• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador a replica of Lance Armstrong:))??

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
yeah, and today contador proved why he is NOT lance armstrong. he lost too much time, practically losing chances to win paris-nice for the second time.

i also noticed that contador didnt drink or eat anything for a very long time. i think he payed the price today for it. armstrong made this mistake once and he was done. but he knew about his mistake and has never done it again. contador has learned his lesson today.

the whole astana team dissapoints.. popovych was totally absent. even cadel evans, who's not in a top shape, did better than them. i dont understand their strategy. if they want contador to win the race it cannot be only for contador to work. caisse d'espargne had two riders in front all the time, while popovych abandoned contador at the very beginning. armstrong wouldnt forgive.

livestrong girl. said:
yeah, and today contador proved why he is NOT lance armstrong. he lost too much time, practically losing chances to win paris-nice for the second time.

i also noticed that contador didnt drink or eat anything for a very long time. i think he payed the price today for it. armstrong made this mistake once and he was done. but he knew about his mistake and has never done it again. contador has learned his lesson today.

the whole astana team dissapoints.. popovych was totally absent. even cadel evans, who's not in a top shape, did better than them. i dont understand their strategy. if they want contador to win the race it cannot be only for contador to work. caisse d'espargne had two riders in front all the time, while popovych abandoned contador at the very beginning. armstrong wouldnt forgive.

I disagree, I think Contador will surpass Armstrong as a rider. Yes Lance won an amazing 7 tours but rarely competed in other events (other than the Dauphine, etc), whereas Contador has already won all 3 Grand Tours. 3 years younger then when Armstrong won his first TDF, I might add. While at this point, everything is purely speculation - I wouldn't be surprised if Contador ends up surpassing Armstrong's palmares. He may not beat the 7 TDF record, but he will prove to be a much more rounded rider.

While Astana's performance was pitiful, you cannot compare the form they are in to the one they will have in July. (Not to mention, that out of all the riders at P-N, only 3 of those guys will be back: AC, Pop, Zubeldia)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
livestrong girl. said:

Popovych was disgraceful as a main helper...again!, this bloke doesn't seem to have the team mindset at all, Just like last year with Silence-Lotto when he is needed he dissapears and then when it's about him he grows an extra leg. I would think Johan would have put a question mark next to his name for this years TDF squad.

Make no mistake, what we saw today was an epic battle.

Contador made one big mistake and that's all it took.
Sanchez asked him to contribute to the group of 3, (+Colom)
to stay away from the chasers. Bertie refused.
Result? Up came Schleck, Voigt and Chavanel. Disaster.
Up against 5 men with a shot of the GC. Left to close down everybody,
he simply ran out of gas.

For the more simplistic amongst us:
Don't dare to compare Lance to Contador under these circumstances.
When have you ever seen Armstrong, surrounded by GC contenders, without support, over an hour from the finish of a major race? Never!

Contador got worked over twice, today. Once by his opponents and once by his team.....or rather lack of one. Nobody even in the straggling peloton.
I wouldn't be surprised if Alberto isn't getting told exactly "how it is," at Astana, just about now.
Time to practice carrying water bottles, I'd say. Lance and his chum Johan are probably falling over themselves with laughter.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
New realities

I think this stage showed us (and Astana) that the old tactics dont work. You can't put your team on the front day in day out like the old days and expect them to be there at the crunch. We saw pretty much the same thing last year when Rabo tried to protect Gesink and he ended up alone on the Ventoux. Even if Bruyneel has no intention of supporting Contador in the Tour, there's no reason not to here. Unless he's even a bigger *** than I thought.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps Contador has learnt acting lessons from Armstrong. Perhaps he was ordered to lose to take the suspicion of doping off him. He was looking too strong too early. Ah his human again, mustn't be a doper.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

When have you ever seen Armstrong, surrounded by GC contenders, without support, over an hour from the finish of a major race? Never!

Contador got worked over twice, today. Once by his opponents and once by his team.....or rather lack of one. Nobody even in the straggling peloton.
I wouldn't be surprised if Alberto isn't getting told exactly "how it is," at Astana, just about now.
Time to practice carrying water bottles, I'd say. Lance and his chum Johan are probably falling over themselves with laughter.

I think Lance was isolated many times in TdF 99 and TdF 2000 without teammates before the last climb. Thats why they hired Chechu and Heras.

But your point I agree with, the team wasnt there at all.
THere was a lot of horse trading going on and Contador got taken by Sanchez. If Contador missed lunch, Sanchez ate rocket fuel.

He absolutely got worked over.
Too bad.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

Armstrong was isolated on stage 8 of the 2005 TdF. He was the only Discovery rider in a 30-man group on the final ascent of the Col de la Schlucht. It was not even a summit finish.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
well couple mistakes / bad things happend.

-his team support was non existent...The DS should have write a check to antoher team to help out(that's nothing new...Salvodelli in the Giro..paying Lotto)

- underestimating his contenders ...If what he said in the interview is true, then he needs to learn alot
"In the breakaway, we(Sanchez) spoke and he said he'd try to win the stage. I agreed with this idea because I was convinced I could let him go and keep the gap to the minimum. He wouldn't threaten my lead. When he attacked with 15 kilometres to go, I had no sign yet of the coming hunger flat."

- Okay he bonk...this can happend to anyone but just shows again he needs to learn.

great racing, super interesting!!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
This is the difference betwen Lance and Contador!!! When Lance has a bad day he loses seconds, when Conti has a bad day he loses minutes!

Fell sorry for Conti today! He does'nt heva a big body, he has to be resourcefull with his reserves. Where was the TD?! Contador rode almost alone all day:mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfLQVNavI8Q, watch the video.
name "Lance Armstrong Bonks! he lost more than 2 minutes after bonk:eek:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
FLOYD ES INOCENTE said:
Conti is one who learn from Armstrong as so many others so is hard to compare:cool:

Mr.Contador is going to learn alot about this Lack but not by Lance Armstron carere. is going to learn of INDURAIN, MERcKx and COPPI.

by the way FLOY is the mre S****r cyclist i ever seen.

shnhdsn said:
Armstrong was isolated on stage 8 of the 2005 TdF. He was the only Discovery rider in a 30-man group on the final ascent of the Col de la Schlucht. It was not even a summit finish.

Not even close in comparison.
Apart from the fact it was a couple of KMs from the top of the climb, then downhill all the way, only Vino and Kloden attacked and not with any conviction.
As you said yourself, a 30 man group, not 6 and not all GC contenders left alone.

Once, early in the race. Pretty insignificant at that. I've seen him race-and win in similar circumstance at the Midi Libere. Just not the same as having no team support on 4 days out of 8.

What about Disco in the rest of the race? This is where George Hincapie climbs so well, his name began getting mentioned in the press as a potential winner in 2006.

Belokki: Likewise. Look at things more objectively.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
+ Armstrong won the race he BONKED in;):D

True, and there was some decent riders attacking him that stage, I think it was Ullrich, Virenque and Heras.....and they were all juiced up I spose aswell...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
JavierOtxoa said:
" Contador a replica of Lance Armstrong ?"
No, Contador is too nice.:D I dare to ask: Lance Armstrong a replica of John Goti??:rolleyes:

WTF?!! TO NICE??? He critisised his team mate of being to close to him in the clasification, he treathend to leave his team if he's not guarantied leaders role in his team ( did not want to foght for it) ! He's nice until things go his way, if not he's an arrogant, whiny, *****! Was a bit angry when he bonked the other day but hey, I saw that coming.
Believe it or not Lance is a more likeble caracter, a more complex one and a greater champion! Never a whiner, and has a leaders mentality! THATS what Contador lack and thats what Lance suggested he learn! To be a Leadern, not always riding with a silver spoon in your mouth...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I don't like Contador because he makes cycling boring.

But maybe there is a chance, as the speaker of Eurosport Germany said today: those climbing mountains as easily as Contador are often found on lists other than the GC ...

I think it would be good for cycling, if it were true.

Sorry, but that's the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.
Contador being caught would be devastating. Cycling would lose it's last tiny bit of goodwill it has left.

For the rest of your argument: Ok, the bulls won every year. But watching Jordan play was always a treat. Almost art.
Same thing goes for Real Madrid with the superb Zidane.

A guy like Contador makes riders just behind that more motivated to take the crown. Just look at the face of Seeldraayers when he saw Contador being picked up by his group in the saturday stage. Priceless.

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
Sorry, but that's the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.
Contador being caught would be devastating. Cycling would lose it's last tiny bit of goodwill it has left.

For the rest of your argument: Ok, the bulls won every year. But watching Jordan play was always a treat. Almost art.
Same thing goes for Real Madrid with the superb Zidane.

A guy like Contador makes riders just behind that more motivated to take the crown. Just look at the face of Seeldraayers when he saw Contador being picked up by his group in the saturday stage. Priceless.

So even if he is doping, he shouldn't get caught for the good of the sport? If I made a statement like that, I wouldn't throw around the "that's the dumbest thing I've heard" stone.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
So even if he is doping, he shouldn't get caught for the good of the sport? If I made a statement like that, I wouldn't throw around the "that's the dumbest thing I've heard" stone.

He says he's hoping contador is on some dopinglist because he's making cycling boring.

that's what i replied to.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If Contador makes cycling boring, then Armstrong made it robotic and skull-numbingly boring--except if you like that kind of thing.

TRENDING THREADS