• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN article on this year's kits

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
lampre worst kit on the peloton? lolwut

i have to leave now but will post a more detailed opinion in a couple of hours

what do you guys think of that article?
Wha-wha-whaaaat?

Lampre's kit is my favorite of 2011. Sometimes luminescent pink just works.

A

Anonymous

Lampres the best kit for me as well.. At least its got some colour to it.

A

Anonymous

I think the article is borderline sillyness.. the kind of things you see on crap fansites :D

Lampre for me is one of the few kits i really like, a rare splash of colour in a very bland peloton.

The highroad kit looks like a cheap 1970's high school basketball strip, the leopard one is just dull and i actually find the "low key" national champs version slightly disrespectful, garmin has lost all its pizazz, liquigas will never be the same with the green gone, quickstep is just same old quickstep. Possibly the only one i agree with is that RS is an improvement over the strapless dress effort for last year.

To be honest, the fact she is a lance fan, and only tweeted for about 3 weeks last summer it comes as no surprise that RS was top.

ya lampre's kit is also my favorite. the reasons they give for it to be that bad are just stupid. for me pink and blue will always mean lampre. hell a few weeks ago i went to buy some cloths and saw a pink and blue t-shirt near my sister so i told her "hey pick up that t-shirt to take a look", her "what t-shirt?", me "the lampre color one". and she knew i was talking about the blue and pink one even tho she isn't a big cycling fan. so ya pink a blue official color of the brand or no, will always mean lampre.

also thought the orange thing was funny. oh and ofc one of the kits that stands out for being original( similar to last year but different from every1 else) also got super bad reviews. talking about ag2r ofc.

now what the writer seems to like are kits that instead of blinding you with their bright colors(pretty much what he said about lampre) are kits that kill you with their tedious look. like sky and leopard and garmin. he also said awful things about the Movistar kit saying only the white strip was good on that kit and the lotto kit which imo are both better then the boring ones. oh and radioshack is an improvement yes but its not that much better then any1 else.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
This article is really a joke and full of inconsistencies. It's a kind of articles you find on a personal blog but not on the top cycling news website.
And not surprised RS came 1st, coming from a Lance girl, who, as TeamSkyFans said, only follows cycling in july.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
That article has ordered the kits in almost the exact reverse of how I would have done it. I'm glad I'm far from alone in enjoying the Lampre kit the most.

I like the new Liquigas kit, mostly because it means no more having to put up with people describing them as "bottle green" when to a colourblindy like me it was clearly bright yellow.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Yea what the heck.

HTC got points for getting rid of the abs on the old jersey?

Katusha got 5 points for originality? How many european countries share those 3 colors in some way?

Radioshack still doesn't look that great. "Typography - very designy."

Lampre = "Colours: Neon pink isn't even the title sponsor's color. Who came up with this idea? Someone's five-year-old daughter? Or did the designers visit Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and overdose on sugar? The combo vibrates in a way that's sure to incite rage and aggression. Maybe that's the point. 2" Come on!

AG2R's problem is that they went with their sponsors style? But then the Shack is amazing?

Can writer's be written up for not being good at their jobs?

I think Lampre's jersey is a major worsening compared to other kits they've had, but it's still one of the best out there. When I said they had ruined it in the other thread, that should be taken in context - Lampre has always been my favourite team, and the only pro jersey I've ever bought was a 1995 Lampre-Panaria jersey. So there.

RadioShack's is not that bad, but it's certainly not that good, and it's not that original - doesn't the back look just like the Polish national team? I'm also not sure about saying white is more distinguishable than, say, dark blue. Vacansoleil jerseys are always easy to spot, and I reckon Movistar riders will be too (especially with their epileptic helmets).

A

Anonymous

i also fail to understand how liquigas, and htc will be MORE VISIBLE Than the pink of lampre.

Visibility: Red was everywhere for the last few seasons, but now missing in action so with this colour combination, these guys will be easy find. The gigantic vermillion 'R' will be hard to miss from the overhead shots. 5

Would someone like to tell her that there isnt a huge R on the back of the jersey, so no, the big R wont be visible from the overhead shots.

Radioshack Originality: Who else wears this much orange? 4

erm....Euskaltel?
Visibility: Too much orange is never enough. 5

Article fail.

As much as a hate to say it, the Radioshack is nice. Not sure if it deserves a top pick, though. Slightly above midrange.

I'd probably put the Lampre jersey as #1. Instantly recognizable, completely different from any other team. I admire them for their audacity (neon pink was so 1983).

I appreciate the simple clarity of Rabobank and Euskatel. They also have stuck with a consistently recognizable theme. Sky scores high for a simple block design as well.

My ranking would be:

1. Lampre
2. Rabobank (tie)
2. Sky (tie)
4. Euskatel
5. Radioshack

Katusha is too busy and Leopard is obviously missing something (like a title sponsor).

I've never liked them before but I love the new Liquigas kit. Definitely my fave with Movistar 2nd. Maybe I'm in the minority but I like AG2R's brown. I liked BMCs kit last year and it doesn't look like they've changed much.

Worst kits for me are Astana, Rabo, Vacansoleil (agree with her on the lack of flow between the jersey and bibs) and team leopard-trek (that white patch just makes it look unfinished).

Lampre and Radioshack, her worst and best, are somewhere in the middle for me.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Terrible article, full of nonsense. As nobilis pointed out, it's the sort of thing you see on someone's (not very good) blog.

I'd much rather see L'arriviste do a full rundown on the kit of each team.

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm also confused about how "Reflection of sponsor's identity" turns into "How much I like the sponsor's logo". So she doesn't like the Ag2r style, but the kit is very consistent with the Ag2r website. What are the kit designers supposed to do, redesign company logos and websites while they're at it?

I don't see how MoviStar doesn't get a 5 in the "Sponsor" category. She may not like the logo, but it stands out very well and you get the feeling they built the kit around the logo instead of just slapping it on a pre-designed jersey. Go look at MoviStar's website, then look at their kit. It's a great match. Speaking as an owner of a company, that's exactly what I'd be looking for if I were to sponsor a team- a kit that matches our identity with a logo that is clearly visible.

Now look at HTC's website, then look at the HTC kit. Nothing about that kit says HTC to me except for the actual HTC logos on it. HTC should get a 1 in the "Sponsor" category for that reason alone, not a 3 just because she doesn't like Highroad's logo.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
I've never liked them before but I love the new Liquigas kit. Definitely my fave with Movistar 2nd. Maybe I'm in the minority but I like AG2R's brown. I liked BMCs kit last year and it doesn't look like they've changed much.

Worst kits for me are Astana, Rabo, Vacansoleil (agree with her on the lack of flow between the jersey and bibs) and team leopard-trek (that white patch just makes it look unfinished).

Lampre and Radioshack, her worst and best, are somewhere in the middle for me.

My thoughts almost exactly
Liquigas outstanding
Movistar also #2
maybe Katusha #3
worst Astana Rabo Vacansoleil
also bad
HTC Lotto & agree wholeheartedly with the unfinished Leopard trek look
(OH just leave it blank...)
I think Lampre has had better kits so this one is not as good as it could be but better than alot of these things
Radio is an improvement but not stunning
Garmin Sky and Saxo nothing to write home about

runninboy said:
My thoughts almost exactly
Liquigas outstanding
Movistar also #2
maybe Katusha #3
worst Astana Rabo Vacansoleil
also bad
HTC Lotto & agree wholeheartedly with the unfinished Leopard trek look
(OH just leave it blank...)
I think Lampre has had better kits so this one is not as good as it could be but better than alot of these things
Radio is an improvement but not stunning
Garmin Sky and Saxo nothing to write home about

We definitely think alike. I had Katusha up at #4.

My rank..

AG2R La Mondiale - easy to spot, colours look nice together
Quick Step - last years retro was better, like the red touches though
Cofidis - nice colours, nice sun, good design
Liquigas-Cannondale - nice design, colours fit well
Andalucia-Caja Granada - really nice colouring + andalucia logo is always nice
Omega Pharma-Lotto - nothing on 2010 kit, still better than most
HTC-Highroad - much improved design
Lampre-ISD - bright, easy to spot
Farnese Vini-Neri Sottoli - the ones with fluoro shoulders look great
Europcar - could've done with a brighter green, nice with black shorts
Rabobank - nicer than the old one
Euskaltel-Euskadi - same as ever, easy to find etc
Androni Giocattoli - nice selection of colours, sponsors don't really fit
FDJ - not a patch on the old FDJ
Saur-Sojasun - it'd be nicer with more blue
Team Katusha - nice colours, but jersey + shorts don't match
Topsport-Vlaanderen - simple, but a bit boring
Colnago-CSF - good colours, but too much white
Skil-Shimano - come one! green?!
Team Radioshack - nice from the front, less so from the back
Movistar - kinda boring
Astana - weird font + lack of sun/wing
Landbouwkrediet - Europcar is pretty similar, too many sponsors that don't match colours
Team Sky - boring
Garmin-Cervelo - boring + lack of originality
Saxo Bank-Sungard - just not nice
Vacansoleil-DCM - jersey + shorts don't match again, dcm logo looks weird
Team BMC - dull
De Rosa-Ceramica Flaminia - bleuch
Leopard-Trek - so so so dull

I'm still trying to figure out what the editorial board was smoking when they came up with their jersey ratings. I couldn'g find much wich trafficked the poles here on te forums. I had too give up trying to figure things out and think about blowing my brains ouf

TRENDING THREADS