• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Christophe Bassons, SI Sportsman of the Year ?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I put this thread in the Clinic since it is linked to doping, albeit indirectly.

I saw mention of this in the interview with Christophe Bassons in CN that he was nominated as Sport Illustrated Sportsman of the Year for his taking an anti-doping (or as he says "anti-cheating") stand 15 years ago.

It was here on the CN forums that I first learned his story and I think it would be great if it got more mainstream exposure in America, especially since it was an American that lead the push to bully Bassons out of the TDF and that same American did get the SI Sportsman of the Year award.

It seems fitting now that Lance has been stripped of his TDF victories that Bassons may get this recognition. Even if it is not what he (Bassons) wanted, it seems a great way for the American media to make some amends and get that story out in the mainstream. Plus, it will also most likely **** Lance off.

Also, what he did does seem truly "sportsman" like. Sportsmanship has always meant how you play the game and not whether you win or "lose". (I put Lose in quotes because even to compete at such a level is a huge victory in itself, to come out of the game with one's integrity attached is perhaps the greatest victory of all).

What do others think?

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Deagol said:
I put this thread in the Clinic since it is linked to doping, albeit indirectly.

I saw mention of this in the interview with Christophe Bassons in CN that he was nominated as Sport Illustrated Sportsman of the Year for his taking an anti-doping (or as he says "anti-cheating") stand 15 years ago.

It was here on the CN forums that I first learned his story and I think it would be great if it got more mainstream exposure in America, especially since it was an American that lead the push to bully Bassons out of the TDF and that same American did get the SI Sportsman of the Year award.

It seems fitting now that Lance has been stripped of his TDF victories that Bassons may get this recognition. Even if it is not what he (Bassons) wanted, it seems a great way for the American media to make some amends and get that story out in the mainstream. Plus, it will also most likely **** Lance off.

Also, what he did does seem truly "sportsman" like. Sportsmanship has always meant how you play the game and not whether you win or "lose". (I put Lose in quotes because even to compete at such a level is a huge victory in itself, to come out of the game with one's integrity attached is perhaps the greatest victory of all).

What do others think?

I think you're on to something and think that SI should award Pharmstrong's Sportsman title from the year he won to Bassons.

:)

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Jeremiah said:
I think you're on to something and think that SI should award Pharmstrong's Sportsman title from the year he won to Bassons.

:)

I was just informed that the title got awarded to someone else (a basketball player ?)

Dissapointing, but not too suprising. I am bummed, as I think this could have focused some much needed attention on the concept of sportsmanship and less on winning.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Deagol said:
I was just informed that the title got awarded to someone else (a basketball player ?)

Dissapointing, but not too suprising. I am bummed, as I think this could have focused some much needed attention on the concept of sportsmanship and less on winning.

Yeah, LeBron but they should strip Armstrong of his title and re award. That can be done at any time, and now seems like a slow sports period. No major championships taking place as we speak....none that I know of anyway.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Mishrak said:
Just the fact that Bassons was nominated for it is significant.

agreed, would be great if his story stays on the radar and gets more exposure in mainstream American media.

I would have not known the story where it not for being in the Clinic..

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Desperate Moments said:
Sports Illustrated's editors HATE cycling and pretty much refuse to cover it in any meaningful way.

which shows exactly why I didn't pay enough attention to Sports Illustrated in the first place to know that Bassons had been passed-up for someone else.

I know I am not the majority, though...

May 19, 2012
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Bassons should get it period, but not a retracted award of a past year.

I don't disagree that he should get it period. I would say there have been a lot of winners thought who aren't memorable while awarding Armstrong's to him would be very newsworthy.. Just sayin..

Jeremiah said:
I don't disagree that he should get it period. I would say there have been a lot of winners thought who aren't memorable while awarding Armstrong's to him would be very newsworthy.. Just sayin..

Bassons should be awarded with 7 yellow jerseys.

We could do it by a vote. In which case, it would be the most fair and performance-deserved outcome in a major cycling event in a decade.

Dave.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Bassons should be awarded with 7 yellow jerseys.

That should be a new award for outspoken anti-doping advocates.

Just need to find an appropriate awarding body, or CN should award it based on voting in the clinic each year.

May 10, 2011
Visit site
There was also probably no way he was going to beat out someone like Lebron James for the actual award. Not gonna happen, and if it did, most of the American press would have no idea why. That's why his nomination is a great gesture from SI, and I appreciate it. I'm sure Bassons does too.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
What if it's found out Bassons doped later down the road, should they still refer to him as SOTY? I think not. Lets not get too ahead of ourselves here, for all we kbow Bassons could be lying. Just sayin.
But then that argument could be raised at anyone in which case why bother at all?

TRENDING THREADS