• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Conta-do over? Will ban be reversed?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Aldirto fanmen coming out of the woodwork. Bottom line is nobody in their right mind actually believes Contador is clean. If you like him and therefore want to see him escape a sanction, fine. Don't act as if he doesn't dope though.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Not sure what you've been expecting to hear or read about it.
The article was received by the international press.
Its veracity has never been refuted in any press release afterwards.

But still even people in Belgium has not seen the article printed in Humo also none of the international press printed anything more than just the blurb that was posted on the internet site of humo.

Also I never said he should not be sanctioned. Quite frankly I believe he did ingested it through blooddoping. However plasticizer are not to be taken into account and the Humo article never really existed.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
Sigh. The test is not validated, and won't be for some time.

Oh dear. The test is validated and currently in use in the Food and Drink Industry where it has more important applications than those under discussion here. WADA are attempting to fast track the test validation for their purposes. Heaven only knows how long it will take though.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
But still even people in Belgium has not seen the article printed in Humo also none of the international press printed anything more than just the blurb that was posted on the internet site of humo.

Also I never said he should not be sanctioned. Quite frankly I believe he did ingested it through blooddoping. However plasticizer are not to be taken into account and the Humo article never really existed.

I guess I can agree with you on these statements.

LugHugger said:
Oh dear. The test is validated and currently in use in the Food and Drink Industry where it has more important applications than those under discussion here. WADA are attempting to fast track the test validation for their purposes. Heaven only knows how long it will take though.

The plasticizer test has not been fully validated in human testing applications. Testing the plastic content of packaging is an entire different matter.

From the Velonation article:

While the method has not yet been fully validated, WADA Director General David Howman said several days before the New York Times article that the test can be used as partial evidence of doping.

He told AP that a general test for plasticizers was, "fully validated and has been used in the food industry for years. Its use for anti-doping purposes is partially validated and evidence from it, among others, can be used before tribunals.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7...ation-Contador-case-linked.aspx#ixzz1DbBL7wVp

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
GJB123 said:
Please elaborate why De Boer is more than dubious.

Regards
GJ

De Boer said this back in May about Fuyu Li's positive-
“Laboratories must be able to find 1.00 ng/mL, while a normal threshold value is considered to be 2.00 ng/mL. The value of 0.05-0.10 ng/mL that was found in Fuyu Li’s body points clearly in the direction of a contamination. On top of that, such a low dose would not help his performance in any way.”

This is false, as there is no threshold - the 2.0ng is the minimum requirement performance level (MRPL) for detection of prohibited substances .

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
The plasticizer test has not been fully validated in human testing applications. Testing the plastic content of packaging is an entire different matter.

From the Velonation article:

Thank you.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
De Boer said this back in May about Fuyu Li's positive-

This is false, as there is no threshold - the 2.0ng is the minimum requirement performance level (MRPL) for detection of prohibited substances .

De Boer is also in charge of the Vacansoleil internal testing. Did a good job catching Riccò.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Lanark said:
De Boer is also in charge of the Vacansoleil internal testing. Did a good job catching Riccò.

To be fair, Ricco hasn't been at Vacansoleil for very long. It may have been his first attempt at doping with them. It's certainly not long enough to get a grasp of his blood values.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
now, here’s the thing that bothers me. what overwhelming evidence could he have submitted to the panel in the 10 day appeal window (mind you, we’re talking about the events settled months ago) that he could not have submitted 10 days earlier ? simply put, why did he not submit the exculpatory evidence right away ?

this all stinks of a political settlement and i’m starting ( for the first time in this case) to distrust contador’s lawyers and the rfec’s professionalism.

‘let’s give him an illogical one year showing to the world the spanish are tough on doping, then let’s look wise and prudent because we’ve seen more information……….and let the chips fall whre they may‘

strange to say the least..

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
python said:
this all stinks of a political settlement and i’m starting ( for the first time in this case) to distrust contador’s lawyers and the rfec’s professionalism.

Why distrust Contador's lawyers? Their job is to do the best for Contador, not to reveal the truth.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
#2 Plasticizers. Fahey said in Paris just today that the test STILL isn't ready to be validated. And in the October 4 New York Times article, they realized from the unknown person not at liberty to talk about the matter that the alleged plasticizers were on July 20, a day when there was zero Clenbuterol. Contador has enough blood tests, including during the Tour, to show there was no manipulation. There was also no mention of plasticizers in the six hundred pages submitted by the UCI and WADA. It doesn't exist in the legal case.

I'm puzzled by your comment about Contador's blood tests. Have those results ever been released, or are you assuming they show no manipulation because UCI has not brought a passport case against him?

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Interesting CN article. Perhaps the ban will be reversed.

contador ban to be overturned

Contador is still suspended and not banned as the one-year ban is a proposal made by the Spanish Cycling Federation. It's not legally binding. Apparantly there is new evidence that backs Contador's explanation how the Clenbuterol entered his system. -- It only would be a logic decision to reverse the verdict. :cool:

The RFEC's ruling proposal mentioned Contador's documents showed the transfusion theory to be highly improbable. These documents apparently were at odds with whatever WADA had (which would be more along the lines of what we've been discussing here). Honestly until we see those documents we don't have much to go by.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Yes, they've always been said to be "all over the place", hence his very direct targetting at the TdF and his getting caught red handed!

This is the first I've heard of this. Can you provide a link that supports this claim? I'd be quite curious to see how this info was obtained and of course the source is highly likely to be an anonymous one, that is if you have anything of substance to support this.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:

Mambo95 said:
To be fair, Ricco hasn't been at Vacansoleil for very long. It may have been his first attempt at doping with them. It's certainly not long enough to get a grasp of his blood values.

Made no easier by the fact that he also has a TUE for high H-crit values.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Interesting CN article. Perhaps the ban will be reversed.

I'm not surprised at all. Way back in late October or early November I said that RFEC wouldn't ban him.

I'm not going to jump ahead just yet but if this is true that there is no ban then things could get really interesting.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
#2 Plasticizers. Fahey said in Paris just today that the test STILL isn't ready to be validated. And in the October 4 New York Times article, they realized from the unknown person not at liberty to talk about the matter that the alleged plasticizers were on July 20, a day when there was zero Clenbuterol. Contador has enough blood tests, including during the Tour, to show there was no manipulation. There was also no mention of plasticizers in the six hundred pages submitted by the UCI and WADA. It doesn't exist in the legal case.

Just because a test isn't validated doesn't mean WADA cannot use it. There could be a reason why plasticizers were in his urine and not clenbuterol.

For one, he could have used a transfusion and then topped off later with a second, but smaller 300ml packet of blood that contained trace amounts of clenbuterol from previous use that contaminated his 2nd transfusion.

Plasticiers and clenbuterol have different half lives so you wouldn't necessarily expect to find them in the same test even though they were taken at the same time.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
#3 Contador DID file a complaint with the government. Repeat, he DID file a complaint. The Basque government used the tracking system the media tells us is foolproof, and were unable to find the right source. There's reason to believe it didn't pass through the normal chances. Their best of three guesses is it came from a place that was busted for Clenbuterol in 2000.

#4 Farmers are arrested in Spain every year for using Clenbuterol.

Contador never proved the clenbuterol came from the meat. How come Contador never tested any samples of the meat, but WADA did (the tests were all negative)?

Can you explain to me why Contador's team didn't test any meat?