CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I totally agree. To think a GP wouldn't have legal protection to match the demands of his defence and neither Freeman, BC or Tour Racing Ltd would have thought about professional indemnity and insurance for such situations with their doctors treating Olympic & Professional riders just seems unrealistic to me. Even i'm protected as a BC Coach for £42 membership for £5million costs. GPs cover looks to be well into 4 figures, but nothing for a £30million company.

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
samhocking said:
Why are you so passionate about Freeman not having enough legal protection? His MDU is one thing, his indemnity policy will include legal cover fmk. Who do you think pays your legal costs if you killed someone driving your car? You or your policy?
Again, Sam, you demonstrate a complete inability to comprehend what has been written. I have nowhere questioned whether Freeman has "enough" legal protection. I have questioned your wholly baseless assumptions, particularly that whatever protection he has covers a QC at a tribunal.
And as I originally replied fmk, he has said he has indemnity and it would seem under GMC guidelines you cannot practice without it either privately or publicly. e.g. paediatrician Dr Sabah Al-Zayyat in Baby P GMC tribunal had O'Rourke QC and GMC had Rebecca Poulet QC so it would seem normal in high profile cases.

BC are co-referrers with GMC, so I don't think they would need to. More likely Sky & UKAD might have paid an observer in case the hearing started in public, but the press were there to report anyway.

Dont expect to see anything anytime soon. It's all tied up.

Remember what Ineos Jim said about having done his "due diligence"? ;)

He wont have sunk tens of millions into this team if he though there was a risk of upcoming exposure.

There was an MPTS press release the other week:

‘We continue to liaise with both the GMC [General Medical Council] and Dr. Freeman’s legal representatives about their preparations for the case, and remain in close contact with parties as part of the ongoing case management process’, wrote an MPTS spokesperson in an email. ‘We do not confirm hearing dates until a notice of hearing has been issued to the doctor. This usually takes place no later than 28 days before the start of the hearing.’
Looking at MPTS's 150 odd hearings so far this year, the following 7 hearings are all in similar state to Freeman's so not unusual.

Dr Katy MCALLISTER
Hearing sat: 25 Mar- 3 Apr 2019.
Outcome: Hearing adjourned to a new Tribunal August.

Dr Thaier ALTAII
Hearing date: 07 May
OutcomeL Hearing adjourned to a new Tribunal. (No new date)

Dr Matthew GOODCHILD-SIMPSON
Hearing date: 26th Mar
Outcome: Hearing adjourned to a new Tribunal (No new date)

Dr Giovanni USSIA
Hearing date: 4th Mar

Dr Richard FREEMAN
Hearing date: 6th Feb

Dr Olanrewaju OLADIPO
Hearing date: 12th Feb

Dr Christopher OBASI
Hearing date: 15th Feb

Dr Raied HARIS
Hearing date: 14th Jan
Adjourned - Part-heard

Jun 16, 2015
The GMC is yet another supposedly independent body rooted in bias towards its own profession. It's like one of those police force professional standards departments, ha ha!

Not sure about that. It's just a timely process. 6 months is not unusual for new dates to be set. Freeman's was only adjourned to a new tribunal 3 months ago. e.g

Dr Alan LEES
Hearing: 11th Jun 2018
Adjourned to new Tribunal: 14th Jun 2018
New Tribunal set: 28th Jan 2019
Summary of outcome: Erasure 7th Feb 2019

samhocking said:
Not sure about that. It's just a timely process. 6 months is not unusual for new dates to be set. Freeman's was only adjourned to a new tribunal 3 months ago. e.g

Dr Alan LEES
Hearing: 11th Jun 2018
Adjourned to new Tribunal: 14th Jun 2018
New Tribunal set: 28th Jan 2019
Summary of outcome: Erasure 7th Feb 2019
Man, I would love to go see them, my fave band ever!

Re:

Zebadeedee said:
Delay and the passage of time will erode any relevance this hearing may have. It's the way the system works.

It's a GMC hearing, not an anti-doping hearing. What 'system' do you think this is a part of?

Why on earth do you think a GMC which is bothering to charge Freeman would be keen to acquit him?

ASK THE COMMUNITY