• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Colombia - Coldeportes

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
names announced: Juan Pablo Suarez, Rafael Infantino y Edward Beltrán (EPM-UNE), Víctor Hugo Peña, Luis Felipe Laverde, Jarlinson Pantano, Juan Pablo Forero, Robinson Chalapud, Dalivier Ospina (Colombia Es pasión 4-72),Wilson Marentes (Formesan Panachi Indersantander), Edwin Parra (Boyacá Orgullo de América), Carlos Julián Quintero, Frank Osorio (GW Shimano).

riders being talked with: Janier Acevedo (Gobernación Indeportes de Antioquia), Nairo Quintana y Esteban Chávez (Colombia es Pasion 4-72),

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10587&Itemid=74

this seems pretty serious and was held very quiet for a long time. coldeportes is talking about having a pct team, a ct team and 2 more satellite teams in colombia. also having corti is manager is excellent as he was great director of barloworld and saeco in their strong years and he knows contacts and what it takes to make it in europe.

Well after four years and EURO $12 Millons... nothing!! Exactly what you could expect from Corti. A very good deal for him and that's it..

As for the Conti team, good work on some brilliant talents, like Henao and Gaviria, but on the dark side, two doping cases in this year ( Maria L Calle and Salvador Moreno). Wonder what would happen in another country being Coldeportes the anti doping agency in Colombia..

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
PATOMACPATO said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
names announced: Juan Pablo Suarez, Rafael Infantino y Edward Beltrán (EPM-UNE), Víctor Hugo Peña, Luis Felipe Laverde, Jarlinson Pantano, Juan Pablo Forero, Robinson Chalapud, Dalivier Ospina (Colombia Es pasión 4-72),Wilson Marentes (Formesan Panachi Indersantander), Edwin Parra (Boyacá Orgullo de América), Carlos Julián Quintero, Frank Osorio (GW Shimano).

riders being talked with: Janier Acevedo (Gobernación Indeportes de Antioquia), Nairo Quintana y Esteban Chávez (Colombia es Pasion 4-72),

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10587&Itemid=74

this seems pretty serious and was held very quiet for a long time. coldeportes is talking about having a pct team, a ct team and 2 more satellite teams in colombia. also having corti is manager is excellent as he was great director of barloworld and saeco in their strong years and he knows contacts and what it takes to make it in europe.

Well after four years and EURO $12 Millons... nothing!! Exactly what you could expect from Corti. A very good deal for him and that's it..

As for the Conti team, good work on some brilliant talents, like Henao and Gaviria, but on the dark side, two doping cases in this year ( Maria L Calle and Salvador Moreno). Wonder what would happen in another country being Coldeportes the anti doping agency in Colombia..

+1
i completely agree.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
fauniera said:
Why don't they let Saldarriaga run the team? I never understand that. Does he have no standing in the colombian federation?

Saldarriaga will lead a new, reinvented, CT Manzana Postobon team in 2016. And they would like to be PCT in a couple of years.

The original link comes from http://altimetriascolombia.blogspot.ca/2015/10/team-colombia.html#more
It started an opinion article in the main Colombian newspaper, where the writer presented parts of the reality from the Team. Then Hector Urrego, a lead cycling journo, who actually benefits from the team attacked the article in his radio program.
So many people from La Ruta del Escarabajo and Altimetrías de Colombia put something longer together.

The hosting for La Ruta is not reliable and they are looking into alternatives.

Regarding the article it says:
Team budget gets 3M from the Colombian Government. (slosada: I read 3.8M is total budget including Italian sponsors and other Colombian institutions) and compares the results with Caja Rural running on a smaller budget.
Later it goes to reveal how the changed the goals of the team (to return to the highest level in cycling) to promote young talents (but 12 out of 19 riders are over 26 years old)
Then it mentions all the victories in 3 years and ZERO in 2015.
After that, the article analyses the calendar and says it doesn't go beyond 4 months and more than 50% were on "Waiting for invitation" state.

The team look amateurish the way they manage many things, like when they sent 6 riders to Trentino, and how the calendar doesn't fit the characteristics of the riders or simply they select the wrong type of riders because the goal is not to win, just to show the maillot and the bike brand.

Next paragraph explores constant delays in rider wages and how cyclists look to escape from the team even if that means to return to Colombia.

The Team management is stingy, it took too long to buy powermeters and they are one of the cheapest and really unreliable (ibike)

Same goes for the the plane tickets, and they are forced to stay in Italy paying rent from their own pocket, and losing the benefits of altitude training at home. This even goes from January and February when they can't ride outdoors. If riders want to train in Colombia they should pay their own tickets.

<<<<< cutting here I have to leave >>>>>>

janraaskalt2 said:
I read that Manzana-Postobon wants to go PCT as well. How do those 2 teams compare in terms of finance, management, riders and fans?

They want to turn PCT in the future, not for 2016 I think. They are much better organised also when they were riding in Europe in 2014. I think Colombia has like 1.5 - 2 times the budget of Manzana but thats just a guess from me.

Too easy though to blame it all on Corti.

"La culpa no es de los ciclistas (como seguramente argumentarán los defensores de Corti) sino del staff técnico, la dirección deportiva del T-Colombia. Materia prima abunda aquí. La prueba son los Nairos y Rigos, que bien manejados rinden al máximo nivel. La culpa es exclusiva de un manejo mezquino e incompetente."

While I won't claim that Corti is competent, that his management ist perfect, the fact is that the team simply doesn't get the talent. What do Uran and Quintana have to do with the talent of the guys in the team? Nothing really. Unless those morons (the writers, because with such an idiotic argumentation they certainly outed themselves as clueless morons) think that every Colombian has the talent of Uran or Quintana And the ones that were regarded as talented actually delivered, Atapuma, Chaves, Pantano, Duarte (ok, not lately and in his case not sure how much another DS would help). Chalapud delivered too.. Duque 2014 actually had the best season in years. A big big part of the problem is the riders. Not saying that another DS wouldn't do better with these guys, but if Colombia isn't getting better talent... the best DS won't change the situation.

Team Colombia simply doesn't get the talent. The fault is most likely partly Cortis but also the simple fact that Colombians are back. Without Uran, Quintana, others now get direct offers from WT teams, a few years back they might have signed for Colombia even with Corti there. (Henao maybe.. directly to Sky, without the trailblazers he might have passed unnoticed and gone to Colombia). Team came a few years to late.

As for Saldarriaga who's always mentioned here... I have no clue how good he is, no problem believing that he's better than Corti.. but it's not like his team did any better in its European season. Actually if anything it did worse than Corti with almost the same riders did one year later. Compare 2011 with 2012.. 2012 simply was better than 2011. Quintana won the mountain jersey in Catalunya ... yeah! That's about it. Of course the young guys were a year younger, which makes a difference, had Saldarriaga been in command in 2012 I guess the results would have improved too. Or been better than with Corti. But still in the same league.

Still firing Corti and getting somebody else doesn't sound like a bad idea... His reputation clearly isn't all that good (even before Colombia), having him there might convince some Colombians not to join the team. Get a new, more popular guy. Saldarriaga for all I care, or anybody really. But the general quality of the team won't change much. The big talents will go to Etixx, Astana, whatever directly.

That is a comprehension issue, no one is saying that every rider will be Nairo or Rigo, it's simply that they don't get to perform at their OWN best level (like the two mentioned there do).

The lack of results is abysmal, even if, as you say, they don't get to recruit the best talent, then you can ask why riders don't want to sign for them, even having one of the biggest budgets of the ProConti div.

Reasons are many, and some are explored in the article:
- Training INDOORS in Italy early in the season instead of at altitude at home
- Bad training and racing program
- Bad equipment
- Horrible tactics during races (they were forced to go on breakaways just to show the bike brand and they sometimes select the wrong riders based on the type of races).
- Lack of opportune salary payment

Why would a rider prefer going back and race as amateur in Colombia?
But you mentioned Pantano, and he looked a much better rider this season, a proof that his training in the Team was somehow limiting his performance. Even Chalapud rivaled weird competitors (to say the least) in Colombia.

Ah, and Saldarriaga developed some guys like Nairo, Chaves, Pantano, Atapuma... Won two Tours de l'Avenir, and some other minor races even without the budget that Corti gets.

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Latest 8 races of Fabio Duarte (no more comments):

DNF Giro dell'Emilia (1.HC)200 more
DNF Gran Premio Città di Peccioli - Coppa Sabatini (1.1)197.9 more
DNF Il Lombardia (1.UWT)245 more
DNF Milano-Torino (1.HC)186 more
37 Tre Valli Varesine (1.HC)198.5 more
DNF GP Industria & Commercio di Prato (1.1)185.8 more
DNF Memorial Marco Pantani (1.1)199.5 more
DNF Coppa Agostoni - Giro delle Brianze (1.1)198.2 more

Re:

pianomagic said:
Latest 8 races of Fabio Duarte (no more comments):

DNF Giro dell'Emilia (1.HC)200 more
DNF Gran Premio Città di Peccioli - Coppa Sabatini (1.1)197.9 more
DNF Il Lombardia (1.UWT)245 more
DNF Milano-Torino (1.HC)186 more
37 Tre Valli Varesine (1.HC)198.5 more
DNF GP Industria & Commercio di Prato (1.1)185.8 more
DNF Memorial Marco Pantani (1.1)199.5 more
DNF Coppa Agostoni - Giro delle Brianze (1.1)198.2 more
Sad to see this! Good rider who should of left for a bigger team but decided to be a big fish in a small pond

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Or latest 5 races of Cayetano Sarmiento (another ex-WT Team in the team Colombia):

DNF Giro dell'Emilia (1.HC)200
DNF Milano-Torino (1.HC)186
DNF GP Industria & Commercio di Prato (1.1)185.8
DNF Coppa Bernocchi (1.1)192
DNF Coppa Agostoni - Giro delle Brianze (1.1)198.2

In this team this year I would only save the younger ones (Martínez, Molano, Ramírez, Díaz, Brayan Ramírez, maybe Ávila) and the ones with some presence (Carlos Quintero, Rubiano, Torres, Duque). In particular, Torres and Quintero are better each year.

Cano in my oppinion was disappointing, but I know he had some health issues...

On the other hand, I think Atapuma was much better in team Colombia than in BMC. So, not all the riders are better outside the Team than in the Team, but I'm also thinking that Atapuma prepared the Vuelta riding for some days with the riders of Team Colombia... :)

Anyway, those months training in small rooms of Bergamo while snowing outside are the key on the performance of the team.

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re:

StryderHells said:
I don't know about that, Atapuma has finished 2 GT's this season and finished 7th in the GC at Catalunya which is some good work
OK, he had good showings, but with Team Colombia he won stages of Trentino and Pologne (World Tour), and made some other good performances (California, Portugal, Presidential Tour), all the team worked for him as a leader. In BMC he had some good performances, but all working for the team leaders. Maybe this is the main reason to have a colombian team.

Re: Re:

pianomagic said:
StryderHells said:
I don't know about that, Atapuma has finished 2 GT's this season and finished 7th in the GC at Catalunya which is some good work
OK, he had good showings, but with Team Colombia he won stages of Trentino and Pologne (World Tour), and made some other good performances (California, Portugal, Presidential Tour), all the team worked for him as a leader. In BMC he had some good performances, but all working for the team leaders. Maybe this is the main reason to have a colombian team.
Totally agree with you but money talks and that's why he's at BMC, Atapuma was fun to watch at Colombia and deserves more chances at BMC so let's hope next season he gets a free role at the Giro because a couple of the mountain/medium mountain stages would suit him perfectly.
As far as a Columbian WT team, who's going to find the cash? And then how do they recruit riders to support the sponsor, the big Columbians all look happy and stable at this stage with Euro teams

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

pianomagic said:
StryderHells said:

you forget that this year atapuma went back racing after a bad injury, a fracture of the femur.
its role at bmc is different from the one he had at the team.

there is no racer that was doing better at the team than in the team they moved after coldeportes, both at international level and national level.

corti management is a complete failure