• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica San Sebastián 1/8 -- 219km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
I'm pleased to hear it was with 500m to go, so, whatever GVA may say, it probably wasn't a winning attack so far from the top. I imagine the favourites would have waited later in the climb before really going all out.
Winning the 'dumb post of the week', this one.
Have you seen the Tour?

Time to thin the motorcycle field in races. Too many accidents.
This one was obviously crucial, taking out the leader and confusing everyone else.

Jagartrott said:
DFA123 said:
I'm pleased to hear it was with 500m to go, so, whatever GVA may say, it probably wasn't a winning attack so far from the top. I imagine the favourites would have waited later in the climb before really going all out.
Winning the 'dumb post of the week', this one.
Have you seen the Tour?

Time to thin the motorcycle field in races. Too many accidents.
This one was obviously crucial, taking out the leader and confusing everyone else.

The stage that he won in the tour was completely different to the finish in this race. It's ridiculous to compare the two. A rider leading the race 500m from the top of a climb that still has a prolonged section at 20% gradient has most probably attacked too early. Just like Visconti and Nieve last year. :rolleyes:

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Looks like Kreuizger and Dan Martin was on the chase. But who is the guy in the white shoes behind the other motorcyclist?

I think its simply Yates himself.
It might be possible that he actually created the decisive gap thanks to that motorbike.

Im hilariously shocked by the fact that there is about 65 motorbikes there whereas the gap was minimal.
And later, absolutely nobody among these people, to give some information to Yates about the race situation, gaps, groups and that kind of useful things.

Atrocious day for the organisation.

Steven Roots said:
Velolover2 said:
Looks like Kreuizger and Dan Martin was on the chase. But who is the guy in the white shoes behind the other motorcyclist?

I think its simply Yates himself.
It might be possible that he actually created the decisive gap thanks to that motorbike.

Im hilariously shocked by the fact that there is about 65 motorbikes there whereas the gap was minimal.
And later, absolutely nobody among these people, to give some information to Yates about the race situation, gaps, groups and that kind of useful things.

Atrocious day for the organisation.

I was at the tour of the Basque Country this year and most of the officials were legless by 3 pm.
Sweet revenge for OGE to win when their rider hit a hydrant in the road in Bilbao.

The fans up there are magnificent, they deserve better officials, but that's Spain for you all over

Eyeballs Out said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:
Valverde doesn't even get 2nd

Good. He really was riding for second there in a very irritating way.
Second was all that was available. Yates much better than him today

Don't be silly. If six of the strongest classics riders in the world had worked together, Yates would never have been able to hold his small gap after the climb. That's not to dismiss Yates' performance. He was the strongest on the climb. But getting a small gap on a climb does not equal holding off a group that strong for the seven plus kms afterwards. That they didn't catch him was purely a result of their total failure to cooperate.
If they were strong they wouldn't have been gapped. It's like expecting Rodriguez to be caught in Lombardy 2012 / 2013. Unless there's a strong headwind. Forget it

The first thing I saw when the coverage went live was Yates on the flat with about 6 bike lengths between him and the rest. That's really not unbridgeable if even 3 people worked together, and the strongest sprinter, Valverde, really should be the first to make an effort instead of expecting everyone to tow him to the line a la Gerrans

I don't want to sound prejudiced towards a certain part of a certain country, but after the hideous coverage of País Vasco, with sloppy camera work and glitched images, and now this, made even worse by the incomprehensible incompetent motards... I just don't know.

As spanish and close to the basque country, although is not my blame I have to apologize for the crapy spectacle we have done today to all the world.

I grew up waching this clasic on the road, Indurain, chiapucci, Bugno, lane, Bettini,...a big race,

Today I am sad.

I am very sorry for a rider I could talk once in his Hotel in San Sebastian, Van Avermaet, he deserved today to win.

Anyway sometimes I wonder how this things with motos dont happen more frecuently, becouse motos dont mind a lot riders and riders seems to dont min a lot motos. I would be always watching if I have a moto or car behind me and they dont do that.

“I attacked on the Bordako Tontorra. I was able to take some meters, but then I had to brake for a motorbike that had crashed. Yates went, then me and some others went behind him, but again we had to slow down for a motorbike. We know this is part of cycling, but it really doesn’t need to be this way. Yates crossed the top as the first rider and we couldn’t catch him in the descent. It was a nice job by Yates; congratulations to him,” said Joaquim Rodriguez.

"It was a steep climb and the moto driver was too close to me," Van Avermaet said. "He ran right into the back of my bike. My frame was broken and my back wheel was broken. So the race was over for me. I don't know what the moto driver was thinking. He did not say anything to me. Maybe he just gave it a little too much gas and ran into me."

"The bad thing is that I think I could have won the race," Van Avermaet said. "I had a big gap. Maybe Yates could have come back, but I think I still could have been there in the sprint. It is not every year you can win a classic like San Sebastian. So this is really disappointing.”

Hahaha I thought this race would be tomorrow. I am so happy I missed this piece of ... sorry but I just don't have any words for this. So if I understood this correctly there were hardly any live pictures, no pictures from the last climb, tons of ads because they couldn't show the race and Yates won because Van Avermaat crashed after getting hit by a motor cycle. Rofl :D :D :D :D :D

Gigs_98 said:
Hahaha I thought this race would be tomorrow. I am so happy I missed this piece of ... sorry but I just don't have any words for this. So if I understood this correctly there were hardly any live pictures, no pictures from the last climb, tons of ads because they couldn't show the race and Yates won because Van Avermaat crashed after getting hit by a motor cycle. Rofl :D :D :D :D :D

My exact experience and thoughts entirely.

Gigs_98 said:

If you had witnessed the atrocity you'd be feeling embarassed for the organisers, actually. Everything was just wrong. I do understand that it sounds so bizarre and amateurish it becomes comical, though.

Speaking of that, have they apologized for having no back up plan for live pictures and, most importantly, to Van Avermaet?

Are there also recorded images of the race on the last climb? I cannot understand why they only uploaded this incident with GVA :mad: With only these 12 seconds it is hard to interpretate how it influenced the race.

TRENDING THREADS