• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Conflict of interest

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Earlier this year, the Schleck brothers secretely negotiated with a new team, and confirmed they would leave at the end of the season when the news leaked out. Now, Their manager, Bjarne Riis, is negotiating with alberto contador about joining his team next year. To top it all of, Riis' new sponser is runmoured to be specialized, the bike currently conveying team Astana around the french countryside.

What does this all do the Andy and Alberto's psyche?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Really this would apply to any manager in the pro peloton. All of them have conflicting interests concerning riders, sponsors and supporting staff, everyone is partly dependent on one another and people need to remain diplomatic and on good terms with most, for you never know what the future brings and on what team you'll be, or what rider you'll have in your team in coming years.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sure Barrus, but it used to be those things could wait till the world championship / fall classics time of year. The middle of the Tour is a bit early for these shananigans.
If andy feels a bit lonely, he only has himself to blame of course. On the other hand, Riis did a great job with Carlos Sastre in 2008 when it was already known he was leaving for Cervelo.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Gcraenen said:
Sure Barrus, but it used to be those things could wait till the world championship / fall classics time of year. The middle of the Tour is a bit early for these shananigans.

Most of the contract negotiations have already started during or before the tour and most of the deals are being closed or made during the tour

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Obviously if the rumours are true Riis is going to be less disappointed to see Contador win the Tour than he would be otherwise, but I still think he would prefer to have his current riders win the Tour as opposed to his future riders, even if it's a done deal, so I don't think there the conflict of interest is that big. Besides, what is Riis supposed to do? Not try to hire someone to replace the Schlecks?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I cant blame Riis for going after Cpontador, especialy with a new sponsor who has already shown great interest in Alberto. But will Alberto have the support he needs for a Grand Tour ride on a depleted Saxo Bank > Specialized team?

Would Quickstep be a better option for him?

May 3, 2010
www.ror-zone.com
Would love too see Riis get his hands on Alberto, and watch him thumb it to the shlecks next year, imagine alberto riding behind Canc and Voigt, that would be a sight to make many teams jealous on the flat stages. And in the hills, Riis can hire a moterbike and bring bottles direct to the front of the field, who needs mountain domestiques!

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If Riis successfully courts Contador to Saxo Bank, I'm pretty sure they would rebuild a team around him for the grand tours. Astana was able to do it for this season without much trouble. Contador's help from his team has been great, even with Vino's personal ambitions being a wild card at times.

Personally, I would like to see Coontador go with a Spanish team. Footon Servetto has impressed me with their representation in many of the breakaways in this tour.

Call me old fashioned, but I would like to see a Vino lean Astana, Contador lead a Spanish team, Wiggins lead Sky, etc. You get the picture.

A return to true national teams in the tour doesn't seem like a possibility, but the composition of teams led by riders form the nation of origin would be cool.

The Schleck's leading a Lux team is a big step in that direction.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:
Would love too see Riis get his hands on Alberto, and watch him thumb it to the shlecks next year, imagine alberto riding behind Canc and Voigt, that would be a sight to make many teams on the flat stages. And in the hills, Riis can hire a moterbike and bring bottles direct to the front of the field, who needs mountain domestiques!

I agree! It is a little early in his career for AS to play the prima donna like that.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
David Suro said:
If Riis successfully courts Contador to Saxo Bank, I'm pretty sure they would rebuild a team around him for the grand tours. Astana was able to do it for this season without much trouble. Contador's help from his team has been great, even with Vino's personal ambitions being a wild card at times.

Personally, I would like to see Coontador go with a Spanish team. Footon Servetto has impressed me with their representation in many of the breakaways in this tour.

Call me old fashioned, but I would like to see a Vino lean Astana, Contador lead a Spanish team, Wiggins lead Sky, etc. You get the picture.

A return to true national teams in the tour doesn't seem like a possibility, but the composition of teams led by riders form the nation of origin would be cool.

I agree with the idea of "national" leaders for the respective sponsors, although clearly the sponsors are trying to appeal to as wide an audience as they can.

I must however object most strongly about your support of Footon Servetto on sartorial grounds. Those flesh coloured unis belong in figure skating, not cycling!!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Conflict of interest why? Unless you are dating your DS (e.g. LA and JB) chances are that you are always keeping your eyes open for other opportunities. This not only applies to professional athletes but any professional engineer, doctor, lawyer, etc. Its part of the game.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Conflict of interest why? Unless you are dating your DS (e.g. LA and JB) chances are that you are always keeping your eyes open for other opportunities. This not only applies to professional athletes but any professional engineer, doctor, lawyer, etc. Its part of the game.

Not an appropriate comparison. Those professions - except lawyers - are governed by ethical rules designed to elliminate CoI. Behind-the-back negotiations are not acceptable. Which is why I lamented the current trend of negotiating earlier and earlier in the season.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
indurain666 said:

That being said, Lance and Johan do make a cute couple, dont they?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:

fully agree about national teams that would be so cool.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Gcraenen said:
Earlier this year, the Schleck brothers secretely negotiated with a new team, and confirmed they would leave at the end of the season when the news leaked out. Now, Their manager, Bjarne Riis, is negotiating with alberto contador about joining his team next year. To top it all of, Riis' new sponser is runmoured to be specialized, the bike currently conveying team Astana around the french countryside.

What does this all do the Andy and Alberto's psyche?

the rumors are bs. contador says with astana.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you think Alberto will miss the Astana "After Tour" Party and spend the time with his new team?

Heck, maybe Vino will not even invite him lol.

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree with Ryo... AC does not seem like someone who likes change. Staying with Astana for the 2010 season when he had a green light move, proves this. Although it is tantalizing to see AC with Riis. I also wonder if the other Saxo top men FC et al would move with the Schlecks

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Gcraenen said:
That being said, Lance and Johan do make a cute couple, dont they?

Not nearly as cute as Alberto and Vino. :D
I think AC will stay with Astana next year.

Riis was probably not so gung-ho about Andy because of behind-the-scenes tension in the Saxo camp due to the Schlecks creating that new Lux team with Kim Andersen. Remember before the Tour when Bjarne was criticizing Frank for having been working behind his back since January?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Gcraenen said:
I agree! It is a little early in his career for AS to play the prima donna like that.

Bear in mind that Barney R was having difficulties locating suitable sponsors when the Shrecks started laying the groundwork for their new gig...