• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cobo Talk Only

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

luckyboy said:
https://twitter.com/fmk_RoI/status/1139181092139884546

"The Denis Menchov case - where only selected results were annulled after an ABP violation - suggests this may not be so... Also pay attention to the disdain shown by Spanish courts for the ABP and rewriting the Vuelta's results. Don't bet on the UCI flushing money down the drain."

There's hope yet..

lol

Re: Re:

roundabout said:
Let's see what else comes out then

My initial very speculative thought is that it may be related to this bit of news

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2019-06/wada-introduces-standard-analyzer-at-all-laboratories-approved-for-abp-controls
Hey, silly speculation is fun, as long as it's acknowledged as such!

Anyway, that makes sense. I guess if his values were close enough to warranting a suspension with less precise analyzers, the extra precision might well have made them trip the wire.

hrotha said:
roundabout said:

My initial very speculative thought is that it may be related to this bit of news

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2019-06/wada-introduces-standard-analyzer-at-all-laboratories-approved-for-abp-controls

Anyway, that makes sense. I guess if his values were close enough to warranting a suspension with less precise analyzers, the extra precision might well have made them trip the wire.
Let's hope we don't have to wait two years for the retesting of the 2013 samples

ice&fire said:
hrotha said:
roundabout said:

Let's hope we don't have to wait two years for the retesting of the 2013 samples
Probably only retest 2014 and O wait Contador magically only gets popped.

ice&fire said:
hrotha said:
roundabout said:

I hope we at least get it, even if that means waiting two more years. Because Horner was more ridiculous than Cobo.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Does this mean that Nibali will get his 2nd Vuelta win in 2 years? :D
Retesting would be one thing, but a passport violation after all those years would be really odd and it would make the uci look even less transparent than usual.
Speculation is that BP violation is due to retesting with new and more accurate equipment, followed by BP analysis with updated test results. Sooner or later the details will be disclosed. It's like the new clen analysis machine that caught Contador in its day.

hrotha said:
roundabout said:

Although I am not sue if a use of prohibited substance is a typical wording in case of passport violations

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/uci-statement-on-juan-jos%C3%A9-cobo-acebo

Could be that the most suspect ABP samples got retested and something actually was found (EPO?)

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I would like to know whether Cobo had real chance to defend himself. 5 years in retirement, financial situation unknown, but most probably he did not earn real big money in cycling. Extremely easy target.

Only difference between first (Cobo) and second (Froome) is that the second had sufficient funds to avoid suspension ... .

I think we all knew that Cobo was cheating back in 2011 so I hold no sympathy for him if the evidence has now proved that. But 8 years to finally react? Seriously?

Does this mean that no GT win is now safe and we could start seeing completly random reallocations in future years?

Re:

Hayabusa said:
I think we all knew that Cobo was cheating back in 2011 so I hold no sympathy for him if the evidence has now proved that. But 8 years to finally react? Seriously?

Does this mean that no GT win is now safe and we could start seeing completly random reallocations in future years?

Oh wait, so we think Froome is only still deemed "clean" because he has money to fight claims? Jeez, I really thought he was just training smarter than everyone else.

nayr497 said:
Hayabusa said:

Oh wait, so we think Froome is only still deemed "clean" because he has money to fight claims? Jeez, I really thought he was just training smarter than everyone else.

Rounder wheels. Get with the program! :D

No surprise at all - even though I first evolved from the July fan stage with the 2012 Vuelta, reading about that Cobo win and seen his palmares is all I really needed. Add to that the first Alien sighting. What is curious though, is that one got to keep his Vuelta after being tested positive (double the limit was it?), and the other is now set to lose his to the exact same guy. And then there’s one with the infamous 0,000000000012 grams...

Really is awful that guys like Froome and Heras can lawyer up and get results overturned or just wear down the opposition, while Cobo is out there delivering milk and can't do anything to contest (same with some other guys in recent years).

Of course, maybe they're all doping and it's good to see them banned or have some action taken against them, but different rules for rich and poor is obviously really unfair.

TRENDING THREADS