• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Christchurch Earthquake

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
10:51am (AEDT) an eartquake hit Christchurch (NZ) which was of a 6.3 magnitude and the effect of the earthquake was worsened by the fact that the earthquake was closer to the earth's surface than most earthquakes.

65 people are confirmed dead but many more are missing.:(

Best of luck to the Christchurch people

May 6, 2009
Visit site
6.3-magnitude earthquake hits Christchurch

Scores Killed in New Zealand Earthquake

:(

So far at least 65 people are dead. The difference between this one and the one in September is that this one today hit at a depth of 5km, and the September one at a depth of 33km, and today's quake hit 10km south of Christchurch. Also what makes it worse is that at 12.51pm (NZ time), where people are at work, people almost certainly in spire of Christchurch Cathedral.

RIP.

182953_499709996852_99579941852_6454408_8173526_n.jpg

The Christchurch Cathedral, one of the biggest tourist attractions in Christchurch.

163670-new-zealand-earthquake.jpg

(This is a cycling forum after all :D)

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, we have had a very rough day.

Our street was relatively unscathed in the sept 4th 7.1, but we have burst sewage and water mains and liquefaction all over the place this time.

However, this is nothing compared with the people still trapped in buildings, or now grieving for family members. Our house is still safe and sound, so if anyone knows someone stuck at the welfare centers or camping in Hagley park in the rain, we do have a couch to surf. We are about 30 walk from town, just pm me. We have power back on.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Thanks guys, we have had a very rough day.

Our street was relatively unscathed in the sept 4th 7.1, but we have burst sewage and water mains and liquefaction all over the place this time.

However, this is nothing compared with the people still trapped in buildings, or now grieving for family members. Our house is still safe and sound, so if anyone knows someone stuck at the welfare centers or camping in Hagley park in the rain, we do have a couch to surf. We are about 30 walk from town, just pm me. We have power back on.

Hat's off, that is true NZ spirit

Our thoughts from OZ are with all in Christchurch at the moment

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Really tragic. Wishing the best for everyone down that way.

TexPat, I understand you are across the bay but I hope you and yours are well too.

I never knew of the fault line there or of these occurrences.
Best wishes to all.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Really tragic. Wishing the best for everyone down that way.

TexPat, I understand you are across the bay but I hope you and yours are well too.

I never knew of the fault line there or of these occurrences.
Best wishes to all.

All good up here in Wellington, fortunately. We have dodged another bullet. We'll get it soon enough as the seismic experts all predict a bigger event to occur here in the near future given the nature of the fault which runs straight up the length of the South Island, under Cook Strait, through Wellington and right past my house. This morning while having coffee and reading the news I look out the window at the hills across the valley and was reminded of how those hills came to be. It is a bit scary.
Earthquakes are fascinating to me, especially since they were something I never experienced until we moved here 4 years ago. The first one I felt had a strange calming effect, but it was nothing like what the folks in Christchurch have felt in the last six months.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Terrible week for Christchurch. I'm thankful that my part of the city wasnt hit that hard. Pure luck really. Hopefully the death toll doesnt rise too much higher.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:
All good up here in Wellington, fortunately. We have dodged another bullet. We'll get it soon enough as the seismic experts all predict a bigger event to occur here in the near future given the nature of the fault which runs straight up the length of the South Island, under Cook Strait, through Wellington and right past my house. This morning while having coffee and reading the news I look out the window at the hills across the valley and was reminded of how those hills came to be. It is a bit scary.
Earthquakes are fascinating to me, especially since they were something I never experienced until we moved here 4 years ago. The first one I felt had a strange calming effect, but it was nothing like what the folks in Christchurch have felt in the last six months.

Mike, are you gonna strengthen your property and workplace in prep for a big one?

Thoughts to all in Christchurch.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Mike, are you gonna strengthen your property and workplace in prep for a big one?

Thoughts to all in Christchurch.

Yeah, I chatted with one of the boys yesterday about the need for securing movable objects...

And had a fitful night's rest last night, making a mental list of the potential hazards at the house (bikes suspended from the ceiling in the hallway leading to the kids' rooms, the nature of the construction, evacuation plans). The house is very well-designed and is reportedly one of the stronger, more resilient structures in an earthquake.
The shop is yet another concern. It has very tall ceilings with steel girders, so the risk of falling debris or collapse may be high. Thankfully, all the bikes are on the floor, and not on racks or suspended from the ceiling.
My seismologist friend has told me that construction here is actually better designed to sustain the force of an earthquake than most...
The greatest fear is for my wife who works in an older stone building in downtown Wellington on Mondays. Seeing which buildings crumbled in Christchurch is unsettling.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
whittashau said:
Terrible week for Christchurch. I'm thankful that my part of the city wasnt hit that hard. Pure luck really. Hopefully the death toll doesnt rise too much higher.

Are you one of the lucky few with water? I discombobulated a down pipe and collected rain water the first night. We have now cleaned the recycling wheelie bin out and have it under the hole in the gutter. If it rains tonight or tomorrow as forecast, we will be good for a while. Wish I had thought of that earlier.....

I wish the death toll wouldn't rise more, but I hold out little hope that it wont. I think they have been deliberately breaking the news gently. Are all your family and friends accounted for? Ours are, and our house is still ok, so we're feeling pretty lucky too.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Got family in Ch'ch, heard from them today, thankfully all safe and sound, fair bit of damage to the house, but all that matters is their okay.

My thought's have been with everyone involved and connected to this, and my condolences to all those that have lost loved ones.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
10:00 last night.
Was in the transitional phase between semi-consciousness and deep sleep when the brain wanders off into dreamland, but the body and most of its senses are still partially aware of the world around, when the rumbling started. It was like having someone grabbing me by the shoulders and waking me, shouting "Mike!, Mike!..."---which in a previous life happened frequently.
4.5 on the Richter
I got up and wandered into the living room nervously laughing. My wife was still up watching the television, and didn't seem too entertained by the movement.
Didn't get much sleep last night.

TRENDING THREADS