• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Classy riders in the pro peleton

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Just read the article about Thomas Voeckler's evolving team role. Granted I never heard of him before his stunning ride in yellow a few years ago, but he has seemed, at least from this fan's view, to be one of the classier riders in the pro peleton.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't have to go anywhere.

With all of the "problems" in the sport, it's nice to read about a rider who stays classy and apparently out of trouble. I hate that I have to qualify my statement with "apparently" but it seems that's where we've come to...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
a great fighter but definitely not a classy rider.always seemed more like a mine worker.

I know what you mean. Maybe not classy style-wise on his bike, like say, Dave Millar, but Tommy V definitely has classy attitude to racing and ethics.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Michele said:
Heinrich Haussler

+10

I like Fédrigo, and Kiryienka. They each have a style that makes them look like they're on a Sunday ride at times: can look sort of passive, but they're both strong as ****.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
soOpOSMthanks! said:
I wish I could give you an opinion, but I'm not too familiar with "peletons".

yawn, pelEton might just be the english translation of pelOton......but at the end of the day no one was hurt in the making of the post so that's ok.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Alright I suppose the thread is going a little somewhere. So without further adue, Jens Voigt. I mean it's a bit obvious and almost trendy at this point, but he really is the classiest most stand-up guy I could name riding today. His "cleanliness" has never been in question. He is a true idol for the kids to look up to... completely humble, hardest worker there is, and totally down to earth and funny. I dunno, I just love the guy.

soOpOSMthanks! said:
I wish I could give you an opinion, but I'm not too familiar with "peletons".

That kind of dismissive meanness seems uncalled for...

Anyway, as far as 'classy' riding styles go, it's hard for me to look past Pozzato. Total opposite of his personality on the bike, just smooth as anything.

If you mean someone who has 'class' in terms of sportsmanship and activities off the bike, Voeckler is certainly fitting. Chavanel too, I loved when he had a cyclingnews blog and just talked excitedly about breakaways and maybe winning, all the time.

Vino says to be a true winner you have to have class too.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Classy?? hmmm.. I'd say most French Riders are classy..
A good few Italians, not many USA's, a couple from the UK, a few Belgians, couple from The Netherlands.. a couple of Germans.. A good few Spanish
But to pick one.. I'd say I can't, I can highlight a few though, Tommy V's there Moncuite (spelling) too, Chavanel, Indurain, I like Valverde, Petacchi, loved watch Pantani (sorry but I did) Gartzelli, I love Gartzelli, but nahh, the classiest rider would have to be French..sorry.And probably a more recently disgraced one too but hey ho..

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Without going to far back in time. I think Laurent Jalabert was a very classy rider. With Jalabert you could never tell. He always looked totally in control and very composed. He would look like he was riding leisurely at the front of the race and then you'd look again and he'd have collapsed loosing something like 5 minutes in ten K.

There seems to be a differing meaning to classy in this thread but in terms of style on a bike I've always loved watching Basso climb. Even on 20% gradients he keeps a great posture and rhythm. Ullrich always seemed classy in terms of personality.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
There seems to be a differing meaning to classy in this thread but in terms of style on a bike I've always loved watching Basso climb..

I see your point. I can't really attest to Jalaberts personality but he seems nice enough. You're probably right about Ullrich. I've seen him at criteriums and at the 2000 olympics. He looked very approachable. At one criterium sponsored by a brewery I saw him down a a full litre in one gulp. Now that's classy..

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Contre la montre said:
I see your point. I can't really attest to Jalaberts personality but he seems nice enough. You're probably right about Ullrich. I've seen him at criteriums and at the 2000 olympics. He looked very approachable. At one criterium sponsored by a brewery I saw him down a a full litre in one gulp. Now that's classy..

And that was his problem too :( McEwen is a pretty nice dude too, after our junior race in Kortrijk it was Kortrijk Koerse criterium for pro's. Me and my training buddy were doing some laps as a cooldown and suddenly Robbie was there and we were talking to him :) it was nice :)

Michielveedeebee said:
And that was his problem too

I'm not sure that Ullrich was ever that bad with the whole drinking/poor prep compared to a lot of the others, he just didn't try to hide it. By all accounts people like Schleck, Wiggins, Jalabert liked to drink and were/are top of their game.

@Contre la montre: yeah the problem with the whole sport personality thing is that most of what we think of pro sports people is made from the filter of mass media. Some come off well, others not so well.For, example, I'm not totally convinced Evans is a moody guy, but rather he comes across badly.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Finbouy said:
Classy?? hmmm.. I'd say most French Riders are classy..
A good few Italians, not many USA's, a couple from the UK, a few Belgians, couple from The Netherlands.. a couple of Germans.. A good few Spanish
But to pick one.. I'd say I can't, I can highlight a few though, Tommy V's there Moncuite (spelling) too, Chavanel, Indurain, I like Valverde, Petacchi, loved watch Pantani (sorry but I did) Gartzelli, I love Gartzelli, but nahh, the classiest rider would have to be French..sorry.And probably a more recently disgraced one too but hey ho..

LOL, that's funny!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
There seems to be a differing meaning to classy in this thread but in terms of style on a bike I've always loved watching Basso climb. Even on 20% gradients he keeps a great posture and rhythm. Ullrich always seemed classy in terms of personality.

I agree with you.The common usage of the term in cycling is regarding riding style.For example Stephen Roche was regarded as being more Classy than Sean Kelly.Nothing to do with their results or personality and everything to do with style and suplesse(Excuse the spelling)
In the current peloton maybe Basso,Moncoutie,Contador,Millar,Kloeden are Classy while Voekler,Voight,Evans,Gesink, Leipheimer are not.
Just my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS