• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Conta & Evans early form...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Contador was attentive to late attacks at Paris-Nice to seal the deal. Evans is staying agreesive and near the sprinters in T-A. How does this bode for the other contenders?

Valverde was good in Paris Nice as well. Samuel Sanchez too in lesser content. Gesink and Nibali have been good, but not super, in the Tirreno.
Kreuziger also, good but not super.
Wiggins and Menchov were pretty conving in Murcia.

I don't really think Contador and Evans 'stick out'. Many contenders are good already

Leipheimer and Armstrong have been dissapointing so far. Klöden was pretty decent, but is not the expected contender.
Kirchen is nowhere...
The Schleck brothers are not very good as well, Andy had a good reason though, and for Saxo Bank also Fuglsang or Sörensen haven't been able to show something good so far.

Does it really matter in the end? No.
The Tour is in Juli, not March.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
The 1999-2005 era created the famous myth that the GT contender should only peak in July, and not winning anything in the first part of season.

I am glad that Contador totally destroyed that myth.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Bert takes down Valverde 1-1

One of the reasons this is a huge result for Contador is he managed to defeat an in-form Valverde. Contador doesn't have that many victories over Valverde when they are contesting the same race...

Paris-Nice is one of those races where Contador has been stronger in recent years. Notch one for Contador--the big races are what matters and he just won the big race.

ludwig said:
One of the reasons this is a huge result for Contador is he managed to defeat an in-form Valverde. Contador doesn't have that many victories over Valverde when they are contesting the same race...

Paris-Nice is one of those races where Contador has been stronger in recent years. Notch one for Contador--the big races are what matters and he just won the big race.

He did beat Valverde in the 2008 Vuelta and on that race's queen stage up the Angliru. Also the 2007 Tour, Valverde I believe finished 6th to the eventual race leader Contador.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
ludwig said:

Well the last time when Valverde defeated Contador was the last year's edition of Dauphine Libere, IIRC. Other than that I can't remember when Valverde was stronger than Contador, only on one-day races, but he is clearly much stronger in that department.

And also remember Tour de France, Tour of the Basque country, Vuelta Castilla y Leon-in all that races Contador was much better.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Contador has been impressive in his wins at Murcia and P-N but Evans???!!! Come on, the bloke had one dig today - this is akin to saying Armstrong will win the TdF because he showed his face at the Cancer Classic FFS.

bianchigirl said:
Contador has been impressive in his wins at Murcia and P-N but Evans???!!! Come on, the bloke had one dig today - this is akin to saying Armstrong will win the TdF because he showed his face at the Cancer Classic FFS.

Evans still believes there is a chance for him taking the overall with Scarponi appearing "weakened" on today's final climb. Scarponi apparently was injured by a fall caused by a collision with 2 of his teammates on an ascent late in the race. Evans' hard drive to the line had me wondering why he was giving his break companions such a perfect lead out but as I read in a recent cyclingnews report and posted on another thread, he was trying to gain time on Scarponi and/or avoid allowing his break to be swept up by the chasing peloton. I thought it was another example of his questionable tactical sense but I was mistaken.:eek:

Angliru said:
He did beat Valverde in the 2008 Vuelta and on that race's queen stage up the Angliru. Also the 2007 Tour, Valverde I believe finished 6th to the eventual race leader Contador.

In the '08 Vuelta of course Valverde had put himself out of contention by dropping back to get a rain jacket just before a crash split the field, then setting off like a greyhound to chase back, leaving his whole team behind and knackering himself, before being spewed back to the second péloton. It was also then that Euskaltel executed a bit of rough justice by helping Astana distance Valverde, after Caisse had fought to stop a break getting too far ahead so Leipheimer would have the maillot oro and have to defend it, which would have stopped Euskaltel getting the leader's jersey. Oh, the heady days of when Valverde was a lovable idiot. I'm not saying Contador wouldn't have beaten Valverde anyway (he beat him on Angliru and again the following day when they had an agreement Valverde would take the stage, but he bonked), but if the Valverde of late 2009-early 2010 was back then maybe he'd have been a lot closer.

Then again, in the 2009 Dauphiné it's more than likely Contador wasn't really trying, thinking about the Tour, whereas Valverde of course was out to prove a point. Valverde will beat Evans regardless, because Evans has a mental hex re: The Green Bullet.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Then again, in the 2009 Dauphiné it's more than likely Contador wasn't really trying, thinking about the Tour, whereas Valverde of course was out to prove a point. Valverde will beat Evans regardless, because Evans has a mental hex re: The Green Bullet.

Contador had said, before the 09 Dauphiné, that his sole objective would be to stay on Evan's wheel the whole time. (I think he said it was a training goal -- dieseling practice :D.) For my money it was also a fine bit of psych warfare against Evans and did get him :mad: or at least steamed.
Of course it helped Valverde in that Contador countered most of Evan's attacks, which created talk of collusion.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Evans still believes there is a chance for him taking the overall with Scarponi appearing "weakened" on today's final climb. Scarponi apparently was injured by a fall caused by a collision with 2 of his teammates on an ascent late in the race. Evans' hard drive to the line had me wondering why he was giving his break companions such a perfect lead out but as I read in a recent cyclingnews report and posted on another thread, he was trying to gain time on Scarponi and/or avoid allowing his break to be swept up by the chasing peloton. I thought it was another example of his questionable tactical sense but I was mistaken.:eek:

That's what I like to hear. Generally Contador goes to PN with some strong form. His goal is the tour. Evans is also building up but his goal is the giro and then possibly the tour. TA and PN are different kind of races as well.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
seeing Evans attack, at all, in any format, shows something.

Despite his new stripes, Evans is perhaps one of the most overrated racers in quite a long time. IMHO

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Agreed - it's taken Evans a very long time to get over losing the Giro in 2002 and his palmares are pretty poor for someone so relentlessly touted as a contender.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
seeing Evans attack, at all, in any format, shows something.

Despite his new stripes, Evans is perhaps one of the most overrated racers in quite a long time. IMHO

In that case I would struggle to find (m)any less overrated riders (and that is before you filter out the enhanced ones!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Nearly said:
In that case I would struggle to find (m)any less overrated riders (and that is before you filter out the enhanced ones!

You're kidding, right? He's clean 'cos he's Aussie?

Conta is showing great form. I thought Evans' tactics questionable, Scarponi issue notwithstanding. All the good riders are showing good form, save the Radioshack team who appear in hibernation still.

How good is Sagan? Just when you see an EBH or whoever and think -'there is the future of cycling' - someone else comes along as well. Be interested to follow his career!

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Agreed - it's taken Evans a very long time to get over losing the Giro in 2002 and his palmares are pretty poor for someone so relentlessly touted as a contender.

On my overrated list, I think he is on top.

Mick Rogers is also quite high, as is the new Basso. Cunego has been hyped again and again but seems to shrink under pressure. I feel Levi is well overrated.

anyways, early form seems to be more common possibly from today's pros not taking huge chunks of time off the bike, with better/smarter nutrition. Teams need their stars to who up ready to race, with sponsors looking to extract every jigger of value out of their investment. With the global economy in such a state, keeping a sponsor in the press with early season race results would be important.

auscyclefan94 said:
That's what I like to hear. Generally Contador goes to PN with some strong form. His goal is the tour. Evans is also building up but his goal is the giro and then possibly the tour. TA and PN are different kind of races as well.

Like the new avatar auscyclefan94................go team BMC.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
How is evans over rated, he is touted the unviversal contender and he universally contends. He's only be the favourite at the tour once 2008. Look at his palmares every year, he ranks very high. Using cq quotient 3rd last year, 4th in 2008, 1st in 2007...the only way you could over rate him is think that he is contador.

However on topic, contador is the only one showing dangerous form for me. Thus far he has picked where he will take time and taken it, setting up 2 overall wins. Evans...sure he attacked but he is 4th on GC behind a team mate of Contador. Many others are riding well, but there appears to be a clear gap between contador and everyone else again. I would think coming in to a grand tour, almost any GT with everyone entering (hypothetical) we'd all rate Contador 1st, and there'd be heated argument about 2nd. Schleck and Armstrong yet to show anything, but they only seem to do well in targetted races.

Good start to the season I think. Great to see Sagan showing there is more than just one next big thing.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
You're kidding, right? He's clean 'cos he's Aussie?

Conta is showing great form. I thought Evans' tactics questionable, Scarponi issue notwithstanding. All the good riders are showing good form, save the Radioshack team who appear in hibernation still.

How good is Sagan? Just when you see an EBH or whoever and think -'there is the future of cycling' - someone else comes along as well. Be interested to follow his career!

Clearly the Sagan's, EBH etc are the very exciting future of cycling but they are also highly rated. In fact many have come and gone without getting anywhere near Evans' palmares over the same time frame - how many 2nds at the TdF and World Championship wins do you need to get a contender rating? OK he may not have the kick of some but nor do they have his consistency/longevity.

As for tactics - yes you can question them but when you lack that kick your choices are limited. Evans similarly lit up the queen stage of the Tour Down Under this year through an attack which just failed to drag him (or LLS and Valverde who double teamed him and ultimately beat him) into the lead. Deja vu but bad tactics?

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Evans over rated as a TDF contender? Not really, I think Valverde, Basso, F Schleck are way more over rated.

Let’s be honest though, if the media pump anyone up to be a winner this year over Alberto then they will be deemed as over rated, A Schleck is the only possible exception.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
Well the last time when Valverde defeated Contador was the last year's edition of Dauphine Libere, IIRC. Other than that I can't remember when Valverde was stronger than Contador, only on one-day races, but he is clearly much stronger in that department.

And also remember Tour de France, Tour of the Basque country, Vuelta Castilla y Leon-in all that races Contador was much better.

Contador wasn't defeated by Valverde when riding the Dauphine last year. Alberto was simply not interested to win the race. He helped Valverde to defeat Evans by his own free will. -- Contador wanted to win the Tour and not the Dauphine after he came back from a break after winning the Tour of Basque Country.