• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CMS Doping in sport revelations/discussion

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
Draft report is out;

THE REPORT'S KEY FINDINGS

The British Cycling board ‘sanitised’ the investigation into Jess Varnish’s allegations against former technical director Shane Sutton, ‘reversing’ the initial findings to suit their own agenda. Varnish lost her funding ‘as an act of retaliation’ for criticising coaching staff and was ‘simply removed’ from the programme instead of being warned about her performance.
Former performance director Sir Dave Brailsford was ‘untouchable’, taking decisions about the multi-million-pound budget himself. Staff were regularly dispatched with confidential settlement agreements if relationships broke down and there was a perception of ‘jobs for the boys’.
Some elite cyclists have ‘experienced trauma’ at British Cycling and described a programme ‘characterised by fear and bullying from leadership figures’.
There is a ‘culture of fear’ among staff, some of whom are treated like children. Some staff are ‘frightened to speak out and are being bullied’.
Para-cyclists were sometimes called ‘wobblies’ or ‘gimps’ and the athletes took possession of these terms, setting up a WhatsApp group called ‘Wobblies&Gimps’.
Leadership at board level is inadequate and there is a ‘cloak-and-dagger’ atmosphere. A ‘systematic overhaul’ of leadership has been recommended.
The successful pursuit of medals has had a ‘blinding effect’, meaning serious issues have been ignored for a long time. UK Sport, which will give British Cycling £34million in the current Olympic cycle, did not monitor the sport in ‘any meaningful way’.
Former technical director Shane Sutton was never suitable for a management role and used crude language as he operated in an ‘old school’ way.
Boundaries between British Cycling and Team Sky were ‘blurred’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-4298982/British-Cycling-s-wheels-blown-explosive-report.html

Christ. Bullying, autocratic and dictatorial, glossing over serious issues, 'jobs for the boys', corrupt Board, using their position to twist and misrepresent allegations etc, and - probably worst of all - exploiting their position and being vindictive against individuals who complained.

Only the fact that DB is now at Sky means he could 'survive' this. Rotten to the core.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Electress said:
thehog said:
Draft report is out;

The British Cycling board ‘sanitised’ the investigation into Jess Varnish’s allegations against former technical director Shane Sutton, ‘reversing’ the initial findings to suit their own agenda. Varnish lost her funding ‘as an act of retaliation’ for criticising coaching staff and was ‘simply removed’ from the programme instead of being warned about her performance.
Former performance director Sir Dave Brailsford was ‘untouchable’, taking decisions about the multi-million-pound budget himself. Staff were regularly dispatched with confidential settlement agreements if relationships broke down and there was a perception of ‘jobs for the boys’.
Some elite cyclists have ‘experienced trauma’ at British Cycling and described a programme ‘characterised by fear and bullying from leadership figures’.
There is a ‘culture of fear’ among staff, some of whom are treated like children. Some staff are ‘frightened to speak out and are being bullied’.
Para-cyclists were sometimes called ‘wobblies’ or ‘gimps’ and the athletes took possession of these terms, setting up a WhatsApp group called ‘Wobblies&Gimps’.
Leadership at board level is inadequate and there is a ‘cloak-and-dagger’ atmosphere. A ‘systematic overhaul’ of leadership has been recommended.
The successful pursuit of medals has had a ‘blinding effect’, meaning serious issues have been ignored for a long time. UK Sport, which will give British Cycling £34million in the current Olympic cycle, did not monitor the sport in ‘any meaningful way’.
Former technical director Shane Sutton was never suitable for a management role and used crude language as he operated in an ‘old school’ way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-4298982/British-Cycling-s-wheels-blown-explosive-report.html

Christ. Bullying, autocratic and dictatorial, glossing over serious issues, 'jobs for the boys', corrupt Board, using their position to twist and misrepresent allegations etc, and - probably worst of all - exploiting their position and being vindictive against individuals who complained.

Only the fact that DB is now at Sky means he could 'survive' this. Rotten to the core.

British Cycling, innovative take on the babushka doll just a few bad apples trope.

if all exist within Cookson fish rots from the head torturing metaphors babushka doll of british cycling, and brailsford is merely one of the babushka dolls within the babushka doll, if that is how you spell babushka doll

#babushka_doll
#itsallrussiandopinginnit

thehog said:
Draft report is out;

Is this Sir DB's "get out of jail" card? Step down because of past behaviour without a word about doping?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Robert5091 said:
thehog said:
Draft report is out;

Is this Sir DB's "get out of jail" card? Step down because of past behaviour without a word about doping?

grey mail or poison pill
not same thing

he knows where the buried bodies got buried

So Sky had no policy on medical records and everyone knew Wiggins was getting the injection.

The doctor at the centre of the Sir Bradley Wiggins jiffy bag controversy has made the astonishing admission that there was not a 'written medicines management policy or stock-taking system' at either Team Sky or British Cycling in 2011.

Richard Freeman, who is still British Cycling's doctor, also contradicts earlier claims by insisting that the use of the powerful corticosteroid that was given to Wiggins before he won the 2012 Tour de France was with the knowledge of Team Sky management and coaches.

Freeman has revealed this in written evidence to the Culture, Media and Sport select committee in a bid to explain why he has been unable to produce proof of what was in the medical package delivered to the 2011 Criterium du Dauphine for Wiggins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4354890/Jiffy-bag-doctor-admits-Sky-didn-t-records-2011.html

thehog said:
So Sky had no policy on medical records and everyone knew Wiggins was getting the injection.

The doctor at the centre of the Sir Bradley Wiggins jiffy bag controversy has made the astonishing admission that there was not a 'written medicines management policy or stock-taking system' at either Team Sky or British Cycling in 2011.

Richard Freeman, who is still British Cycling's doctor, also contradicts earlier claims by insisting that the use of the powerful corticosteroid that was given to Wiggins before he won the 2012 Tour de France was with the knowledge of Team Sky management and coaches.

Freeman has revealed this in written evidence to the Culture, Media and Sport select committee in a bid to explain why he has been unable to produce proof of what was in the medical package delivered to the 2011 Criterium du Dauphine for Wiggins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4354890/Jiffy-bag-doctor-admits-Sky-didn-t-records-2011.html

Does anybody have a chart keeping track of who has blown a hole through whom in the Sky/BC debacle? Sutton basically called a liar by Freeman (a complete surprise to nobody), and Peters called out for running a medical shop with poorer record keeping than a church bake sale. I was hoping 'The Godfather' and 'All The President's Men' would have me in good stead to keep track of all the backstabbing and double bluffs, but this is exhausting.

All we need now is for Brailsford to come out and give a Nixonian "I am not a crook" statement. But Dave being Dave, that would come out as "I can see why you might say that, but we have a lot of great people, and I know for a fact that we have always tried to go about things the right way, and while mistakes were made, that 'not being a crook' thing is definitely something we're taking a really close look at, and is the kind of thing that I could definitely see us making team policy in the future, provided of course it doesn't jeopardise our medical confidentiality obligations to our riders, which I am sure you will agree they fully deserve."

'not a written medicines management policy or stock-taking system' at either Team Sky or British Cycling in 2011.'

And therein lies the attempted escape clause for the good doctor. He was, as good doctors do, following written policy, of which there apparently was none. At least in 2011. What about 2012 or onwards? How about verbal policy, or board policy?

Freeman is trying to save his medical butt by #busthrowundery Gollum, Peters and Sutton.

First serve in, awaiting the replie.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/39411057
Ex-Team Sky doctor's evidence leaves 'major questions', says MP Damian Collins -
The Doc's taking the fall - nothing to see here, move on ... Geezus

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...iggins-doctor-british-cycling-mystery-package
Freeman also insisted he had once administered triamcinolone to a rider at Team Sky and British Cycling and was “aware of only a handful of riders in either team being referred to hospital for image-guided triamcinolone injection for clinical need, with none needing a TUE”.

He added: “My practice has never been compromised by coaches or management ever at Team Sky or British Cycling. I am not, and have not been, concerned that the TUE process is abused by athletes, in relation to my clinical experience and practice.”
How many lawyers have written "his answers"? :D

"All we need now is for Brailsford to come out and give a Nixonian "I am not a crook" statement."
Already done - “We remain confident that the allegation is false and that there has been no wrongdoing by Team Sky or its employees"

Re:

Robert5091 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ns-medical-records-lost-dropbox-a7652936.html
"“I found [Dropbox] difficult to use, having on-going concerns about its security and greater confidence in my own system of note keeping,” Freeman said in a submission which stated that he had been instrumental in setting up the use of the software to create a central store of medical records."
good grief ...

That's a fair point about the security of dropbox. I wouldn't want my medical records kept on it.

Robert5091 said:
Ex-Team Sky doctor's evidence leaves 'major questions', says MP Damian Collins -

From that article:

He said "only Fluimucil was contained in the package sent" and he had requested it "a day or two before the end of the Dauphine".

Seriously? They were in f$%^ing Les Gets a day or two before the end of the Dauphine!! I thought one of the arguments for the ridiculous flight was he wasn't near somewhere he had prescription rights?

Re:

Robert5091 said:
"All we need now is for Brailsford to come out and give a Nixonian "I am not a crook" statement."
Already done - “We remain confident that the allegation is false and that there has been no wrongdoing by Team Sky or its employees"

The C21 adopts the weasel words "no wrong-doing" spin.
;)
as the poet wrote:
if a guiding light’s
no longer seen
in being right
I don’t find it hid among
this simply “not being wrong”.

Article up on cyclingnews now and I noticed this quote:

In the last 7 years I’m aware of only a handful of riders in either team being referred to hospital for image guided triamcinolone injection for clinical need, with none needing a TUE,” Freeman’s statement reveals.

I have bolded the important part. BC had 55 vials of triamcinolone in their stash which they claimed was mainly used to treat staff and some riders. But now Freeman is claiming that the riders were referred to hospital for treatment. Obviously you don't need to take your own drugs to hospital with you, so at minimum this means that triamcinolone use is higher than we previously thought. I've not yet seen the document, does he mention treating non-riders at all? Does he say which team the riders were on?

His testimony is also completely at odds with Sutton and Brailsford, wonder what they're going to come up with next..?

Written evidence from Freeman here:

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/culture-media-and-sport-committee/combatting-doping-in-sport/written/49391.html

At no point does he ever mention administering triamcinolone to a member of team staff or any other rider, with the one presumably being Wiggins (but maybe not...). As we have been told that every other doctor followed team protocol and uploaded their medical records to the dropbox, that surely must mean there is a record of anyone else who received an injection of triamcinolone? But UKAD couldn't find any...

This is confusing:

The Dauphine in 2011 was also unique for me, as a high altitude training camp followed immediately after the race without the opportunity to return to my place of work to re-stock. I wanted to ensure I had enough supplies of medication if required at that training camp, having used up some of my present stock during the race.

How much fluimucil was in this package? I thought it was a small package but this makes it sound like he'd run out and asked for a load extra to be brought over. If only fluimucil was in the package that implies he managed the stock of other medications he had with him very well, so why didn't this happen with fluimucil? Was more than usual used? Surely if he knew they were having a high altitude training camp he would have taken a lot extra? Especially as his evidence contains this statement:

The use of this medication by nebuliser, is believed by many doctors to be mucolytic, which is helpful in managing stage riders, who as they compete in adverse weather, at high altitudes for 5-6 hours per day are prone to chestiness and excess respiratory mucus production.

Sounds like exactly what they were off to do after the race, yet the package has been described as small, probably containing, at most, a few doses. Did they claim that it only contained the fluimucil needed?

If it were possible this is getting harder and harder to believe...

Re: Re:

bigcog said:
Robert5091 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ns-medical-records-lost-dropbox-a7652936.html
"“I found [Dropbox] difficult to use, having on-going concerns about its security and greater confidence in my own system of note keeping,” Freeman said in a submission which stated that he had been instrumental in setting up the use of the software to create a central store of medical records."
good grief ...

That's a fair point about the security of dropbox. I wouldn't want my medical records kept on it.
Better to have just one copy on a laptop and take that all over the world. Or better still no records at all, just keep it all in your head. Can't get more secure than that. I'm struggling to keep up with which of these methods Doc Freeman was going for in 2011 or since

Eyeballs Out said:
bigcog said:
Robert5091 said:
good grief ...

Better to have just one copy on a laptop and take that all over the world. Or better still no records at all, just keep it all in your head. Can't get more secure than that. I'm struggling to keep up with which of these methods Doc Freeman was going for in 2011 or since

Yes probably, dropbox globally accessible to anyone and thus open to being hacked ...

bigcog said:
Eyeballs Out said:
bigcog said:
Robert5091 said:
good grief ...

Yes probably, dropbox globally accessible to anyone and thus open to being hacked ...

Dropbox is not globally available but the internet is, that's what makes it hackable. Dropbox only exists in its datacenters in CA, USA.

King Boonen said:
Robert5091 said:

From that article:

He said "only Fluimucil was contained in the package sent" and he had requested it "a day or two before the end of the Dauphine".

Seriously? They were in f$%^ing Les Gets a day or two before the end of the Dauphine!! I thought one of the arguments for the ridiculous flight was he wasn't near somewhere he had prescription rights?

Yep - 1 hr away from the Swiss pharmacy and on the route that day, 15 minutes from the Swiss pharmacy, just in case ANY ONE ALIVE believes that shite about not being able to buy it in France and not having prescription rights.

Plus his expenses claims state he went to pick up the package on 8th June. A day or four before the end of the Dauphine.

As for that 'being instrumental in setting up systems.' and his 'confidence in his own systems' It's farcical. I keep better records of my charity tuck shop than these guys!

From the Doc's statement,
"I have never encountered a winning at all costs attitude in these organisations. Indeed both organisations have indeed allowed me to care for my patients protecting me from the performance demands that exist to win in elite sport."
So, explain why you were stopped from getting a TUE for Wiggins at 2013 Tour of Britain by another Sky doctor?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...8/Chivers-says-current-problems-make-sad.html
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/39521974
British Cycling have appointed a new human resources boss in Michael Chivers - British Cycling's first 'people director' (ugh?) Chivers, sad ... WTF? have we sunk to Trump's level?
"In his new role he will bring in "behaviours" workshops ..." (oh, good grief ... )
"Chivers has been working for the crisis-hit organisation as a consultant since November ..." He's a friggin' consultant for f**** sake!

Getting out in front of the narative ... British taxpayers money being put to good, no, great use! :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS