• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica San Sebastián 30/7 - 220.2 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What happened was the strongest guy attacked on the top of the climb and won. Not much to say.

Ofcourse you always get sandbagging in the chase unless there are teammates, or idiots like [name dutch riders]] who always chase when they are not supposed to and then lose

If Valverde/Purito wanted to win then they had to follow the attack from Mollema.

Re: Re:

VanBsr said:
TommyGun said:
rainman said:
Well deserved after his terrible luck in the Tour

?
He did not have the level to last 3 weeks, nothing to do with luck! Now, a very unlucky rider was Contador for instance.

He crashed on St. Gervais stage while he was in the wheel of Bardet. I think this is a litle bit unlucky

Granted, but he was already dwindling in the GC before the crash.
Anyway, congrats to him, I am just a little bit disappointed that Purito could not get the win.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
What happened was the strongest guy attacked on the top of the climb and won. Not much to say.

Ofcourse you always get sandbagging in the chase unless there are teammates, or idiots like [name dutch riders]] who always chase when they are not supposed to and then lose

If Valverde/Purito wanted to win then they had to follow the attack from Mollema.
Not sure that is the case. He made the best timed attack and, as usual, everyone looked around at each other to chase. Purito was the strongest on the climb, but paced himself poorly - going too early. And Gallopin looked at least as strong on the flat and the sprint, but was riding with one rider who wasn't doing any work, and another who was losing seconds everytime he went to the front.

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Mr.White said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bunch of rookies, Valverde and Purito.

You mean bunch of morons! :mad:

Completely unnecessary name calling. They only screwed themselves. Unless you bet your house on either winning, what's the big deal?

I think the deal is that they have tried this so many times and have fcked it up so much. I guess some never learn.
I think Purito knew full well what he was doing. He had no chance in a sprint against Gallopin or Valverde and no chance of getting away by himself once the climb was over. So he decided the next best thing if he couldn't win himself, was to make sure Valverde didn't win. :D

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

TommyGun said:
rainman said:
Well deserved after his terrible luck in the Tour

?
He did not have the level to last 3 weeks, nothing to do with luck! Now, a very unlucky rider was Contador for instance.
I seem to recall a crash sent him from 2nd to about 10th, no? I'd call that hard luck. But we'll agree to differ I guess.

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Mr.White said:
Valv.Piti said:

Completely unnecessary name calling. They only screwed themselves. Unless you bet your house on either winning, what's the big deal?

I think the deal is that they have tried this so many times and have fcked it up so much. I guess some never learn.

Yes.

And again, they only screwed themselves. Literally nobody but themselves suffered for it.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Mr.White said:
Valv.Piti said:

I think Purito knew full well what he was doing. He had no chance in a sprint against Gallopin or Valverde and no chance of getting away by himself once the climb was over. So he decided the next best thing if he couldn't win himself, was to make sure Valverde didn't win. :D

This. And completely understandable.

Why should he ride for a Valverde win? He is by far the slowest in a flat sprint, comparing Valverde and Gallopin. Purito had one thing in mind: riding away on the final climb. He couldn't do that. After that, his race was over basically. Mollema, Gallopin and Valverde are all faster in a flat sprint.

He's not a teammate of Bala.

BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Mr.White said:
Valv.Piti said:

Yes.

And again, they only screwed themselves. Literally nobody but themselves suffered for it.
I'm not sure that is the case here; I just don't think either of them quite had it today. Purito couldn't have won from that situation so didn't try. He gave it everything on the climb, but it wasn't enough. Valverde did work, but wasn't able to put out the same power as Gallopin, so the gap kept going out when he went to the front. He couldn't even beat Gallopin in the sprint so must have had tired legs.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
The race needs to finish on the climb for purito to win

But the Spanish duo do not look a team for the Olympics

He still can win if the finish is after the climb. Just look at Lombardia. But he needs a gap, or needs to be in a group where he is the fastest sprinter. But not in a group containing Bala and Gallopin.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
The race needs to finish on the climb for purito to win

But the Spanish duo do not look a team for the Olympics
Eh? Why would they look like a team? They were the two pre-race favourites on rival teams - they were hardly going to work well together; particularly when the race was basically over for one of them at the top of the climb. If they were in that same situation next week, I've no doubt that Purito would work; not that it would do much good probably - he just doesn't have much to offer in that kind of situation.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Samamba said:
Well done Mollema.

I feel bad for Gallopin, chasing with two of the biggest dickheads in the peloton.
Valverde put in a few pulls. Pretty shameful from Purito; although I guess he's so weak on the flat it wouldn't have made much difference. Not sure why he went so early on the climb; he should have waited for the last 500m like usual and tried to gap everyone there.
Purito knew that he'd loose a sprint against Valverde and Gallopin, finishing 3rd or 4th isn't exactly a huge deal. His only chance would have been an attack right after catching Mollema, but he was suffering on the flat. The biggest looser is Gallopin, he actually outsprinted Valverde, he should have helped Valverde a bit more.
That said BAUKE MOLLEMA, SCHALALALA!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Clasica San Sebastian just isn't all that prestigious, only 8 pages of discussion is proof of that. I even rate Strade Bianche higher and that's a 1.HC race.

TRENDING THREADS