• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador blasts LA

frizzlefry said:
Looks as if AC finally snapped and got tired of being picked on. What a baby. Man up and drop your nuts AC. LA may only have 1, but at least he uses it.

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/96109/contador-rips-armstrong

I'd like to see the transcript first. Seems an odd thing to say since he said that Lance was his idol at one point.

As for your comment, I don't recall you ever telling Armstrong to man up and stop whining in the press. Funny how that works out.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
Looks as if AC finally snapped and got tired of being picked on. What a baby. Man up and drop your nuts AC. LA may only have 1, but at least he uses it.

Seems to me as though one ain't enough to beat him though. And dividing a team and it's resources didn't work either. Seems to me that AC is more than man enough to do his talking on the road. No Twa*ter required.

coppiman said:
All he says is that it was tense between the two. He never said a word all the way through the Tour, letting his legs do it for him.....unlike some.

I think this is the portion that Fizzlefry is latching onto:

My relationship with Lance is non-existent. Even if he is a great champion, I have never had admiration for him and I never will," the Spaniard told a news conference in Madrid.

Seems an odd thing for Contador to say since he had previously said that he idolized Lance at some point. I'd be interested in seeing the transcript.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about that Frizzle. Contador had to put up with a lot of head games these past three weeks, from his own teammate and DS. Twitter posts, not so subtle shots at Contador in the media, taking away his car prior to the ITT. One could also say that Lance was being a baby by playing games when it became obvious that his legs alone could not win him the tour. In this article, Contador merely says he lacks admiration for Lance. Hardly the most provocative statement. No doubt we'll learn a lot more about what really happened once the 2010 contracts are all sorted out.

I loved the way Lance won his 7 tours. He was the most organized, the best prepared, and he looked his opponents in the eye and challenged them to keep up. They could not. The way he played around in this year's tour is a sorry addition to his legacy. Nevertheless, his 3rd place finish after a 3 year absence makes his palmares even more impressive.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Seems an odd thing for Contador to say since he had previously said that he idolized Lance at some point. I'd be interested in seeing the transcript.
You starting to at least see that what the dude is talking about doesn't add up? He is a squirrel.

scribe said:
You starting to at least see that what the dude is talking about doesn't add up? He is a squirrel.

Not at all. I'm recognizing that mistranslations happen all the time. Now if he said he lost all admiration for him as a result of events, that would make more sense. But saying that he never admired him just seems at odd with prior statements.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Not at all. I'm recognizing that mistranslations happen all the time. Now if he said he lost all admiration for him as a result of events, that would make more sense. But saying that he never admired him just seems at odd with prior statements.

Fair enough, but I caught that as well.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'd like to see the transcript first. Seems an odd thing to say since he said that Lance was his idol at one point.

As for your comment, I don't recall you ever telling Armstrong to man up and stop whining in the press. Funny how that works out.

Yea its funny how you guys on here paint a certain picture for LA but not for other riders that do the same thing when they run their mouths in the press. ie.. Cav, AC, Columbia/Garmin, etc....funny how that works out.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Finally he answered to all those rubbish, selfish LA's words, we've heard during TdF. Unlike LA he shows some respect and tries to be modest. When Lance and his cyclist's fanboys cried about AC attacking and other stuff, u werent putting him in pampers. Very objective....NOT

May 13, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:
Finally he answered to all those rubbish, selfish LA's words, we've heard during TdF. Unlike LA he shows some respect and tries to be modest. When Lance and his cyclist's fanboys cried about AC attacking and other stuff, u werent putting him in pampers. Very objective....NOT

If you are looking for objectivity, you came to wrong place.

frizzlefry said:

the original source is from Radio Television Espanola RTVE on his press conference in Spain after his arrival.
Proper translation:
My relationship with Armstrong is none-but independent from his personality, he's a great champion, has won 7 tours and done a great job in this one, but on a personal level(referring to his personality) I haven't had a great admiration towards his, and never will, but again-as a rider-he's a great champion.
for Spanish speakers
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20090727/contador-relacion-con-armstrong-nula/286686.shtml

but then again- what more can everybody expects from "LA's worshiping VELONEWS?

frizzlefry said:
Yea its funny how you guys on here paint a certain picture for LA but not for other riders that do the same thing when they run their mouths in the press. ie.. Cav, AC, Columbia/Garmin, etc....funny how that works out.

I have no idea what you mean. I call them like I see them. If this translation is accurate, then I will agree that it was his first media-related mis-step. As for LA, he's on a whole other level with his media comments.

hfer07 said:
the original source is from Radio Television Espanola RTVE on his press conference in Spain after his arrival.
Proper translation:
My relationship with Armstrong is none-but independent from his personality, he's a great champion, has won 7 tours and done a great job in this one, but on a personal level(referring to his personality) I haven't had a great admiration towards his, and never will, but again-as a rider-he's a great champion.
for Spanish speakers
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20090727/contador-relacion-con-armstrong-nula/286686.shtml

but then again- what more can everybody expects from "LA's worshiping VELONEWS?

Thanks. This helps. Basically, he admires him for his cycling prowess (which was consistent with his prior statements), but thinks he's an A$$ personally. I could see that.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
LA Doucebag

I am so tired of the pro lance (ie - the people who think lance isnt possible the biggest egomaniac cycling has ever seen) garbage, anti AC crap i can hardly stand it. He tried to pull a Hinault but instead ran into someone who new better - AC. The Winner. I hope radioshack blows up on him....

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

Yea, what a baby. The only baby in this tour was LA. See his sad puppy eyes on the podium yesterday. Get that man a tissue.

AC took everything LA threw at him and used it to beat him where it matters - on the road.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
omjbbb said:
I am so tired of the pro lance (ie - the people who think lance isnt possible the biggest egomaniac cycling has ever seen) garbage, anti AC crap i can hardly stand it. He tried to pull a Hinault but instead ran into someone who new better - AC. The Winner. I hope radioshack blows up on him....

Welcome! You'll fit in well here!

TRENDING THREADS