• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador apologizes on youtube

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The more I think about these "unwritten" rules, the more I disagree.

Why should there be a rule that you don't attack the leader when he has a problem? Is this something unique to French culture? It is a race after all. The first one across the finish line wins.

I'm trying to imagine say NASCAR having a rule like this. Who'd watch an auto race if everyone stopped racing when the leader had a problem? Blow a shift on a restart? Too bad. Blow a tire? Too bad. Blow your engine? Too bad.

Good for AC. Time to dump these stupid "rules".

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
It's 'Murrica. And it's Urp. And it's Ricky Bobby. :)

My prediction: Contador will stop right before the finish line and let 39 seconds pass before crossing it. Mark it down.

Nah, time to put the screws to AS. Whiney little *****.

Roadrage said:
The apology probably is sincere, but the damage is done. You can't compare stage two (where Cancellara in fact did the pace slowing) and stage three to what happened today. The big difference being Andy had the yellow jersey. To attack it when he had a mechanical problem is cheap and unethical.
And I was just starting to like Contador....

Cheap yes, but unethical under the circumstances when it was caused by the rider's inopportune shift...I don't know.

Then there's the fact, as Shleck's own team manager Riis said, that it took Schleck quite some time to get it sorted out. I mean, really, in the heat of the moment when the Tour is possibly on the line, which rider would have just soft peddled for the time necessary for Andy to get back into full swing?

Even nobility has its limits. And athlete's aren't paid to be saints, nor stupid. Just saying. ;)

PS. I'm quite sure Alberto isn't very happy to have taken the yellow jersey in this fashion. I'm also rather sure than between taking it in this fashion and, not taking it (ie. waiting for his unfortunate rival), he'd have opted for the former; which makes his appology at the very least a bit insipid, at the most a somewhat vile political calculation. And in any case Andy will probably hate him even more now, for the added insult of placing the onus of publict tact on his defeated shoulders.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Its all a psychological mind-****....

You can't be to much of an *** because cyclists need to cooperate with each other at times. Flicking somebody when they are down and then apologizing immediately afterwards gets Bertie 39 seconds and keeps AS from feeding off his anger and disappointment. This makes Contador the king of the mental game.

Why do you think he went out of his way to be friends with little Andy? Why do you think he gave Lance a watch to thank him for his "support" last year? Why did he hug Vino after attacking him and stealing the stage win?

Its alot easier to attack somebody you dislike....

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
(pretty hilarious acoustic guitar intro)

Hello everyone. Today I managed to get on the podium, that makes me happy. The problem with that was the circumstances. Right when I attacked Andy had a mechanical in the last climb. The race was in full gear and, well, maybe I made a mistake, I'm sorry. At a time like that all you think about is riding as fast as you can. I'm not happy, in the sense that, to me, fair play is very important. Just like I did in the Spa stage, when both Andy and Fränk were behind the pack, I didn't hesitate to stop the bunch so that they could catch up. Many people criticized me for doing that, especially after the stage on the cobbles, when the crash happened and the whole bunch split as a result, and it allowed Andy to take time on me, but I always settle it by saying I'd do it again. The kind of thing that happened today is not something I like, it's not my style and I hope my relationship with Andy will remain as good as before.

(outro)

Good translation. He sounds embarrassed, but I can't buy his words because that's not the actual sequence of events.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ι think there's only one way he can make things right, although not so feasible. He can start his final TT 39'' after the time he has to start. And I think he can afford that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
santacruz said:
Do you guys look at this as a nice guy apologizing, OR PR control because he knows the public views him in a negative light after what he did?? I won't be duped into forgiving AC, he is just using youtube to take away some of the damage he did to his own image. This video isn't private, and he could have easily apologized to AS in private, but he wanted the world to see it... eff that self serving snake.

PR deffo a PR job. If he was sincere he would have got on the saxo bus and apologised in person, but he could have slowed everyone down on the descent or asked the others too wait for the MJ if he speaks the truth of that is what he would have done had he known, he knew his DS would have seen it live in the team car and shouted "attack now", so AC knew what was up.

PR crap, straight out of the Pubic Stratalies handbook!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Its a bicycle race FFS! I get so sick of etiquette and sportsmanship getting thrown around every time someone has a mechanical and someone else is pedaling too quickly. Or someone has to pee and everyone else should slow down. Sh!t happens. Mechanicals, crashes, injury, tired muscles, bad tactical sense, bad weather, plain old being tired...etc, etc, etc. Look what happened to Eugene Christophe. When someone gets a flat in auto racing they don't stop or slow down and wait.

Ok, I don't want to rant on and on but this is competitive sport, not a friendly walk in the park. I don't think Contador needed to apologize for anything. He did absolutely nothing wrong. I'm sorry for Andy Schleck in that he lost time but that is the nature of the sport at times. Suck it up, move on, ride harder and faster tomorrow. Good grief.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
(pretty hilarious acoustic guitar intro)

Hello everyone. Today I managed to get on the podium, that makes me happy. The problem with that was the circumstances. Right when I attacked Andy had a mechanical in the last climb. The race was in full gear and, well, maybe I made a mistake, I'm sorry. At a time like that all you think about is riding as fast as you can. I'm not happy, in the sense that, to me, fair play is very important. Just like I did in the Spa stage, when both Andy and Fränk were behind the pack, I didn't hesitate to stop the bunch so that they could catch up. Many people criticized me for doing that, especially after the stage on the cobbles, when the crash happened and the whole bunch split as a result, and it allowed Andy to take time on me, but I always settle it by saying I'd do it again. The kind of thing that happened today is not something I like, it's not my style and I hope my relationship with Andy will remain as good as before.

(outro)

Yeah, right Bertie. You ride up on a guy standing on the road struggling with his chain, get off the seat and attack hard around him all the way to the summit. Now you are trying to kiss his ***. Way to go!! Pity you didn't think about your "mistake" over the time it took you to crest the summit of the climb and maybe allow him to get back on on the downhill.

Contador IS Sorry - - -

He really is, just not for the reason that he stated. He's sorry because his reputation took a hit. I've been watching the Tour for as long as US TV has been airing it and NEVER, not once, have I heard the crowd Boo anyone during each day's podiums - not even Lance. That the crowd Boo'd Contador while he was putting on the yellow jersey is stunning!

Contador only made it worse when while he was getting Boo'd he chose that time to do his 'pistol' move. Talk about inappropriate behavior!!! That move alone shows that Contador was/is not sorry for taking advantage of Schleck's chain problem. If he honestly felt badly for the way he took the yellow jersey he would have made his time on the podium has short as possible and gotten the hell off that stage. Contador's YouTube apology was done for PR purposes only. When offering a sincere apology you apologize directly to the person you wronged and certainly don't announce to the world that you will make the apology before having done so.

Also, really people, all of you making the excuse that Contador attacked before Schleck lost his chain, what race were you watching? I've seen that video replayed from every angle available and at regular and slo-mo speeds. It is blatant that Contador does not make a hard push until he sees that Schleck is practically stopped and looking down at his chain. He was making his way back up to Schleck and Vino but he was doing so from a seated position on his bike. Once he saw Schleck looking down, that's when he jumps out of his saddle and goes full force! Look at Vino's face, even he was surprised to see Contador take off. Menchov and Sanchez hadn't even moved yet. If Contador had sat up and motioned to Menchov and Sanchez and everyone else, that no one should attack until Scleck was back - I honestly believe neither would have continued to attack. Schleck was the yellow jersey and Contador was sitting in 2nd place not that far behind. If the rider with the most to gain is willing to wait, the other two would almost have been obligated to. If Contador was waiting and those 2 had gone their time in the Peloton for the rest of the Tour would have been pure misery.

At the end of the stage, if Contador had just come right out and said he was there to win the Tour and you do what you must to do so, he could have at least come out of this with some dignity.

Finally, once and for all people, stage 3 with the cobbles is a different beast from anything else in the race and every single rider knew that going into the day. When riding cobbles it's every person for themselves because it really doesn't matter how good a rider you are! The cobbles are all about survival. As for stage 2, Contador also benefited from Cancellara's slow down. It took him a good 15 minutes to catch back up that day and he joined a group with Armstrong that swelled to about 20 riders before catching on to Cancellara's group. If Cancellara hadn't slowed down, Contador would most likely still be trying to make up the time. As would Armstrong, Schleck, Levi, Evans and most of the main GC contenders. Complain about things you don't like or don't think are fair but at least get the facts straight before you spout off.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
irritated_cycling_fan said:
He really is, just not for the reason that he stated. He's sorry because his reputation took a hit. I've been watching the Tour for as long as US TV has been airing it and NEVER, not once, have I heard the crowd Boo anyone during each day's podiums - not even Lance. That the crowd Boo'd Contador while he was putting on the yellow jersey is stunning!

Contador only made it worse when while he was getting Boo'd he chose that time to do his 'pistol' move. Talk about inappropriate behavior!!! That move alone shows that Contador was/is not sorry for taking advantage of Schleck's chain problem. If he honestly felt badly for the way he took the yellow jersey he would have made his time on the podium has short as possible and gotten the hell off that stage. Contador's YouTube apology was done for PR purposes only. When offering a sincere apology you apologize directly to the person you wronged and certainly don't announce to the world that you will make the apology before having done so.

Also, really people, all of you making the excuse that Contador attacked before Schleck lost his chain, what race were you watching? I've seen that video replayed from every angle available and at regular and slo-mo speeds. It is blatant that Contador does not make a hard push until he sees that Schleck is practically stopped and looking down at his chain. He was making his way back up to Schleck and Vino but he was doing so from a seated position on his bike. Once he saw Schleck looking down, that's when he jumps out of his saddle and goes full force! Look at Vino's face, even he was surprised to see Contador take off. Menchov and Sanchez hadn't even moved yet. If Contador had sat up and motioned to Menchov and Sanchez and everyone else, that no one should attack until Scleck was back - I honestly believe neither would have continued to attack. Schleck was the yellow jersey and Contador was sitting in 2nd place not that far behind. If the rider with the most to gain is willing to wait, the other two would almost have been obligated to. If Contador was waiting and those 2 had gone their time in the Peloton for the rest of the Tour would have been pure misery.

At the end of the stage, if Contador had just come right out and said he was there to win the Tour and you do what you must to do so, he could have at least come out of this with some dignity.

Finally, once and for all people, stage 3 with the cobbles is a different beast from anything else in the race and every single rider knew that going into the day. When riding cobbles it's every person for themselves because it really doesn't matter how good a rider you are! The cobbles are all about survival. As for stage 2, Contador also benefited from Cancellara's slow down. It took him a good 15 minutes to catch back up that day and he joined a group with Armstrong that swelled to about 20 riders before catching on to Cancellara's group. If Cancellara hadn't slowed down, Contador would most likely still be trying to make up the time. As would Armstrong, Schleck, Levi, Evans and most of the main GC contenders. Complain about things you don't like or don't think are fair but at least get the facts straight before you spout off.

The argument and even the facts(or interpretations there of) are very complicated, but you have put it pretty near perfectly, I'm not well at the moment so can't think and write straight at the same time, you've done it for me.

People under stress do the most inappropriate things, I knew a girl who laughed uncontrollably every time some thing bad happened to people, injuries, tripping and such like. She was also a drunk and not in any way in touch with her emotions. It will all come out in the wash, yellow, white and reddy green, that'd be a puky pink cocktail.

irritated_cycling_fan said:
Also, really people, all of you making the excuse that Contador attacked before Schleck lost his chain, what race were you watching? I've seen that video replayed from every angle available and at regular and slo-mo speeds. It is blatant that Contador does not make a hard push until he sees that Schleck is practically stopped and looking down at his chain.

Sorry, but... are you fücking blind ? From 0:03 to 0:07, left side of screen where you can clearly see Contador's counter-attack before that amateur overshifting problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9OR-Pz2Yk

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Too much emotion everyone.
Schleck had Contador under pressure. He goes to change into the big chainring and chain comes off. Vino rides past, Contador rides past a few secs later can see that Schleck is almost stopped and Contador attacks. Schleck gets his chain back on but its too late. Contador only looks back when he's near the top but doesn't slow. Race over.
It is usual if the yellow suffers a problem not of his doing for the race to wait. Whether once a year cyclists think that its ok or not doesn't come into it - there are plenty of precedents.
Contador knows this and apologises after a spur of the moment decision to attack - good of him to acknowledge a mistake. Whether some people think its genuine or not.
No whinging from AS, just promises to hurt AC in stage 16.

SpartacusRox said:
Yeah, right Bertie. You ride up on a guy standing on the road struggling with his chain, get off the seat and attack hard around him all the way to the summit. Now you are trying to kiss his ***. Way to go!! Pity you didn't think about your "mistake" over the time it took you to crest the summit of the climb and maybe allow him to get back on on the downhill.

Wow, now we have altered reality to the point where Contador was still behind when Schleck got off to replace the chain which he had knocked off the sprocket. You my friend must live in a bizarre parallel universe where things appear as you want them to be rather than as they are. But I know, Lance says Contador bad so you must believe.

hfer07 said:
but Saxo team & Andy didn't have any problem attacking Chavannel who was wearing the MJ after having crashed, punctured, & bike changed on stage 3...
I think Andy's luck just ran out today-can't stretch it for too long...

+1
Where was the outrage when this happened to Chavanel? Is there a double standard at play here?

scribe said:
What do you mean? I've read where Riis doesn't make too much of the situation, even though I think he's gotta regret losing the tour because of it.

Riis is thinking of the future building of his soon to be depleted team. By staying relatively neutral he leaves his options open in recruiting Contador in the future should he leave Astana.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Riis is thinking of the future building of his soon to be depleted team. By staying relatively neutral he leaves his options open in recruiting Contador in the future should he leave Astana.

I see a lot of politics at play with many of the opinions on yesterday's situation. This probability certainly takes consideration. Why burn a bridge if the situation doesn't affect you?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
+1
Where was the outrage when this happened to Chavanel? Is there a double standard at play here?

We beat this to hell yesterday. You might have a stronger argument that they left Contador behind the carnage, than a Chavanel that was always gonna finish this race 30 minutes behind the leaders.

Tyler'sTwin said:
Actions speak louder than words.

That's really not comparable at all. It's cobbles ffs! You cannot race on cobbles if you're gonna wait when someone's affected by a crash or flat, which would make having a pavé stage totally pointless. It's nothing like launching a ferocious attack in the mountains BECAUSE the MJ had a mechanical.

In other words you're blind to reason and can only see the pro-Andy side.

Karma is a mf. Came back to bite them right in the rear.

TRENDING THREADS