• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador contract has ended, where will he sign next?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where will Contador sign in August?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Fidolix said:
And to add just one: Nuyens, in my opinion there are better alternatives, more interesting and younger.

You realize they use the points from 2 previous years for rankings (determining the sporting criteria), right?

The Hitch said:
So there is a chance Contador wont be at the Tour next year, since saxo are unlikely to make wt?

Ehm, that's pretty much what the discussion is about. ;) We don't know why Berto has signed a 3 year with a team that has this amount of unanswered questions. But it suggests that Riis and Alberto know what they are doing and got it under 'control'.

And.. Let's not rule Saxo out yet. It's only June.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
According to this article http://sporten.tv2.dk/article.php/id-50975004:riis-klar-til-at-gå-i-retten.html?forside Riis hasn't locked up enough sponsors / sponsorship money to actually honor Contador's full contract. So presumably they're hoping to get sponsors who will be able to pay - and if that fails the contract presumably have clauses that allows Contador to get out and sign with another team.

In short, it seems like a contract being on "good faith" for the time being - it seems Contador is genuinely grateful for the support he's received from Riis/Saxo, or he wouldn't be signing something like that when he could get guaranteed money elsewhere.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
You realize they use the points from 2 previous years for rankings (determining the sporting criteria), right?

Yes I do, but if you gonna change the team for the better, you might as well do it right, and as I said, in MY opinion there are better alternatives, some with WT points to. And to be honest, just because hes belgian dosen´t mean I should be impressed with his performance in Vlandern, infact he got dropped, and was his luck somebody else brought him back to the front, so no I´m not that impressed with Nuyens.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Zerak-Tul said:
According to this article http://sporten.tv2.dk/article.php/id-50975004:riis-klar-til-at-gå-i-retten.html?forside Riis hasn't locked up enough sponsors / sponsorship money to actually honor Contador's full contract. So presumably they're hoping to get sponsors who will be able to pay - and if that fails the contract presumably have clauses that allows Contador to get out and sign with another team.

In short, it seems like a contract being on "good faith" for the time being - it seems Contador is genuinely grateful for the support he's received from Riis/Saxo, or he wouldn't be signing something like that when he could get guaranteed money elsewhere.

It also says he now is ready to take the suspension of AC´s points to the UCI meeting next week, and if they wont comply to the WADA code they bring it to CAS. Same time he states not all sponsor contracts are in place but they are working on it... sounds to me he knows more than he say.

Zerak-Tul said:

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Answers quite a few of the questions that were brought up with this news.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So there is a chance Contador wont be at the Tour next year, since saxo are unlikely to make wt?

There must be something going on in the background, otherwise Contador wouldn't have signed. So the necessary money and riders to back everything up, a merger with another team, or assurances from UCI/ASO/RCS that everything will be okay or something like that...

Fidolix said:
It also says he now is ready to take the suspension of AC´s points to the UCI meeting next week, and if they wont comply to the WADA code they bring it to CAS. Same time he states not all sponsor contracts are in place but they are working on it... sounds to me he knows more than he say.

That's really interesting, thanks. :)

I hope Bjarne manages to convince UCI.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
That's really interesting, thanks. :)

I hope Bjarne manages to convince UCI.

hombre-maletin.jpg

It's so easy.:p

Anyway congrats to you.

And thanks Berti for remain loyal

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow this sure came out of left field :rolleyes:

Like he could actually sign for any other team considering its mid season and all teams are stock full with signed rider contracts. Sure they could still dump the riders but a contract would still mean the dumped riders would get their money so signing Contador would of been a full on new expense. All the rumor BS was kind of funny but we all knew he'd be back if at least to finish the season.

Three years, well three years if everything goes well. Whether Riis finds a sponsor or not doesn't mean they're stuck together for three years anyway, since when have contracts in cycling been that solid or unbreakable.

Still think Contador is probably bringing in the next sponsor, mainly to have his say in support riders or just to get support riders.

ElChingon said:
Wow this sure came out of left field :rolleyes:

Like he could actually sign for any other team considering its mid season and all teams are stock full with signed rider contracts. All the rumor BS was kind of funny but we all knew he'd be back if at least to finish the season.

Kind of contradicting yourself here, don't you think...
Btw, 6 teams in total were interested in his signature..

ElChingon said:
since when have contracts in cycling been that solid or unbreakable.

Contracts in cycling are probably one of the sports where the atlethes fullfill them the most. 99% of the times the riders move because of a contract is not being extended...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:
hombre-maletin.jpg

It's so easy.:p

Anyway congrats to you.

And thanks Berti for remain loyal

After sort of screwing Riis by not telling him about the positive during contract negotiations it's nice to see him stick with Saxo.

They still need some other riders to get some points. Maybe AC will help some other team mates gets some points during the early season?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
Kind of contradicting yourself here, don't you think...
Btw, 6 teams in total were interested in his signature..

Contracts in cycling are probably one of the sports where the atlethes fullfill them the most. 99% of the times the riders move because of a contract is not being extended...

You must have images turned off, did you see the rolling eyes smiley? :rolleyes:

Interest sure, but enough money to follow through, nope.

We need a thread on riders/teams who broke their contracts, its rather comical actually. On the road so can't at the moment.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
richwagmn said:
After sort of screwing Riis by not telling him about the positive during contract negotiations it's nice to see him stick with Saxo.

They still need some other riders to get some points. Maybe AC will help some other team mates gets some points during the early season?

He signed nearly one month before UCI told Contador about positive test and asking him to keep it in secret because they thought it was contamination. Similar conclusion CAS gives two years later.

But this is a very old story. I want see him racing.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
ElChingon said:
You must have images turned off, did you see the rolling eyes smiley? :rolleyes:

Yes, I did see your rolling eyes-smiley?

...?

So, you seriously thought another team would actually sign him? They would dump current riders and go to the legal ends to break those contacts and then come up with the money to sign Contador? I do contradict if you think my post statement that the three years are still up in the air as they are unless there is a solid sponsor coming up with the dough which has yet to be announced, then the contract could be broken or actually lost in the carnage of lacking a sponsor or a sponsor leaving for reason X or Y.

Fidolix said:
If Riis are able to sign Contador for 3 years it means the budget is in place!!
And the reinforcements and nessesary WT points will follow with new contracts.

Its gonna be interesting to watch.

But be sure Riis got it solved now, and AC would never sign a contract for 3 years if there were the slightest chance they wouldnt get the WT license.
I wouldnt be surprised either if Riis already had made deals with riders who got the points already.

Riis said 2 months ago he had a huge puzzle to solve and if it succeeded we would see a new Saxo bank team on the scene... I guess it succeeded.

Or the contract has a clause which Contador releases in case the team doesn't make the WT, it's as simple as that...

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
;)

My point is, I have an opinion, you dont like it or argree with it?
Then just say so, trying to be a smartazz dont impress anybody pisto, especially not me ;)
Nuyens win in Vlandern were nice, but fact is the guy got dropped and it was pure luck others were willing to work to catch up with the breakaway. And what have he won since? Nada!!