• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Comparing the routes of the 2015 Grand Tours

Compare the routes!

• They're equal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Now that they have all been presented... which is best? which is worst?

NOTE: On paper. Assume best field ever for every GT. Don't wanna read stuff like "...this route sucks but there will be riders X and Y so it will be awesome"

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
this, pretty much. :)

Giro is best route, there's no doubt. The Vuelta and Tour aren't too far apart, I think the Vuelta is let down by a few major flaws. Big transfers, too many MTF again, but it has Andora.

I looked through all routes last week already:

Giro: a bit back-loaded, first proper mountain stage is after the stage 14 ITT. Nice stages though. 6/10.

Tour: everything is wrong with it in my opinion. Cobbles for the second year in a row, TTT with uphill finish on 9th stage after a hard first week, very few individual TT kms, no descent finish. 3/10.

Vuelta: Would have liked one less MTF earlier on and instead a MTF in the last 5 stages. Like the ITT and the descent finishes. 7/10.

So Vuelta > Giro >>> Tour but now that I think about it it's probably more like Vuelta = Giro >>> Tour. Giro should have had a proper mountain stage in the first two weeks, Vuelta should have a MTF in the last 5 days.

LaFlorecita said:
I looked through all routes last week already:

Giro: a bit back-loaded, first proper mountain stage is after the stage 14 ITT. Nice stages though. 6/10.

Tour: everything is wrong with it in my opinion. Cobbles for the second year in a row, TTT with uphill finish on 9th stage after a hard first week, very few individual TT kms, no descent finish. 3/10.

Vuelta: Would have liked one less MTF earlier on and instead a MTF in the last 5 stages. Like the ITT and the descent finishes. 7/10.

So Vuelta > Giro >>> Tour but now that I think about it it's probably more like Vuelta = Giro >>> Tour. Giro should have had a proper mountain stage in the first two weeks, Vuelta should have a MTF in the last 5 days.
Campitello Matese is a proper mountain stage. For the Vuelta standards, at least.

We talking about the Tour d'España and La Vuelta a Francia?

Anyway, Giro>>>Vuelta>>>>Tour. Giro is a good route, a little bit too backloaded and lacking some cool medium mountain stages. Vuelta is better than normal, with even descent finishes this time but way too many pointless one climb hill sprints.

The Tour route is just a piece of garbage I try not to think about. Every single member on this forum would've come up with something better than that excuse for a GT route.

Gotta admit Mauro Vegni is doing one heck of a job, without the PR bull****s of Mr. Acquarone.
The Giro route reign far above the rest again. Balanced and nicely textured.

Still I'd give the Tour route a chance, could be interesting with the upcoming battles.
Vuelta? The reign of absolute boredom to me.

Giro >>> Tour >> Vuelta

Eshnar said:
Indeed... That's because it sucked.

Was the Zoncolan stage in 2011 bad? No.

Have you ever even seen an Aprica stage?

I haven't, I just don't see how a 15km long drag is better than a MTF or a downhill finish. To me it seems like everything will most likely come back together, if there are any important escapees at all of course.

Red Rick said:
Flo, I know Contador wasn't there, but that was the best race day I ever saw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olourOnSBnw

And what are the chances of that happening again next year?:)

LaFlorecita said:
Was the Zoncolan stage in 2011 bad? No.
Was it good? No. It was a pretty average stage. Will only be remembered for the mess of the Crostis cancellation.

LaFlorecita said:
I haven't, I just don't see how a 15km long drag is better than a MTF or a downhill finish. To me it seems like everything will most likely come back together, if there are any important escapees at all of course.

And what are the chances of that happening again next year?:)
Happened every single time besides 2008.

TRENDING THREADS