• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Compatibility Shimano 9/10 and SRAM - upgrades for Cervelo P2C

I was given a used TT bike (cervelo p2c) with FSA krank, ultegra 9 speed and profile design bar+xtensions. And I have a shimano 10 speed powertap wheel. would like to upgrade and to use the powertap wheel. For upgrade, weight is a concern, as the terrain around here is hilly, and I'm kind of skinny (and weak...). Need help concerning compatibility and suggstions for upgrade.

1) It seems to work having the 10speed wheel, if I just turn the knob on bar-end shifters so they don't have indexing. But, is it a prolem with the 9-spedd chain on the 10-speed wheel?

2) I don't like the shifters. The sram shifters seem very nice. Other suggestions? But would they be compatible with shimano derailleur?

3) or, would sram derailleur be compatible with my shimano 10-speed dura ace wheel?

4) would sram bar-end shifter be compatible with the fsa sl-k crank?

5) What do you recommend for brake levers? What does 'reverse action' brake levers mean?

6) aero bar: I don't like current setup, and find the front heavy. the easton attach seems incredibly light, but expensive. Do you have other recomendations?

7) I feel it would still be comfortable to be lower and further forward. But, looking at photos it seems many pro-Tt guys have upper part of their arms vertical - not stretching forward. Does tihs mean I should aim for vertical upper arms rather than forward stretching arms?
(I'm a complete weekend warrier, so have no access to or justificaiton for professional fitting.)

8) how far behind the edge of the arm-rest-pad should the pointy bit of my elbow be? How close to my knees should it be?

9) I currently have stem for 26mm. Is this ok or should I shift to 31.8mm?

10) I have zipp 303 wheels. Would it be a noticable difference to have deeper section? How would deeper section wheels behave on fast curvy decents?

Sorry for the ramble and many quesitons. hopefully the answers will be of interst to others as well.
Thanks

hmronnow said:
I as given a used TT bike (cervelo p2c) with FSA krank, ultegra 9 speed and profile design bar+xtensions. And I have a shimano 10 speed powertap wheel. would like to upgrade and to use the powertap wheel. For upgrade, weight is a concern, as the terrain around here is hilly, and I'm kind of skinny (and weak...). Need help concerning compatibility and suggstions for upgrade.

1) It seems to work having the 10speed wheel, if I just turn the knob on bar-end shifters so they don't have indexing. But, is it a prolem with the 9-spedd chain on the 10-speed wheel?

-Yes, you ought to use a narrower 10s chain.

2) I don't like the shifters. The sram shifters seem very nice. Other suggestions? But would they be compatible with shimano derailleur?

No, must match the rear derailleur with the shifter, sram-sram or shimano-shimano. shimano, having a friction option, is a better choice, IMO. The front der doesn't care.

3) or, would sram derailleur be compatible with my shimano 10-speed dura ace wheel?

If mated to sram shifters.

4) would sram bar-end shifter be compatible with the fsa sl-k crank?

Yes

5) What do you recommend for brake levers? What does 'reverse action' brake levers mean?

brake levers for the end of cow horn bars, like these.

http://www.bicycle-touring-guide.com/bicycle-handlebars.html#cowhorn

6) aero bar: I don't like current setup, and find the front heavy. the easton attach seems incredibly light, but expensive. Do you have other recomendations?

Fit, comfort is key, not weight.

7) I feel it would still be comfortable to be lower and further forward. But, looking at photos it seems many pro-Tt guys have upper part of their arms vertical - not stretching forward. Does tihs mean I should aim for vertical upper arms rather than forward stretching arms?
(I'm a complete weekend warrier, so have no access to or justificaiton for professional fitting.)

No, comfort is more important than aero-ness.

8) how far behind the edge of the arm-rest-pad should the pointy bit of my elbow be? How close to my knees should it be?

9) I currently have stem for 26mm. Is this ok or should I shift to 31.8mm?

26mm staems are fine. Unless carbon, 31.8 handlebars are an answer to a not asked question.

10) I have zipp 303 wheels. Would it be a noticable difference to have deeper section? How would deeper section wheels behave on fast curvy decents?

Wind and deeper rims are the issue.

Sorry for the ramble and many quesitons. hopefully the answers will be of interst to others as well.
Thanks

No problema