• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Horner is torching knuckleheads and murdering everyone's name

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The analysis is fine, but the delivery is exhausting. Somehow he thinks its best to put all 15 minutes into one long sentence where he is not allowed to make a pause or change the tempo, volume or intonation. I understand that he tries to be energetic as a contrast to many sleepy commentators in the sport, but it has the same effect on me.

my favorite Horner story wasn't actually from him, it was from an interview with the former assistant DS for Mercury Viatel (Whit Yost) who was hired as assistant DS at the age of 24, and recounted Horner teaching him how to do a proper sticky bottle

I remember Chris Horner, Gord Fraser, Henk Vogels literally sort of teaching me on the job. You know, Horner coming back for a bottle and saying, “No, no, no – put your elbow here. Hit the accelerator just as I’m about to take it. Now I’m going to hold on…” Sort of coaching me through it as we went.

Oh man, Horner with his worst take ever today. Saying Wout has better career palmares than TOM BOONEN lol

His love for Wout is boundless!

Says Boonen's 7 wins in PR & Flanders are below Wout's TDF performance!!! what the *** man.

How can he be so delusional? I like his vids, even tactic and sprint breakdowns but he has lost it.
I think he's fired up for no reason because I think he misquotes Boonen- Boonen said Wouts year was only missing a monument, but Chris claims it as him saying 'only a monument matters'.

Then what is it? Fanboyism?

Haha sorry, I thought you meant Van Aert didn't have the cultural background which resulted in him only having won one monument :tearsofjoy:

I think Wout is a special case, though. He might only have one major win but his presence, quality, aura and how he is regarded inside the peloton point to him being a truly special rider. Being able to toy with the Tour peloton year after year after year is just not something you usually see (Sagan springs to mind but ecen he was less astonishing than Van Aert). I think it's a bit easy for people who don't really like Wout to stare themselves blind at that 1 next to his major wins.

Oh man, Horner with his worst take ever today. Saying Wout has better career palmares than TOM BOONEN lol

His love for Wout is boundless!

Says Boonen's 7 wins in PR & Flanders are below Wout's TDF performance!!! what the *** man.

How can he be so delusional? I like his vids, even tactic and sprint breakdowns but he has lost it.
I think he's fired up for no reason because I think he misquotes Boonen- Boonen said Wouts year was only missing a monument, but Chris claims it as him saying 'only a monument matters'.
Horner has proven himself to be an idiot on multiple occasions and you can listen to stories of how he conducted himself as a rider, he is not a good person.

Boonen won 7 cobbled monuments and a world championships road race. He repeatedly won the biggest races in the sport and proved his class over and over.

He also has as many TDF green jerseys as Wout,

It's almost as bad as saying Pozzato palmares are better than Boonen. Laughable that this guy has a platform.

Wout is Belgian as well. Without a RVV he is not even the best Belgian currently active, let alone better than the likes of Boonen and Gilbert.

Reactions: Carols
Haha sorry, I thought you meant Van Aert didn't have the cultural background which resulted in him only having won one monument :tearsofjoy:

I think Wout is a special case, though. He might only have one major win but his presence, quality, aura and how he is regarded inside the peloton point to him being a truly special rider. Being able to toy with the Tour peloton year after year after year is just not something you usually see (Sagan springs to mind but ecen he was less astonishing than Van Aert). I think it's a bit easy for people who don't really like Wout to stare themselves blind at that 1 next to his major wins.

No problem, I should have been more explicit about who I was talking.

Van Aert's Tour was definitely especial this year, green jersey, three stages, a few days in yellow and being a great teammate was more impressive than any that Sagan did and I think that contributes for the presence and aura that he has inside the peloton ad his status as one of the best riders around. However the Tour is not the only race in the calendar and for a great one-day racer like Van Aert having just a monument and no World/Olympic titles is going to impact the analysis that one make of his career unless that person is biased and only cares about GTs like Horner.

I hope that next year he doesn't have any illnesses during the spring like this year because with the team that Jumbo has now built for the cobbled classics, there is no excuse anymore not to win RVV or PR.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I have mixed feelings about him. On the one hand, he clearly has an inside take and the experience of a real pro. On the other hand, I'm at odds with some (important conclusions) of his analyses, simply because they are wildly misapprehended. How can you be so schooled to then be so off? And then there is the patently stupid take on why Tour 2006 stage 17 "changed" cycling. It was embarassing (for him) to watch.

It's funny how most if not all of what Horner is doing is about the free market and what is ( or isn't) available. In the US there is very very little interest in bike racing of any kind. Horner gives his perspective. The other options are little more scattered.. The Move which typically features Armstrong and Hindcappie spends significant time talking about the good old days and doesn't cover the quantity of races that Horner does..
other English speaking content is there but it's not for everyone.. GCN is good and very neutral.. Couple of clods from Australia claimed pros with comments about kits and how pretty they are or are not.. Bringing up @$2500 power meter ad on malfunctioning and cover World Championship TT win in the same podcast, asking the question.. " is winning the World Championship really a big deal? " * no I am not making that up..
With how little dedicated pro bike racing coverage that's available in English and stays current, looks like there is room for everyone and more... From the US the most reliable 2 for print versions are Velonews and Cycling News and VN has continued to dilute race coverage and go for tech sales.. CN has similar stuff.. But it's broken out into something you need to click on.. So if you don't want to read a bib shorts review you have an option.. I seldom go to GCN for anything about racing because they are most often talking about tech..how something is made..old vs new..ect..
YouTube has it both ways.. Horner getting paid from views and also ads coming on..I wish there was something cheap (cheaper) available for just racing.. Years ago I remember thinking how SteephillTV would be awesome as an email to my phone or tablet.. Here's today's results.. Some links to video if available.. Don't like thecyclingdane, Logic Cycling has good stuff.. and there is a channel that has nothing to do with racing, were a skinny guy builds the cheapest Chinese options of everything.. Wheels, frames,groups, bars,etc and most of the comments are how surprised he is that it was ok,didn't break, or it broke but no serious injury.. So when I say I want to watch Mens World Road Race Championship from Australia.. The program at YouTube also thinks that I might like to know about a $300 rival to Shimano 105 or if $200 dollar wheels are the same as $2000 dollar wheels.. And that's another downside to Butterfly effect.. YouTube thinks I want advice from a vegetarian guy from Australia w a shapely girlfriend.. I wonder if the people I pay for bike racing content are selling me to the Chinese frame people?.. I don't want or will never own a Winspace frame but man I know everything about them!! And the Habani? Guy who says all wheels and frames are garbage and he would do it differently.. Also gets on my auto play list from watching racing.. and by the way does everyone have a problem with their bottom bracket? That guy's videos has me feeling lucky!!
And just so others know.. Horner is one of the elite.. Bob Roll, Christian Vandevelde, and Chris Horner do all our stuff.. Giro,TDF,Vuelta..and anything else covered.. sometimes they leave Horner off..and I leave you with American bike racing history..

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QxSkPlflpE

Horner has proven himself to be an idiot on multiple occasions and you can listen to stories of how he conducted himself as a rider, he is not a good person.

Boonen won 7 cobbled monuments and a world championships road race. He repeatedly won the biggest races in the sport and proved his class over and over.

He also has as many TDF green jerseys as Wout,

It's almost as bad as saying Pozzato palmares are better than Boonen. Laughable that this guy has a platform.

Wout is Belgian as well. Without a RVV he is not even the best Belgian currently active, let alone better than the likes of Boonen and Gilbert.
I like his tactical breakdowns and him being a really big fish in a small pool on the US-domestic scene for all those years and always being a marked man has really shaped his mind for racing tactics.

That said, the recent statement shows that his understanding of cycling culture and the importance of certain races is on the level of a Tour-centric casual fan. We're talking about the guy who went to McDonalds for dinner during that Vuelta every single day, so I'm not gonna call him cultured in any shape of form...

That said, worse people are actually still working in the sport and unlike many his racing tactics are actually on point. I'm kinda surprised that he hasn't landed a gig as a DS yet, is he that unpleasant to work with?

I like his tactical breakdowns and him being a really big fish in a small pool on the US-domestic scene for all those years and always being a marked man has really shaped his mind for racing tactics.

That said, the recent statement shows that his understanding of cycling culture and the importance of certain races is on the level of a Tour-centric casual fan. We're talking about the guy who went to McDonalds for dinner during that Vuelta every single day, so I'm not gonna call him cultured in any shape of form...

That said, worse people are actually still working in the sport and unlike many his racing tactics are actually on point. I'm kinda surprised that he hasn't landed a gig as a DS yet, is he that unpleasant to work with?
I don’t know, based on his personality I wouldn’t be shocked if he just rejected the idea of wanting to be a DS to spend more time with his family.

I don’t know, based on his personality I wouldn’t be shocked if he just rejected the idea of wanting to be a DS to spend more time with his family.
Yeah, no longer having to travel all around the world is probably a big plus for an American cyclist with a big family. I guess his gig as a commentator also pays nice and combined with his YT channel and some sponsors he's probably making a decent amount of money for the amount of work that he has to put into it.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS