• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Horner diagnosed with Blood clot

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad Chris is "ok" and out of the hospital, I hope he gets well soon.

I didnt know flying such long distances has an influence on blood clotting ( I dont know if the sentence is completely correct, but I hope the message gets conveyed to you properly :eek:).

Though I didnt mean to create this thread to kick Chris when he was down I guess it wasnt really "correct" to open the thread. :)

BillytheKid said:
Discussions are about the weather. Debate is a better word choice for what goes on here, and for that you might come to the table with a few facts. Heck, cycling is suspicious. Sport is suspicious. You could be considered suspicious. I could be or am considered suspicious.

In my opinion a lot what is said here is speculative. The question is how much so. Yes EPO could contribute to a clot, but so do many factors that fit what happened to Horner. We also forget that he hit the deck a couple of times before the big one. Wounds, rash or bruising, stimulate platelet activity…

I find it hard to swallow stuff like the Alpe vs. Sierra Road comparison. There is a big difference between 5ks and 14Ks at about the same grade. Yet, someone tries to say they're the same and when you call them on it they, or others say it does not matter?

Irish great Sean Kelly won the Giro di Lombardia at the age of 37. 2nd at Worlds, at the age of 35. Ironically Horner finished seventh at Lombardia at the same age (37) and he was shagging bottles!

But seventh places don't get noticed that much.

There's much writing off the cuff here. Horner has had more than "few" fine performances and not just late in his career. Too bad he had to ride his best years at home.
I think you are right. Still high numbers but not correct to compare the two climbs.

The way I see it is the fact that He once was a critic of the Hog and the Texan and he later became a member of his team in his late years. That did not help his cause and actually posters by this sole fact started speculation. To make matters worse he won races and was enjoying some of his best form of his life. I actually knew Horner before he joined the Hog team and actually thought that he was a very huge talent, but did not know his limits on a pro-tour peloton. That's where the speculation started.

Fair or not is something that people has to live with.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
It's never a bad time to accuse someone of doping in the clinic.

While that's the standard protocol the whole deal was: he's recovering from a crash so is his lung clot an indication of his embracement of all things Lance? The leap of discussion was probably more the problem.

DoggedWarrior

BANNED
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Irish great Sean kelly won the Giro di Lombardia at the age of 37. 2nd at Worlds, at the age of 35 Ironically Horner finished seventh at Lombardia at the same age (37) and he was shagging bottles!

Just for the Record Sean Kelly's World Championship Results are :

1982 - 3rd - aged 26
1986 - 5th - aged 30
1987 - 5th - aged 31
1989 - 3rd - aged 33
1990 - 5th - aged 34

And as already pointed out by an above poster. Sean Kelly was 35 when he won the Giro di Lombardia on October 19th 1991. 35 Years 148 days to be exact.

And just for the record Chris Horner was not 37 years of age when he finished in 7th position at the Giro di Lombardia, which took place on October 18th 2008. Won by Damiano Cunego.
He was 36 years of age. Just 5 days shy of his 37th birthday. Chris Horner's birth date is October 23rd 1971.

Get well soon Chris.

A

Anonymous

BillytheKid said:
Irish great Sean Kelly won the Giro di Lombardia at the age of 37. 2nd at Worlds, at the age of 35. Ironically Horner finished seventh at Lombardia at the same age (37) and he was shagging bottles!

Kelly would have been 34 and 36 respectfully. Horner, actually would have just turned 38.

Get well soon Chris![/QUOTE]

the difference is, Kelly had consistently shown that level of performance through the whole of his career (and of course was doping). Horner has suddenly started showing these levels of performance as he gets older.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Sean Kelly was born in May 56, making him 35 when he won the 91 Lombardia and 33 in Chambery.

Baronchelli was 33 and Coppi 35 when they won Lombardia, Joop Zoetemelk won the Worlds in 1985 aged 38. So to compare Horner's late results with Kelly is both misleading as well as irrelevant.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Special_oz_ed said:
I think they just MRI'd Horner's head, not his whole body which would be very time-consuming (considering a head MRI takes a while - I've had one!).

MR would never be used for imaging of orthopaedic injuries like Horner's (they are used in acute settings like Scaphoid fractures and femoral head injuries...)

MRA/MRV of the pulmonary arteries is still at the research level given the hyperdynamic state of the great vessels and heart. He would NOT have had an MR of the pulm arteries.

For the record, thrombus in the pelvis and lower leg primarily migrate to the Right side of heart and pulmonary arteries. They cannot migrate to the brain unless the patient has a right to left shunt/septal defect or some sort of AVF in the lungs. A quote was laid down by Mr. Friedman ( in one of Dr. Stoller's posts) saying that there are 3 targets for lower leg thrombi-incorrect.

I hope Horner does well. The facts are the facts though. Orthopaedic injuries can cause thrombi in everyone. But, with most things in medicine you must respect the multiple hit hypothesis and add them all up: Trauma, immobilization(splint, air flight) and EPO (do people really think he's not on it?), all ADD to the risk of pulm thromboembolic dz.

NW

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Kelly would have been 34 and 36 respectfully. Horner, actually would have just turned 38.

Get well soon Chris!

the difference is, Kelly had consistently shown that level of performance through the whole of his career (and of course was doping). Horner has suddenly started showing these levels of performance as he gets older.[/QUOTE]

Watching both Horner and all of the Montgomery/Subaru, 7-11, Motorola, USPS, Disco, RS kids grow up I can say one thing: Horner was a superior natural talent to all of them. As we've noted before he was a financial victim of the politics that Lance used to his advantage. When Chris needed money and was willing to do the bidding of LA and Johann; he got a well-paying job. Unless you win the World's at an early age you don't get the sort of latitude we all expect is fair from any DS on any big team. You do what you are told.

All things being equal in the peloton's preparation it Horner's results aren't surprising. I didn't say they were the product of Bend's fine beer products and thin air but he has the ability.

TRENDING THREADS