, has we saw for instance at Mercan Tour classic

I hope people understad what I meant with my poor english...Not easy for me...

Cheers!
Even with Contador retirement you can't stop talking about him. Contador won 9 GT's, don't speak like he was a murito type of rider that couldn't handle the high and long climbs.

Last edited:
Well, Contador said his 2014 form approaching the Tour was at his best.
I remember this claim. But it was really just PR talk for his fans and no objective data to support it.

I came to respect Contador more after his ban because that is when he became more daring and risk taking. Before the ban he definitely seemed to have a power advantage. But 2009 TdF was definitely his peak. He even had to beat his own team who were riding for Lance. He also beat Cancellara in the Annecy TT.

The 2010 TdF battle with Andy seemed slow motion by comparison - watch the stage to Col du Tourmalet. Why this was the case can’t be discussed here.

Anyway if there is a thread in the appropriate forum we could discuss further there ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
H
I remember this claim. But it was really just PR talk for his fans and no objective data to support it.

I came to respect Contador more after his ban because that is when he became more daring and risk taking. Before the ban he definitely seemed to have a power advantage. But 2009 TdF was definitely his peak. He even had to beat his own team who were riding for Lance. He also beat Cancellara in the Annecy TT.

The 2010 TdF battle with Andy seemed slow motion by comparison - watch the stage to Col du Tourmalet. Why this was the case can’t be discussed here.

Anyway if there is a thread in the appropriate forum we could discuss further there ;)
He crushed TA and, after clinging to Froome's wheel on the first hill finish in the Dauphine, was super strong. He was potentially at his best. Then in the Tour, before he wrecked his knee, was showing signs of brilliance. No, Contador 2014 was the real deal, as the Vuelta ultimately demonstrated and I believe he would have won that Tour against Froome and Nibali.