• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clinger

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yo Momma said:
Joe a victory for a clean sport would be for people like you to stay away from it .

If your only reason for posting is to attack another poster then a victory for this forum would be for you to stay away from it.

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Has joe been caught cheating ? Has Joe been caught selling or conspiring to sell performance enhancing products ? I don't mean to attack anyone but the facts are the facts . I'm tired of people of cheating getting caught and then be coming righteous

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yo Momma said:
Has joe been caught cheating ? Has Joe been caught selling or conspiring to sell performance enhancing products ? I don't mean to attack anyone but the facts are the facts . I'm tired of people of cheating getting caught and then be coming righteous

This thread isn't about Joe it's about Clinger, hence the reason I said something.

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Bummer about David Clinger. Not a bad or evil guy, regardless of his having raced for USPS once. His sanction hardly seems like a victory for clean sport, though I would have liked to have seen him get his TUE paperwork in order before he went off and finished top-3 at nationals. Oh well, no mercy, I guess.

Yes but Joe started this thread read his post, Joe is correct in that this does very little to clean up the sport , but people like Joe are at fault .He cheated knew it was wrong got caught and conspired to cheat again. Had Joe not cheated his statement " not a bad or evil , regardless of having raced for USPS once " might be more meaningful .

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
wattage said:
Damn, thats one ugly tattoo.

Sometimes you gotta wonder who on earth wants to be a pro. There are so many sad stories around. I mean, most of the guys don't earn a whole lot of money riding and when the time eventually comes that you have to stop, you don't have any real job skills when you have spent your whole life just riding.
Are you saying that his face art will not impact him getting a job as an...airport security person, job with elementary school kids, old folks home health aid,nurse, security guard, cafe greeter, ........with that ink he can work in some offshoot of the circus.Wearing a kilt,suit,woman's outfit would make no difference. Had a kid come into our office who had been to trade school for 2 and half years had an FTP tat on one hand,last 2 initials stand for "the police" and a tat on his neck that said "Stop Snitchin" and a girls name on the other side. The HR company will use his appearance as a industry joke for years to come "remember the guy..with the gang tats". This was a huge mistake, he will have a hard time selling bikes to mom's and kids. Getting customers to coach will be a very tough

May 18, 2009
Visit site
This really is an interesting post. I had forgotten Clinger was the guy that got his face tattood. :D

Craig, etc. hit the nail on the head. Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. What an idiot, on so many levels.

Yes, maybe he can disguise his voice and be a phone sex operator. :D

I've gotta stop.

python said:
tattoo is a personal choice. Even a radical facial one. don’t see a problem there.

It's a personal choice, but it is not his perception of himself what matters but the perception of others. So it matters 100% when getting a job.

Didn't he get fired on a cycling team for his tattoo? That's how bad this tattoo looks on a personality level. Not even a cycling team can stand it.

This Tattoo shows he has some psychological issues IMHO.

Cerberus said:
Even for phone and computer related jobs he has to get the job first. If you walk into a job interview and the first thing your prospective employer sees is a radical face tattoo, I don't think that improves your chance of getting the job. It's his choice to make, but it's also his responsibility to live with the consequences. Or as you say to have it removed. No skin of my nose either way.

+1.

A

Anonymous

You never get a second chance to make a first impression

4vkdid.jpg

Makes you wonder about decision making abilities. Would you trust his?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
It's a personal choice, but it is not his perception of himself what matters but the perception of others. So it matters 100% when getting a job.

Didn't he get fired on a cycling team for his tattoo? That's how bad this tattoo looks on a personality level. Not even a cycling team can stand it.

This Tattoo shows he has some psychological issues IMHO.

+1.
how him getting a job and his appearance relate to his doping case - the topic of this thread. ? was the facial tattoo responsible for his positive testo test ?

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Coke, Crack, x, etc...think Chad Gerlach but w/ a facial tattoo. I'm not excusing David's having doped, but knowing what he's gone through since his breakdown (which included a lot that wasn't reported in VeloNews), I can't help but feel for the guy. Just hope his support system is still in place to help him survive this.

Joe, we hear alot about links between PED use and substance abuse...like other sportsmen, alot of cyclists seem to use/abuse cocaine. Do you have any thoughts/insights to add to this....is the correlation between PED use and illegal drug use real in your experience?

Clinger's case is particularly unfortunate, as staying off drugs was supposed to be his number #1 priority. No doubt any kind of substance abuse has a high recidivism rate. Maybe using PEDs (along with racing) was a way for him to rediscover that 'high' feeling?

No doubt the responsibility for Clinger's predicament rests with Clinger. But trolls and haters should consider the possibility that the environment of pro cycling contributed to Clinger's problems, and in this sense Clinger is a victim of the drug culture in cycling.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
python said:
how him getting a job and his appearance relate to his doping case - the topic of this thread. ? was the facial tattoo responsible for his positive testo test ?

1 sillier question than that is do you think he was drug tested more due to the face tat?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
python said:

It's directly related.

What kind of sponsor wants creature from the black lagoon face hocking their product?

Thus, it limited his choice of teams and in turn limited his income to where he couldn't afford Ferrari, which means increased risk of getting AAF.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
It's directly related.

What kind of sponsor wants creature from the black lagoon face hocking their product?

Thus, it limited his choice of teams and in turn limited his income to where he couldn't afford Ferrari, which means increased risk of getting AAF.
so you are indeed saying his facial tat lead him to doping ?

how did guys w/o facial tats with better choices ended up doping ?

python said:
We were discussing something else, related to Clinger, but not to the positive test.

We were referring to him getting a job after his cycling life. It that were to happen.

A little off topic anyway.:eek:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
python said:
what do you think ?
I think most people in a western culture will look at him like they do ghetto trash,gang members and Mike Tyson...that 1st impression is the whole of their relationship. It's like when your doctor comes into the exam room wearing a speedo and a clown mask,He may be a great doctor but getting over your initial reaction is simply not worth it. This guy was in circles of pro cyclists for years,most of them begging for extra work in a movie,modeling contract,endorsement of anything, coaching, motivational speaker,Olympic medal,championships, steady money contract. This guy went to the only game in town...Mike Ball.. not only was Mr.Ball not interested in the how or why but he encouraged the guy to fck himself up even further. I am sure Roy Knickman was heartbroken when one of his riders went so far outside what was considered normal for the team.With your perspective your new teammate should be able to kill a goat for dinner on the team bus...just to express his true inner self.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
python said:
so you are indeed saying his facial tat lead him to doping ?

how did guys w/o facial tats with better choices ended up doping ?

I'm saying his face tattoo is a sign of stupidity. There is a much higher risk at getting caught doping if you are stupid.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
lightclimber said:
2394726454_3585c85f3a.jpg

In this article http://velonews.competitor.com/2009...ry-continues-as-his-tattoos-slowly-fade_99132 from October 12, 2009 it states: “I’ve learned my lesson,” Clinger said. “That’s not something I want anymore. Whatever I do, I just gotta stay off the drugs.”

And with the exception of one time — a particularly stressful day nearly eight months ago — Clinger said he’s been clean and sober for 13 months."

What kind of drugs was he referring to? Mind altering or performance enhancing?

wtf is that? Picture said it all.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He has the same posting style as the various "hombre" members from many months ago. "Hombre" would do stupid things to annoy like make visitor messages of "smack smack" and make stupid regular postings that are similar to what Krap Police does.

It is likely OAR from DPF.

You would be incorrect in that guess.
But the list is small for that type of asshat behavior.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
python said:

Is it frustrating when you cannot moderate it?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
I like the co-ordination of Clinger in the RR jersey. Showed remarkable prescience when in the tattoo studio.

Yeah. I'm not down with requiring pros to wear helmets, but the helmet graphics mesh nicely with his face graffiti.

Overall, the whole gettup took alot of foresight and coordination. It would've been funny to see what he would have looked like in one of those old aqua-sapone kits.

I'm no good at photoshop but this is begging for more kit combo research.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
what do you think ?

The tattoos were not the only reason he was dumped from Prime Alliance. There were others asked to leave the team for suspicious performances. Once that info gets out into the community it tends to stick with you.