• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN reader poll: let your voice be heard!

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Dear Cyclingnews readers,

The end of the year is rapidly approaching, and you all know what this means: the Cyclingnews Reader Poll!

It's nearly time for you to pick the best that 2009 had to offer, but before you do, Cyclingnews would like your input in choosing nominations for this year's best photo category.

Please dig into the Cyclingnews archives and pull out your favourite photo of the year - it's important that the photo comes from Cyclingnews!

First, find an image on the site (you can use the archive button in the top of the navigation to find more races), and then locate the image URL by right-clicking on the image and selecting "Properties". Copy the image URL and then click little icon with the mountain above the message body in your Reply to Thread window. Paste the image URL in there.

To help everyone identify the photo, please be sure to also add the URL to the body of your message and let us know the race at which it was taken and the photographer who took it.

Post your favourite pic by midnight GMT, November 15th, 2009. Well announce the nominations next week and send one lucky nominator a signed copy of Sir Chris Hoy's autobiography.

Thanks and good luck!

The CN Team

A

Anonymous

can we nominate our own... :D

all i can find track and mtb photos and a few from october.. its very confusing...
so, basically because shes massively cute...
mancworldcup09day1p44_600.jpg

Lizzie looking decidedly fine in manchester
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-track-world-cup-2009-2010-1-cdm/session-2/photos/93893
Photo: © Gerry McManus

theres better photos.. im just going for prettiest

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
CN reader poll: your second favorite photo...

Since it's the off-season a second photo thread can't hurt.

Since there are a lot of options and you can only pick one it might be good to post some of your favorites here to help refresh the minds of others. I'm just clicking through races now and there are a lot of gems i didn't see before.

This one of Haussler after omloop het volk is great knowing what happened that race.
090228ispa-0160.jpg

©: ISPA

Haven't decided on my favorite yet, I'm leaning towards Menchov 'sitting' on the cobbles in Rome.
bettiniphoto_0039867_1_full.jpg

©: Roberto Bettini

ps. I think cyclingnews has a block on right-clicking images. I once clicked something in my properties somewhere and now it works again, but I forgot how to. Somebody here prolly knows. It has something to do with Java I think.

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I hope for myself again to be in the top 20 of male mountainbikers after my earlier successes in 2004 and 2005 lol :D:D

Maybe we should make a best Rally Car driving cyclist category? You'd win for sure yes?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, my other thread got moved pretty fast, so i guess I'm allowed to spam this one ;)

some more nice ones:

PIC20767221.jpg

Roubaix, ©: Sirotti

KreuzigerWins002.jpg

Romandie, Stage 4, ©: Edward A Madden

pic58948s_600.jpg

Vuelta, Stage 14, © Sirotti

A

Anonymous

isnt the point to pick one, and link to it etc...???

(but well done on finding them, i still cant anything other than october and november)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
isnt the point to pick one, and link to it etc...???
Yes, that's why I started a second thread for the second picks but it got placed into this one.

ps. If you click on full archives you get the old/better CN up to June.

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
Yes, that's why I started a second thread for the second picks but it got placed into this one.

ps. If you click on full archives you get the old/better CN up to June.

and july august and september are where???

hmm.. my comment and post about cn being impossible to navigate has been deleted :eek: along with my comment on the bloke in the menchov picture laughing...

moving things is one thing guys, but deleting peoples posts is getting a bit rich..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Since Menchov sitting on the road was already linked,
bettiniphoto_0040464_1_full_600.jpg

....this photo out of Monaco gets my vote. It's just a beautiful shot. (The peloton climbs out of Monaco.

Photo: © Roberto Bettini)

dv551534_1_600.jpg

But this photo of Haussler is an honorable mention. One of my favorites moment from the tour. (Heinrich Haussler (Cervelo) won the Tour's 13th stage.

Photo: © AFP Photo)

dv551534_1_600.jpg

© AFP Photo

Even though Andy Schleck's coming off age win in Liege might be the 2009 victory I'll be thinking off more, Haussler crossing the line in Colmar in tears is the cycling picture that has moved me the most this year.

A friend and I've been to this particular stage, standing on the side of the road at the last climb of the day. When Haussler passed us he had already broken free of breakaway companion S.Chavanel. When we made our way back to the car my friend's father told him on the phone Haussler had made it. But it was until I saw that picture that I realized what was so special about the victory. It's not just a young rider taking his first major win but also a rider showing real emotions in a time when most winners try to look cool crossing the line, even making up victory salutes that celebrate sponsors.
So thank you Heinrich Haussler to show us what it's all about and thank you to the photographer to save this moment for all of us.

A

Anonymous

The Cobra said:
AC pounces on Verbier and gives Schleck 'the look'.

That is a very telling photo of the years to come!
AC up ahead alone, with the next two best climbers in the world wondering how to catch him...
Great photo Cobra!

ak-zaaf said:
Great one.
TTT's give nice photos most of the time

They sure do, even though I don't like the results to GC a TTT brings, I think the Saxo train lead by Canc was a picture of perfection

I quite like the photos of 'near misses'. Pipo Pozzato's frustration said a thousand words/f-bombs. I suggest someone looks for Canc laying on the ground after the worlds 5th place, that photo said a lot...

Great photos everyone!!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
This one has been posted in other threads, but is a pretty cool shot!

PIC23991S.jpg

"The peloton ascends the Cote de Sainte Roche.
Photo ©: Sirotti/www.sirotti.it "

Agreed. It shows all that is great about the sport without highlighting any rider in particular.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
000_DV523489.jpg

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/giro09/giro0921/000_DV523489.jpg
There were several images of Denis Menchov's crash in the final stage of the Giro, but I think this show of emotions after crossing the line told the story of both that single scare, and the pressure he felt throughout the entire race.
This photo contrasts sharply with his normally stone-cold demeanor. Both the Giro's organizers and the fans were rewarded for the decision to end the three weeks with a final, decisive time trial.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
2009 photo of the year nomination

Lance Armstrong powers out of the start house.
Photo: © Roberto Bettini
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/96th-tour-de-france-gt/stage-1/photos/77718
Love him or hate him, and everyone seems to have an opinion, no rider had a bigger inpact on cycling than Lance. This picture of him rolling off the start in Monaco is loaded with cycling history, from the familiar Tour de France start ramp, the Festina name from 1998, the 7 time champion which folllowed, the world recognized LiveStrong effort against cancer, one of the special edition bikes which was part of the Nike Stages Art show which raised over $1.2 million for cancer research and programs, the companies that helped bring Lance back to cycling again, Nike, Trek, Giro & Oakley among others. Not only makes me look forward to next year, but I already have flight & hotels booked for the 2010 Tour de France. Looking forward to an exciting 2010!LiveStrong!

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Needs to be a Menchov on the ground photo

Menchov on the ground, but I don't know which one. There is at least one from every race he enters. We sit around and ask is Menchov going to crash today or tomorrow? I don't know if it is bad bike skills, bad tyres his teams have used, or what, but that guy just can't stay up.

TRENDING THREADS