• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica San Sebastián 30/7 - 220.2 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
BigMac said:
More youtube views = more prestigious. :Question:

Better TV ratings, more prominent on social media, better racing, unique race with beautiful scenery, better televised, better organized, better riders, etc.

Exactly what does CSS have that trumps the Strade Bianche? The fact it's older? I'm sorry, but that's a pretty shitty reason to call a race more prestigious.

No.

I admit Strade is much more interesting race lately, but that don't makes it more prestigious. Clasica is WT, Strade not, and that fact solely makes it more prestigious. Strade has very good field indeed, but Clasica has all WT teams with their best riders for this kind of race. So I think Clasica field tops Strade field. And liked it or not WorldTour is very important for all best teams and riders

What's next, Hamburg being more prestigious than Paris-Tours and Scheldeprijs?

To me there's no much difference in those three. Hamburg is WT but sometimes lacks the quality field because it overlaps with Vuelta. Schelde has deepest field perhaps, because it's in the classics season, the timing is right, but it never was a race of the highest level (Desgrange, Pernod, World Cup, World Tour). Paris-Tours has the richest history, no question about that, but exclusion from the WT has caused a lot of damage to this race and weakened the field dramatacially.
So they're pretty similar if you ask me. But if I had to choose one, it would be Hamburg as things stand right now. 5-6 years ago it would definitely been Paris-Tours

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
BigMac said:
More youtube views = more prestigious.

Okay.
it doesn't matter

all El Pisti cares about is, a dutch guy won, so it has to be talked down.

I despise Gallopin and Valverde lol, this result makes me happy. Doesn't change the fact that this isn't a great race.

PremierAndrew said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
BigMac said:

Better TV ratings, more prominent on social media, better racing, unique race with beautiful scenery, better televised, better organized, better riders, etc.

Exactly what does CSS have that trumps the Strade Bianche? The fact it's older? I'm sorry, but that's a pretty shitty reason to call a race more prestigious.

No.

I admit Strade is much more interesting race lately, but that don't makes it more prestigious. Clasica is WT, Strade not, and that fact solely makes it more prestigious. Strade has very good field indeed, but Clasica has all WT teams with their best riders for this kind of race. So I think Clasica field tops Strade field. And liked it or not WorldTour is very important for all best teams and riders

The Lichtenstein national championships road race for the under-12s is more prestigious than the S**********s.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
I only saw one thing today. Belgium will be **** in Rio

Greg did okay and Pauwels will be an okay helper. Wellens was not that far back. Gilbert faded completely though, and so did De Plus. I still can't understand why they bring such a young kid to the Olympics when he still has a long future ahead of him and both Bakelants and Hermans would have been a way better choice. De Weert continues the Carlo Bomans method of questionable selection.

Libertine Seguros said:
PremierAndrew said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
BigMac said:

No.

The Lichtenstein national championships road race for the under-12s is more prestigious than the S**********s.

Biggest one day race on the calendar for pure sprinters. Automatically means it's somewhat prestigious

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
PremierAndrew said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
BigMac said:

No.

What's your problem with the u-12 Lichtensteins? It's normally quite prestigious in my kindergarten.

HelloDolly said:
wirral said:
Will Rodriguez and Valverde be roommates at Rio?

I doubt they'll even go in the same plane

you're completely wrong. They're still very good friends.

UFX5Qhq.jpg

Billie said:
HelloDolly said:
wirral said:
Will Rodriguez and Valverde be roommates at Rio?

I doubt they'll even go in the same plane

you're completely wrong. They're still very good friends.

UFX5Qhq.jpg

Em...looks like you need a lesson in body language
Seemingly there are psychologists that can look at wedding photos and accurately predict who will get divorced....

That there photo is one of those....looks at how awkward Purito seems

There is more than just that picture. Many say that they haven't been friends since Purito left for Katusha or since Florence but they all are wrong. During TdF they were often seen drinking a coffee together in village depart.

Considering the outrage here against Gallopin for helping Thomas cause he liked him, there is little appreciation for the fact they they stay true rivals on the road despite their personal friendship.

CnphVwfXgAEcLmI.jpg

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Purito said some weeks ago he and Bala are still whatsapping each other quite a lot, and they talk a lot in the peloton too.

Don't believe those silly media stories.

HelloDolly said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lol, thats some of the most ridiculous **** I've seen here in a while Dolly.

Its my opinion and what is more i am entitled to it ..without you calling it ridiculous ****..so if you don't like it pi** off ...you say some sh** yourself

And what si more Purito is a pragmatist and will be interviewing Valverde next year ...

Yeah, but really it's a load of crap :)

El Pistolero said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
BigMac said:

No.

GP Quest-Plouay and Vattenfall Cyclassics are also WT, but that doesn't make the races even remotely prestigious. And the WT discussion is moot anyway, as Strade Bianche will be WT as well from next year on. Strade Bianche had 12 WT teams at the start-line this year. A lot of WT teams are nothing more than pack fodder anyway.

And not all the best riders are present here by the way... Nibali wasn't at the start-line and he'd be one of the top favorites here if he was in top shape. Froome is also absent here.

Omloop het Nieuwsblad is another 1.HC race that is more prestigious than the Clasica San Sebastian. Thankfully it will also be WT next year.

Lol no, the fact that it is the opening of the season (which in a way it isn't anymore) doesn't mean it is prestigious. San Sebastian indeed isn't the most prestigious non-monument race, but it is still quite important. I would put it on the same level as Amstel and lately Gent-Wevelgem.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
PremierAndrew said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:

No.

How dare you doubt the sixth monument.

TRENDING THREADS