• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Compatibility...

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
anyone know if the new shimano 105 or ultegra shifters will work 'ok' with a 10 speed campy cassette?...maybe better than ok?...i do have an old set of shimano bar end shifters, eight speed, that work perfect on an 8 speed chorus cassette...

I'm thinking of buying a new ride, probably with 105 (on a budget)...a 2010 or 2011 rig, maybe a specialized roubaix...for club rides, solo rides...no racing...and i have an older set of wheels with campy record 10 speed hubs...so, i was wondering if i could use 'em...

thanks for any advice, tips, bike related or otherwise :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It works fine. Although I've only done the Campy shifters with Shimano Cassette's but it works no matter what the groupset fashion police says and you don't need some weird pulley on the derailure either. Sure sometimes the shifting is not dead on but it works and maybe you need some finer tuning but it works.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
It works but always noisey and anoying never perfect but you can get away with it for training , Try it and see what you think if you are happy its OK.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
ok guys, thanks for the info...

had an idea this morning...i was thinking i might swap wheel myself when i take bike on test ride...lbs has bike to take for a day or two so i can see if i like it, pick it up saturday, return it on tuesday, ride bike on my training routes...it's a specialized roubaix with ultegra...can't hurt much to swap the wheel, I mean cassette or chain...

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
It'll work - but having used both sets of shifters, I'd put Veloce or Centaur on anything that had 105s. The Campy hoods are just so nice on the hands, and I like the thumb lever to boot.

TRENDING THREADS