• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Christophe Bassons - suspended?!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Phew, we can all sleep soundly tonight knowing that the UCI still has a firm grasp on anti-doping.

Let's be honest, Bassons didn't deserve to be the Saintly poster boy of cyclings new age - just think of all the filth lining up to knock him of his glorious perch. Divine intervention I say, his selfless contribution to fair sport remains intact. Move along, nothing to see here.

Sarcastic Wet Trout said:
Bassons was a random selection. The testers are just drawing out of the start list. And it will blow over in about one year.

Telling response by the crowd on this forum. If Wiggins had quit a race and skipped where he was the random control you would have been screaming "Conspiracy! Proof of Doping!"

Since it was Bassons, you are screaming "Armstrong! UCI! Proof of Conspiracy!"

Just pointing out the obvious.:rolleyes:
Wiggins is not Bassons!!

ElChingon said:
Had they let us have the conspiracy thread on him it would of ended then instead it lives on forever.

Back to Bassons, I hear the UCI is cracking down on riders who quit cycling and their other lame races as it really puts cycling in a bad light. :rolleyes:

But the conspiracy thread lasted a couple of days, was debunked, the thread starter admitted that with more knowledge of the facts they wouldn't have started the thread, and that was that.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Lots of ex-pros?

Ex-pros worry less about DNF'ing than amateurs. Ex-pros have already proven themselves, and they race smarter and realize that if you're not going to win, sometimes it's better to quit and cut your losses. Amateurs tend to need to prove themselves more and view DNF'ing as failure.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
To clarify: I am significantly more inclined to believe this is a setup than Bassons is doping for a MTB race 13 years after being villified for being anti-doping.

It was a 93km MTB race:

12918507.jpg

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I am significantly more inclined to believe this is a setup than Bassons is doping for a MTB race 13 years after being villified for being anti-doping.

With all that is happening, certainly can't blame you for thinking that. There are certainly those that would wish Bassons to come off as a questionable character in the weeks/months ahead.

And, lest we forget. Hein Verbruggen (according to Kimmage): 'J'ai les moyens de vous faire un coureur positif quand je veux...'

"I have the means to make you a rider positive when I want to"

Sep 29, 2012
luckyboy said:
Can't see why this would be a set-up. That theory doesn't even make sense.

He is the original vocal Armstrong outer. He was declared clean by anyone who rode with him. He is used, constantly, as a comparison to Lance and Lance's absolute corruption.

Bassons abandoned the race, let an official know, went home. He was not winning. It was less than an hour later the winner would cross the line. The last rider probably crossed the line 2.5 hours later.

That's when the race / doping control director called Bassons.

Why was Bassons chosen?

1. Because he doped and withdrew to avoid detection?
2. Randomly?
3. Because the UCI wanted to "get" him.

I am saying the likelihood of #1 < #3.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The issue is not that he was randomly picked or not. The issue was the totally disproportionate penalty relative to the offense. And that reeks of UCI interference.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
No, the penalty is exactly as laid out in the rules with the maximum permitted reduction.

OK, thanks for pointing out. I hope to be excused for having become a little sceptical of UCI and associated sports regulators and their agenda of late.

The penalty (for a semi-retired rider who has been clean all his career and outspoken against doping all his career, riding a local mostly irrelevant MTB event, who pulls out, registers having done so, but forgets his post race control) remains disproportionate, particularly relative to "real" doping offenses.

So maybe not proof of interference, but certainly proof of regulator mismanagement in setting and applying this ruling.

Sep 29, 2012
hrotha said:
No one's saying #1 is likely. But #2 is.

It's easy to imagine the UCI being absolutely corrupt, but the conspiracy scenario requires the French Federation to be equally corrupt, and that's a stretch.

Not necessarily, no - the UCI get to pick the riders. The French Federation just process the rule violations - UCI delegate results management to the National Federation.

This way, UCI gets back at French Federation (if they don't sanction him, they look very bad, nay corrupt) and Bassons.

The head of French sport had a dig at Pat, from memory? Just recently?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-sports-minister-calls-for-uci-to-uphold-armstrong-sanction

National Anti-Doping Agencies must remain independent, says Fourneyron

The French Minister for Sport, Valérie Fourneyron, has welcomed the recent developments in the case against Lance Armstrong, making a firm call for the International Cycling Union (UCI) to uphold the sanctions imposed by USADA when it will receive the dossier from the American Anti-Doping Agency.

"The AFLD and its former president, Pierre Bordry, played a crucial part in the Armstrong affair. They resisted various pressures. Personally, I will be very vigilant that there is no political intervention in the fight against doping. The independence of AFLD has to be respected," continued the member of the social democratic party, who succeeded to a conservative predecessor in May 2012.

Effectively they kill 2 birds or at hurt 2 credibilities with one stone.

Assuming UCI did choose the riders.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
This way, UCI gets back at French Federation (if they don't sanction him, they look very bad, nay corrupt) and Bassons.

So I wonder which Australian rider will be positive next?

Verbruggen: 'J'ai les moyens de vous faire un coureur positif quand je veux...'
'I have the means to make you a rider positive when I want to'

So Levi, CVV, Danielson etc dope for years and cheat. They talK to the USADA to "get" Lance, thus only 6 month suspension.

This guy abandons, probably ****ed off he failed to do welland gassed, so just leaves, and 2hrs later they call him to say you are getting controlled? 1yr suspension.

Joke.

JRTinMA said:
Insignificant is right. The only people making a big deal out of this is the people who imagine a UCI ghost around every corner.
Maybe, but there's a certain sector of the public and media who seem to be loving this, thinking it makes Bassons a hypocrite who should have kept his mouth shut. And that's revolting.

TRENDING THREADS