• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Commonwealth Games doping thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 2, 2010
Visit site
SundayRider said:
Depends on the sport really, soem of the sports the standard is actually pretty high. Take triathlon for instance, most of the strong nations in that sport are at the games minus USA and Europeans obviously.

Also for sports like lawn bowls & squash that aren't in the Olympics. All of the major netball nations participate. The hockey competition is usually reasonable, only really missing the Netherlands & Germany as the strong nations.

BradCantona said:
In rank of importance, gold at the Commonwealth games is roughly equivalent to passing your driving test, or getting a free toy in your cereal. If you're going to all the effort of doping to try and get one, you're doing life wrong

When you wrote this it reminded me of this performance from Cram in 1986, watch the way he jogs round for three laps then despite giving away a number of metres he decides its time to strecth his legs and wins with ease doesnt really celebrate unlike the bronze medal guy.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
BradCantona said:
In rank of importance, gold at the Commonwealth games is roughly equivalent to passing your driving test, or getting a free toy in your cereal. If you're going to all the effort of doping to try and get one, you're doing life wrong

I think you're being a little flippant! There is a certain dominating TdF champion who showed his prowess by taking 5th in the Commonwealth TT in the 2012. The Commonwealth Games, and taking a middling placing in the TT, is one of the single best predictors of GT success..."passing you driving test"...you will respect Froome's authoriti!

del1962 said:
When you wrote this it reminded me of this performance from Cram in 1986, watch the way he jogs round for three laps then despite giving away a number of metres he decides its time to strecth his legs and wins with ease doesnt really celebrate unlike the bronze medal guy.
Yes, my friend, that is quite a contrast to the 1500m run
at the 1974 Christchurch NZ Commonwealth Games.
Bayi (Tanzania) and Walker (New Zealand) both
broke the World Record and Jipcho (Kenya) in
3rd, Dixon (New Zealand) in 4th and Crouch
(Australia) in 5th recorded the 4th, 5th and
7th fastest 1500 performances of all-time.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
well, the 4x100 womens freestyle(swimming) just set a WR. clean ofcourse. Australian swimmers. I have already been chewed out numerous times by implying they are as dirty as a Festina team car, so I will merely say, they are completely clean. completely. They dont even need to take any tests.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
well, the 4x100 womens freestyle(swimming) just set a WR. clean ofcourse. Australian swimmers. I have already been chewed out numerous times by implying they are as dirty as a Festina team car, so I will merely say, they are completely clean. completely. They dont even need to take any tests.

What are you talking about? Only those dodgy Chinese/East European countries dope their swimmers!

The Dutch record was done in the fast swimsuits. BBC commentator was saying how happy he was everytime the fast suit records were broken as they provided an unfair advantage.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Earlier this week, Hooper said the Games were using an "anywhere, anytime" testing regime, which focused on a targeted approach at the Games and out-of-competition testing in the lead up.

He said medal winners were not necessarily being tested at these Games, but estimated about 1000 athletes would be randomly tested during competition.

Tests conducted prior to the beginning of the Games have already resulted in the suspension of two Welsh athletes - European 400m hurdles champion Rhys Williams and 800m runner Gareth Warburton.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/teen-fails-games-doping-test-20140729-3cs60.html

:confused:

I wonder what balance of positives historically have come from medal winners versus targeted testing. Those who do fail are failing an "intelligence test" correct ?

This may be a good thing, we have to assume the authorities (UKAD in this case) know what they are doing, better to have everyone on their toes all the time than knowing exactly where and when (and who in the medal winners) gets the majority of the tests.

Sep 29, 2012
Catwhoorg said:
I wonder what balance of positives historically have come from medal winners versus targeted testing. Those who do fail are failing an "intelligence test" correct ?

This may be a good thing, we have to assume the authorities (UKAD in this case) know what they are doing, better to have everyone on their toes all the time than knowing exactly where and when (and who in the medal winners) gets the majority of the tests.

Given the article is about a 16 year old gold medal winning weight lifter, I am going to have to say no. They might be saying it for strategic purposes, but if you aren't testing medalists, then why bother testing at all.

Unlike cycling where doms do their job and drop out, in this instance, those guys coming 10th are not doing what they were meant to do (IMO) - ie win. The podium getters are.

Tired and thinking slow so might change my mind on this, but for individual sports, I think podium testing should be required.

16 year old Nigerian. How much money does she make picking up heavy thing?

I would point out that medal winners "not necessarily being tested" is someway between.

All medal winners tested.
No medal winners tested.

I am sure a decent chunk of them still are being tested. Probably all of them in high risk sports like weight lifting, athletics and cycling

Sep 29, 2012
Catwhoorg said:
I would point out that medal winners "not necessarily being tested" is someway between.

All medal winners tested.
No medal winners tested.

I am sure a decent chunk of them still are being tested. Probably all of them in high risk sports like weight lifting, athletics and cycling

And I am saying all of the medal winners should be.

The high risk sports are any sports that end with a letter in the alphabet.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well no C Games medals for Ryder, but his buddy Doper-McGrath (2002, 2006) and Green (2002 gold) brought home some hardware. Interesting to go back and look at the names of C Games cycling medalists in the 2000`s in light of what has come to light since.

ChewbaccaD said:
I think you're being a little flippant! There is a certain dominating TdF champion who showed his prowess by taking 5th in the Commonwealth TT in the 2012. The Commonwealth Games, and taking a middling placing in the TT, is one of the single best predictors of GT success..."passing you driving test"...you will respect Froome's authoriti!
Oh lol, yeah I remember, Brailsford and then Walsh claiming froome coming 17th in the 2006 Commonwealth games was proof he could tt:D:D:D:D

blackcat said:
Australian swimmers are as pure as the driven snow - ask any reputable sports journalist.

The first journo to try and make anything worse than the Stilnox issue stick will be legally and literally lynched.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Australian swimmers are as pure as the driven snow - ask any reputable sports journalist.

The first journo to try and make anything worse than the Stilnox issue stick will be legally and literally lynched.
no, the Stilnox issue serves a real purpose. deflection and diversion.

the fact that swimmers will indulge in prescription and recreational drugs is no surprise when they are downing PEDs like a foie gras duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXhEZe1e1M

blackcat said:
no, the Stilnox issue serves a real purpose. deflection and diversion.

Entirely true. So many buy the story that the whole Stilnox issue was a way of dealing with the lifestyle and pressure that simply got out of hand.

blackcat said:
the fact that swimmers will indulge in prescription and recreational drugs is no surprise when they are downing PEDs like a foie gras duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXhEZe1e1M

None at all, if you accept what you're looking at. It's hilarious how teflon coated high profile swimmers are here. Earlier this week a few different people at work were making all the standard doping comments about the Tour and Nibali winning all three GT's eg: "must take some heavy duty drugs for that etc."

Question how the 4x100m relay team smashed a speedsuit WR though? Half the office shouted me down in seconds :rolleyes: